What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic Vs. Chemical Nutes/Additives Side By Side (Roots Organics vs GH FloraDuo)

D

DGSIX

I have been growing increasingly curious about the difference between plants grown with chems and organics, so I decided to just conduct a little experiment to see which I liked working with more.

All of my prior indoor gardening experience had been with organics. First w/ Fox Farm products, then with Roots Organics line. I really enjoy the Roots line. Had great luck with it on 2 crops and this years crop of vegetables :dance013:

So here we go....

The Line Up

8 Royal Queen Seeds "Blue Mystic" (front)
8 Resin Seeds "Bubblicious" Bubblegum x Lavender (back)
2 gal smart pots 50/50 Vermicrop Organics Vermisoil and CocoNot

The Nutes

Currently my clones are in their second week of veg in the smart pots under 600w MH after starting in a TurboKlone24 and vegging in 4in nursery pots for 2 wks prior to transplant. Reverse Osmosis water always. Needless to say I went light for this first feeding. Seedling strength for some fairly established cuts.

Organics

400ppm ph 6.0
5ml Roots Buddha Grow
5ml Roots Trinity
5ml Roots Extreme Serene
2.5ml General Organics CaMg+
2.5ml Advanced Floriculture Bloom Roots

Chem

I'm following the General Hydro FloraDuo simple drain to waste program, just replacing General Hydro Rapidstart with Advanced Floriculture Bloom Roots till I run out and replace it with Rapidstart. Also using the hygrozyme on this side of the tent as well.

530ppm ph 6.0
2.5ml General Hydro FloraDuo A
1ml General Hydro FloraDuo B
15ml General Hydro FloraBlend
1ml General Hydro Floralicious Plus
2.5ml Hygrozyme

I will be updating this log weekly. Did I post in the right area of the forum? Please let me know if there is anything else you'd like to see or if there's something i'm missing and/or doing wrong.

I love ICMAG and I am glad to finally be in a position where I can contribute to the community that's been a great influence and a well of information. Thanks!

:wave: DG :wave:

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I gotta say I like the looks of this one so far. Post away and let's all hope it turns out as good as I think it will.

Be Well
Mr.Wags

Rjstoner

you sould get some clones the fact that its seeds with throw results out the window due to differences in phenotypes

D

DGSIX

Hey everyone, thanks for the kind words. This should be a fun run and I feel the fact that i'm doing this side by side will help me become a more meticulous gardener.

you should get some clones the fact that its seeds with throw results out the window due to differences in phenotypes

Already took this into consideration and neglected to mention that these are all clones from feminized mom's, sorry! They are all identical, but there are 3 that got transplanted a few days later so they are a bit runty compared to the rest. I figure they'll fill out in 12/12 though.

Follow up with pics and whatnot shortly. :jump:

-DG-

Rjstoner

Already took this into consideration and neglected to mention that these are all clones from feminized mom's, sorry! They are all identical, but there are 3 that got transplanted a few days later so they are a bit runty compared to the rest.

-DG-

sweet man should be a good thread. i use GH flora series my roomates about to use roots organics full lines for the first time any tips on that?

and by the way you did mention they are clones im just a stoner whose short term memories are not so good lol

Goodluck
rj

D

DGSIX

Week 2

Week 2

Here we go, week 2! I think i'm going to veg for the rest of this week and if I feel they are ready sunday night, I will change to my Hortilux 1000w HPS bulb and 12/12 on Monday.

I also highly suggest the LST. Just started monday and already the tops are turned back up nicely with a perfect little bend under the 3rd node.

So far, so good...

This time it's the Bubblicious up front and the Blue Mystic in back.

When I take them out to inspect/water/feed them I start with the front two, slide everyone forward, and when the two that have been watered finish running off, they go to the back so they all get a new spot in the tent every couple days. I also give them a 1/4 turn clockwise every morning.

I'm still running with the same nutes and additives, I just went for a heavier feeding this time.

Organic

615ppm
15ml Roots Buddha Grow
10ml Roots Trinity
15ml Roots Extreme Serene

Chem

640ppm ph 6.0
7.5ml General Hydro FloraDuo A
2.5ml General Hydro FloraDuo B
10ml General Hydro FloraBlend
1ml General Hydro Floralicious Plus
2.5ml Hygrozyme

There are 3 clones in here that are a few days behind the others, but I figure they will probably fill out just fine. Wont get a chance to train them, but, we'll then get to see the difference in both varieties when LST'd and when not.

I also have an extra blue mystic vegging in there on stand by in a 1 gal plastic pot in case the smallest of the pack doesn't seem to be doing too much.

Comments, questions, criticism?

Thanks!
:tiphat:DG:tiphat:

D

DGSIX

Yo, RJ

My suggestions on the roots line.

1. Use distilled/r.o./de-chlorinated water always

2. Don't buy their soils for indoor unless you get the new INDOOR MIX. It's just way too hot to transplant into even sometimes. Great for set n forget outdoor spots though!

3. Just like any other brand of nutes, start with a lighter feeding. I like to start with either 5 - 10ml of everything (on they're feeding chart it says seedlings 5ml - beginning veg 10 ml)

I also for the first time am not PH balancing the water I use to feed the organics and see no ill effects on the girls. I was always a bit skeptical of this, but it seems to be the way of the organics.

D

DGSIX

That's what i'm looking to find out, if it tastes any better/different. So far the organic plants seem to be growing a bit faster. Wont get truly interesting for about a month.

Rjstoner

a buddie of mine who dont go online or take pics did full H&G versus full humboldt line
got way more yield with h&g but better tasting from humboldt i think this will be close to the same results but who knows

C21H30O2

I have ridden the mighty sandworm.
Veteran
No offense, but if you come over to the organic forum you'll see that "organic" from a bottle is not the same thing as true living organic soil. To give organics a fare shake you should be using compost, rock dust, and mulches. You should be building your micro-herd so that they can feed your plant, not measuring out liquid from a bottle, measuring pH, or determining the ppm. These things mean nothing in living soil. Respect.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
No offense, but if you come over to the organic forum you'll see that "organic" from a bottle is not the same thing as true living organic soil. To give organics a fare shake you should be using compost, rock dust, and mulches. You should be building your micro-herd so that they can feed your plant, not measuring out liquid from a bottle, measuring pH, or determining the ppm. These things mean nothing in living soil. Respect.

Word.:scripture:

D

DGSIX

I respect your opinion and love TLO. But, this is roots organics line vs general hydro flora duo. Otherwise it would have been titled TLO vs. Chem side by side.

My intentions by this are to debunk whether or not it's even worth it to run these 7 bottle organic nute systems such as Roots or General Organics in soil and coco It's far more exspensive than TLO and maybe far less effective.

Also, I do ammend my growing medium with benneficial bacteria w/ great white as well as water it in every few weeks, feed it humics, use enzymes that clean the soil and create better nutrient uptake, and use a catalyst to feed bio life. So is it still not organic?

I really appreciate the constructive criticism and would like to learn more about TLO from you and the other members here at IC. I am simply using what I have left from my last 2 grows then i will be getting soil and the amendments to make a TLO run as well.

Thanks,
-DG-

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
there will always be people who want the side by side to be different - but this is what it is.
there are many different ways to do organic just like everything else, you cant test them all in a simple side by side.
i would urge anyone wanting a particular type of test to go ahead and arrange a side by side of their own rather than criticizing someone else's comparison or derailing the thread with talk of methods that arent being tested here.

VG

Latest posts

Latest posts