What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco And ROck Wool... Will this work?

B

Blunted22

Ok guys i got a aero flow cloner that kicks ass and sprouts the roots like amazing fast with the best lookign roots ive ever seen....

The problem with cloneing this way is that i have no medium to hold my plants up. i use a flood and drain and have my plants in 4" rock wool cubes that are made for a 1 inch cubed clone/cutting to go into.

My question to you guys is i also have a bag of coco and was wondering if i dug out the 4" rock alitle deeper then filled it with coco then secured my clone from my aero flow cloner into it if i would notice anything different/better from haveing them root through 2 to 3" of coco and staying in it through the blooming peroid.

Any help with this would be great, my only exp with coco is i had my mom just buetiful and then it started to look like it was infected with mites, but ABSOLUTELY no mites ON the plant it eventually died and after it died i dug though the coco tot relize they were in the coco web it to hell and was eating the roots of my mothers. Ever si9nce then i never used coco.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i don't know if i get you 100% but if you have lose coco you should probably just plant the clones in a small pot of coco. unles you want to use the rw cubes, then i suppose it should work to plant the roots in the hole and fill up around the roots with coco. is that what you meant?

B

Blunted22

yea exactly what i meant i spent you know 200$ on a case of 4" RW cubes and i decided for time and root healthiness sakes i was going to start reusing my 120 aeroflow cloner. If i use that the plants dont grow root through any medium so without wasting my money on the rockwool i already bought i was thinking if i dug out a inch of RW and placed it with coco then put in the plant added more coco and try and stabalize it(keep it upright) with 1" RW cubes.

I jsut wondering if the coco being so little will have any positive effects on my plants.

B

Blunted22

O yea me and my buddy doing this had our moms in coco and get a mite infestation IN THE COCO. We couldnt understand it all the signs of mites with no mites. it got to the point where we siad if we dotn take cutting now were going to lose the strain, so we took cuts and the moms died. Later we lifted up the coco to find it FULL OF WEBS.

The damn mites were in the coco eatign the roots. We then never used coco again i was just wondering if this is a common problem cause ive never heard a negitive thing about coco but am now SOOOO afraid to use it agian.

aeric

Veteran
Which brand of coco? maybe it was a cheap one or bad batch...otherwise it's your location/practices. I've never heard of that, the high quality brands (b'cuzz, canna, botanicare) shouldn't ever have that problem.

Latest posts

Latest posts