What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic pH Up/Down

BBWluva

just 1 gal at a time,i got a very small kitchen measuring spoon and marked it so i know how much to use each time with out guessing.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Verite said:
Peruvian seabird guano makes for a great ph up subst.

I`ll have to pick some up and try it then.
:headbange

Verite what brand are you using?

S

G

Hope this isn't off thread here. I'm trying to find pH adjusters that are semi -permanent fixtures in the environment.

ie: Limestone will dissolve slowly when exposed to pH less than 7. It will continue to dissolve till the pH reaches 7. Wood, in aerated soil will get hit by fungi that in turn get eaten by enzymes and this process emits ammonia which begins nitrification, a by product of which brings pH down. The limestone feeds the fungi, the fungi forces more 'dissolving' from the limestone.

This I can produce in a water system, but in organic soil you (should) have all the same bacteria and processes happening, so I think it's viable.

There are many 'pH down' additions to organic gardening that are good for it, these should continue to force the nitrification process in the substrate.

ie: Peat, humic and fulvic acid, wood chip (and why wouldn't you encourage fungi!) and much more.

I'm a student of soil in this forum. What is typical for your pH, tries to drift up, or down?

Last edited:

ReeferDan

BBWluva said:
just 1 gal at a time,i got a very small kitchen measuring spoon and marked it so i know how much to use each time with out guessing.

thanks for the 1 pinch advice! I adjusted about 3 gallons yesterday and my ph was at ~8.3, i put a small pinch of EJ ph down in and stirred it up, it went down to about 7.0. Then i stirred it some more and waited a minute and it was perfectly at 6.5 for my Moonshine Mix. I wanted to make sure it wouldnt change any more, so i mixed up 4 gallons of soil and transplanted 4 plants, then checked it again and it was still at 6.5 so i watered em in and all was good! Not bad for my first try ph'ing water!

G

BongSong said:
I'm a student of soil in this forum. What is typical for your pH, tries to drift up, or down?

Hard Tap Well water PH at 7.8 when I bubble it goes to 8.2.

Adjust with EJ Organic down to 5.5 for Aero or 6.5 for tea's.

Bubbling tea's or Aero Organic - it climbs back to 8 within 12 hrs every time..

I can add 1/8ts down every couple hours to 12L of bubbling water to get it back at 5.5 but in a few hrs it back in the 7's & climbing ?

Are the Mirco herd eating the PH down ? The organic down seems to be just vitamin C..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts