What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The CannaBunker Begins

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
Here are some more shots showing half of the backfill and a few more angles. You can see the relation between the primary and secondary entrances in the second picture. There's a Koi pond in the 3rd picture, but that no longer exists. (I'm building another one now) You can also see the existing sewer pipe that leads to the septic tank.

An interesting, and gross, little tidbit is that my old leach field and septic tank were smack dab in the middle of my bunker. I had to break the tank up, and burry it with the backfill. It was kind of disturbing thinking that I might be digging up little fecal funoodles from my childhood. GROSS!

amazing build up! everyday when looking at homes, the only thing i can ever think of is "this will make a great lab!" or "oh man i can build an amazing outdoor garden area!"

best of luck man, cant wait to see this completed

O

OrganicOzarks

Why do you have to rub this in the everyone's face? Because you can!:) This thing is just cool as hell. I do believe there are a lot of people on here that have dreamed of this exact thing. Dream no more.

TB Gardens

Veteran
moreee pics! baaah i need to see this thing complete and in action!!! i think everyone has dreamed about the bunker at some point... dreamed.. holy shit bro, you made it happen! +rep

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
The next step is to add a sturdy ceiling truss to support the weight of a 12" slab of concrete, 12" of sand, and a paver patio. And a skid steer. And my fat ass.

Man, trying to do this right, with beam span tables, and ideal weight distribution is difficult, since building codes are different wherever you live. Also, there's no centralized code for building an underground shelter, so I decided to stick with tradition, and go over-kill. In the tables, I just used the most extreme example. A roof meant to hold multiple feet of snow. As long as the span was no more than 8' without support, 2x10's would hold for my case, each 12" on center, with a few points doubled up on. The total weight supported by the ceiling trusses is somewhere around 100,000 pounds.

You can see the support beam, on one end, is resting on a 2x10 bolted to the foundation, and on the other end, is resting in the notch in the wall. I used cross bracing on either side, and in the middle. The support beam itself is made up of four 2x10 beams, timberlocked together. Getting that bohemouth in place was one of the many times that I wished someone was helping me.

I was originally going to support the beam with two laly columns, but this time the overkill would get in the way of my plants. Anyway, there'd be another point of support after adding an interior timber framed wall, splitting the area into a veg and flower room.

TB Gardens

Veteran
bahh man you are killing me. can i move in, ill keep it clean and tidy as hell in there ;-) plus im a big guy, i can share that mixing load next time. lol. DAMN i want this so bad

RipVanWeed

Much Respect Bunker,

I've raised a few eyebrows regarding digging, mixing concrete, and other labor by myself.

Doesn't come close to what your posting up here. Again, much respect.

Contact a couple of the moderators and I believe they'll up your picture counts and whatnot. Your stuff is well worth showing. Pretty good job of showing the steps involved in a project like this.

Please keep the show going, subscribed.

Hats off to you,

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
Someone said how it looked like I was building a boat. It may even float, after all of the moisture protection. I sealed the "exterior" with tar, and then with sheet plastic as a vapor barrier. You can finally start to see where I'm going with all of this. The last picture, I've started boxing myself in. There's also a glimpse of the travesty to come with the concrete shoot in the last picture. A single human cannot mix concrete fast enough to make a shoot worth while. Just for anyone who gets the bright idea to try this. Concrete is nearly immobile, even when it's in liquid form. Pushing concrete around is like trying to get into a strip club wearing a dildo on your forehead. You can't push the bouncers around.

In the last picture, you can see the dirt ramp I made (ala the Romans at Masada) so that I could transport the mixed concrete via wheelbarrow to the edge of the wall. Oh, I'm back on concrete again, and we haven't even seen the slab pouring yet. Reliving this should be painful. So, the slab pouring commences!

EDIT: The sil plates holding the ceiling 2x10's are pressure treated. I capped the ends with another 2x10 to covered the exposed ceiling cross-braces. I wanted anything that might be near moisture on a regular basis to be PT. It's kind of weird thinking that EVENTUALLY, all of the ceiling will rot out, and... hmmm, what then? Occasionally, I get a drip at the corner near the stairs. I never realized that water could seep (actually, flow) into the house's foundation, and around all of my waterproofing. I need to seal the entire foundation, but water WILL eventually find a way. Timescale? It has a few hundred years before the ceiling fails. Even then, the ceiling concrete slab will prevent the patio from caving in. But really? Fuck it man. My great-great grandkids can worry about that. I might not even have to worry about that, since smoking weed makes you sterile.

Latest posts

Latest posts