What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Alcove: Another LED Tale

starke

I must begin by thanking member methias for the inspiration for this grow. His threads HERE and HERE are what got my mind turning (pun intended). My misses on the other hand will probably want to shoot him.

So I have this alcove that is a space filler between the rear of the garden tub and the wall in the master bath, in other words totally wasted space. It measures 49.5 inches wide, 20 inches deep and 54 inches tall (50 inches usable). The walls are painted kind of a dark tan. The base material is a thin sheet good hardboard of some kind and would not support any weight. I built a 3/4 inch plywood tray to distribute weight to the framing members along the walls. This tray increased the width to 22 inches. In the past I have used this area to veg plants under a homemade SIL fixture:

picture.php

And recently I tried flowering plants under a 5000K 321 watt LED shop fixture:

picture.php

I have just used the space as the mood suited me, with no real worries about the environment. The master bath has no windows and I have stapled a piece of panda film to the gap at the bottom of the entrance door. The doorway is approximately 12 feet from the alcove on the opposite side of the room. I have not experienced any light leak issues thus far. The only environmental controls are the central heat and air duct located in the bathroom ceiling and a ten inch oscillating fan to stir the air around the ladies. There will almost always be an issue of low humidity both in summer or winter, veg or flower except briefly while the shower or tub is being used. Oh well.

After reading methias' thread though, I have decided to try and up my game for this small space and turn it into a perpetual harvest flower area. So let's get started. First a little panda film to give the tan walls a little reflectivity: (Yeah I know flat white would be best but that would mean painting the entire bathroom and I hate painting more than I hate the shit brown wall color.)

picture.php

Then let's add two 18 inch diameter product display turntables that I found HERE on Amazon:

picture.php

methias built the turntable he utilizes and his cost for his latest variation was $57.00 or so. At $72.95 I figured the $16.00 extra cost each was worth my time and trouble building two. I imagine methias' will outlast these, however. Even though rated for 110 pounds, the very poorly written chinese translation operator pamphlet tries to give a description of duty cycle. Basically after eight hours of "strenuous labor" the unit should be allowed two hours "rest". We'll see how long they last at 12/12.

On the right turntable I've put two plants that were already being flowered in the alcove: One Hawaiian Snow and one Tripleberry #14 pheno from member browntrout's genetics. These plants finished four weeks 12/12 yesterday. They are in one gallon Hempy's with perlite and hydroton. They are badly root bound and should have been up-potted before flower. I'll be happy if they survive to harvest.

On the left turntable is a bagseed clone I have affectionately named "Bag Lady". She is a sparkler and I'm hoping to use her for some rosin extraction. I bent her tallest tops over so she would fit under the light and she began her first 12/12 cycle last night. She was transplanted from a one gallon to a three gallon Hempy yesterday. Her lowers have not been defoliated and will only be plucked for leaves blocking budsites. It sure would be nice to be able to harvest all those lower bud sites I have to defoliate in my regular flower room SCROG.

picture.php

With that goal in mind, let's add another 321 watt actual draw LED shoplight at 5000K. A couple washers and a slight repurposing of the hanging hardware allowed me to hang the light vertically:

Continued below:

starke

Continued

Continued

Last image and conclusion:

picture.php

So in theory we have a total of 642 watts of 5000K illuminating a slightly smaller than 2x4 space. More importantly the lower bud sites are rotating past a light source every four minutes. My meter says the tops are receiving between 1000 - 1100 umols. Lower budsites located where they were only receiving 150-300 umols by the top light alone are now receiving 700-1100 umols as the plants rotate around. The reflective reading coming off the back panda film is 500 umols at a distance of six inches.

The goal here is to duplicate methias' results and pull about six plus zips off a three gallon plant with little training and no SCROG. These results would come close to what I achieve per plant in my SCROG room. If I can keep a clone veg cycle going to produce a plant ready to flower every four weeks then I can produce enough bud to feed the misses and mines new found love of rosin.

Stay tuned.

Peace,
starke

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking forward to seeing this round!

How heavy are those containers you're growing in?

piramidon

recidivist icmag - OUT-ist convins - microgrower
Veteran
The turntables are a stroke of genius, you got yourself a new stalker. :biggrin:

starke

Weekly Update

Weekly Update

Well the Bag Lady plant on the left has given me a new experience. Normally when I crush a stem and bend it over, they usually do not bend over much past 90 degrees with the other strains I run. Usually within 8 - 12 hour they are almost upright again. These stems flopped all the way over, almost parallel to the lower part of the stem at day two, and five days later were still in that position, although the tips had all re-curved towards the light. So yesterday I took plant wire and wired the bent tops in a more upright position. Pistils are coming on strong and bud sites have begun to develop although she is still a little stressed from the transplant and training:

picture.php

The Hawaiian Snow and Tripleberry #14 on the right turntable continue to grow and the buds are fattening nicely, although the Tberry plant looks like it should be dead. Just going to let them run as long as they can. About three weeks to go if they make it:

picture.php

Peace,
starke

starke

Weekly Update

Weekly Update

The Bag Lady plant on the left turntable continues to put on bud sites, although she has been slow to recover from the transplant and training. Part of this slow recovery can probably also be attributed to the constant low humidity. I have also discovered that I need to do a better job of training future plants for the alcove, particularly regarding training them to grow straight up with little spread. But since this is just the beginning of the experiment I imagine there will be plenty of other changes needed as time progresses. Bag Lady this morning:

picture.php

The Tripleberry #14 and Hawaiian Snow on the right turntable continue to pack on weight and trichs and are just about ready to harvest. They completed six weeks of flower this past Wednesday and I began flushing then. The Tripleberry continues to amaze me. She looks like she should be dead but continues to drink and put on weight. Her pot is light as a feather each morning so she is still taking up all the water given. She has about ten percent brown trichs and I will probably chop her tomorrow:

picture.php

Tripleberry #14 Bud:

picture.php

Tripleberry Trichs:

picture.php

continued below...

starke

Update Continued

Update Continued

The Hawaiian Snow probably has another week to go:

picture.php

Hawaiian Snow Trichs:

picture.php

Peace,
starke

starke

Weekly Update

Weekly Update

Today marks three weeks of flower for the Bag Lady plant on the left turntable. She continues to build buds and seems to be happy so far. My training on her sucked so she has a really weird structure. Her buds are looking frosty already though. She is one who likes to cover the sugar and fan leaves with trichs too. That's why I'm hoping she will be worth squishing for rosin.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The Tripleberry #14 and Hawaiian Snow on the right turntable have been harvested and were just placed in jars. A little over a zip off the Tripleberry (31 grams) and a little under a zip off the Snow (27 grams).

Peace,
starke

starke

Update Flower Day 28

Update Flower Day 28

Bag Lady just finished up her fourth week of 12/12 yesterday. Had company in town so I'm a day late with the update. She is showing what appears to be classic N def. That is not really making any sense as she is receiving the same nutes as her sisters in the flower room. Not really sure what is up with her. This coming week should be interesting. Think I'll check her runoff in the morning when I feed.

Next week I'll put another Bag Lady clone on the other turntable and hopefully begin a perpetual cycle of harvest every four to five weeks.

Today:

picture.php

Peace,
starke

q3corn

I have the same problem every now and then, Starke, where a plant is getting plenty of nitrogen but shows deficiency. I think some plants are just a lot hungrier than others. I've noticed that with my jack cross recently.

starke

I chopped the Bag Lady plant today as she continued to deteriorate over the last couple of days. Her root ball did not show any obvious signs of rot but her roots were the smallest and most fragile I have seen. I think I kept her feet too wet from the time I transplanted her to the three gallon and flipped her to flower.

Anyway, that part of this little experiment is over. I will be transplanting another Bag Lady clone and putting her in flower in the next day or so. The experiment will continue.

Peace,
starke

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Nice side grow set up :) I’m often tempted to do a little side grow somewhere in my house muahaha. My misses be all for it though she smokes 20x the amount I do lol.

I love turn table and side lighting deal. I’m gonna check out Methias’ links on you posted about that. I might end up gettin some for my future cycles as I’ll be growing 1 big plant between two of my 2’x4’ SIL fixtures.

It should be easy to add a little humidity to that space no? Tie a hand towel to the bottom of the back of a small fan that hangs in some water for a quick fix? Humidifier on a humidistat?

I’ll subscribe for sure I love this little set up. Excited to see the future cycles here. I like those shop lights you have, where did you get them, how much cost? Got a link to em?

Much love Starke.

Latest posts

Latest posts