What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Too green or not too green?

SoaringHi

This is my first crop with coco, been growing in soil for about 3 years; 6 cycles at most. So far I'm loving this method of growing, unbelievable growth, health etc... I am using canna bagged coco with canna A, B, Rhizo, Cannazyme and PK 13/14. Hand watering once per day with nutes and pure H2O for one watering once each week.
I have been picking up bits and pieces of info from around here stating that too much green, luscious growth is not such a good thing with coco. I have been knocking the nutes down bit by bit to try and lighten the color up some, so far it's not working at all that i can see. I snapped this pic the other day with the MH lamp off, the leaves are actually at least a shade darker than they appear in the photo (probably the flash). Do you think a 5-8 day flush would help this situation out any, will it effect the quality of the end product?
Thanks everyone so far for the inspiration to go forward with leaving soil behind. When i was growing in soil i never had a problem with too much greenery, always the opposite..necrosis, chorosis etc..

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
I've experimented with flushing (in veg) every other day at lights out (they don't eat at night) and I am impressed. I was having issues with two strains in particular (GDP and Urkle)....they were dark geen...but the real tell-tale sign IMO is dry, "crunchy" leaves....I like the results....(this is not a reccomendation...just posting what has worked for me..ok..here we go :D )

In bloom I am considering experimenting with feeding every other watering...

Your plants look great by the way.... :)

G

I've been told a couple times that mine are too dark green too. :chin: I really don't think you can have too much lucious green growth. Too dark green yes, that's a sign of too much N. Yours look just fine too me :confused: How far along are they? Take the N away and they'll yellow up for you. If it was me I'd leave them alone. I can't even see a burnt tip on them. Good job and good luck whatever you decide with them.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
flushing is a great help to the coco grower, but i have found it best not to do long flushes, days long. instead do one long concentrated flushing session and then go back to normal nutes. at this point you don't really have to worry about over ferting them as they have made their colas and are still white, which means they are still building up, so don't all of a sudden starve them for long periods it will just stress them. the time to change to plain water for 5 days or a week is once you see the first amber trichome heads. flushing too early is a pity. flushing too long is contra productive. the best taste is achieved with 3 to 5 days with below ec 1.0 in the slabs and just water being given. you can shorten your flush by pumping a tank of water through the system to get all the nutes out of the slabs quick, then leave them another 3 days with normal watering with just ph corrected water.

SoaringHi

Thanks for the compliment VT.
The plant is 30ish days into flower when i took that picture oldpeculiar, it is female seeds grapefruit. And your right, there aren't any burned tips on the leaves so I guess im doing ok on the feeding and the dark green is probably not that big of a deal. So I'm just going to keep running her at half nute strength with my normal routine i have going then switch to plain water for the last few days before the chop.

Latest posts

Latest posts