What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The New Lab

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So I'm working in a decent space nowadays,, here is the kit im about to start using tomorrow,, 5 kg of trim ready to go,,,this is just the start of me building a real lab and all the toys you can dream of,,

Who's with me,,, now how the fuk do I use this shit

Last edited:

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is methanol OK for cleaning my inherited kit,,, im about to go and buy all the bits tomorrow,, can anyone see something im missing apart from dry ice and butane, coffee filters,,,below was my shopping list

Non bleached coffee filters (asda)
Iso
Newport butane or whipit? <needs distilling>
Non lint alcohol wipes
Black nitrel gloves
Shallow storage box as cleaning tray
Gas sniffer (screw fix)
Lazer temp gun

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I gave up on oil, but was looking at what it takes to make it better than a simple blast. There is this hot plate with a magnetic stirrer, that looked perfect to cook down the last of the ETOh after winterizing. Otherwise, a vacuum setup would help.

Oops, I see the pump in back. Good luck. IMO the best way to buy solvent is in a 20# tank. They cost about $210 delivered, when I looked several months ago. Clean, some ratio of solvents which I think is for polarity.

Last edited:

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bro,, this is a closed loop extraction system. Using butane,, dry ice in the jacket,,

Do you guys know if its OK to clean my kit with methanol and kitchen roll?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bro,, this is a closed loop extraction system. Using butane,, dry ice in the jacket,,

Do you guys know if its OK to clean my kit with methanol and kitchen roll?

Yes, you can clean with methanol.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can I also use methanol to super freeze the dry ice,,, will it produce poison gas?,,

I have done a few lil experiments,, see what you think

The plan is to do 2 butane washes,, hopefully soon il have isobutane over whipits,, then a dexso wash at the end to clear out 100% of the leftover goodies,, I was considering bulk isomerisation on the methelether (dexso) wash at the end

Last edited:

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yesterday I couldn't reclaim my butane fast enough and I just blew it off,, I noticed 2 secs later I was blowing off my oil in a whip like condition,, it was actually beautifully whipped,, I covered a fukin towel in it,, so so gutted

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm thinking of doing 2 separate butane washes and a dexso wash at the end to complete the extraction of all cannabinoids at the end,, then with the dexso wash do a bulk isomerisation with the dexso oil to increase potency,, the question of adding cbd isolate to me mix allso beggs a decision

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can you show me an example of a cheap stainless storage tank

Would I have to clean or prep the tank in the previous link?

Thanks for your help GW

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can you show me an example of a cheap stainless storage tank

Would I have to clean or prep the tank in the previous link?

Thanks for your help GW
https://shopbvv.com/collections/solvent-tanks

You can use the carbon steel tanks, but need to invert them regularly and after sitting inverted, crack the vapor valve to vent any water. If the water is allowed to sit, it will rust the tank.

The carbon steel tank otherwise works fine and is DOT approved, which the stainless are not.

You will also have to vent the stainless tanks to remove the water, or once it reaches the dip tube, it will enter your process.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My set up will soon consist of,, this solvent tank above sat at a high point,, blast tube slightly lower,, blast tube and oil cilinder on dry ice,, below that is the recover cilinder,, the recovery cilinder is 6inch and 3foot tall,, the oil cilinder is 2ft tall and 6inch,, blast tube is 4inch and then another 3inch inch tube 3 ft and 2ft connected ,, this rig is huge now,,

I have just pulled out a slab from the oven that I applied pressure to by not purging and using the oven as a Mason jar,,, mini dimonds and sauce,, im kinda impressed with myself

prune

Veteran
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181336846116

I have just bought this,, I hope its the right thing,??

Any tips on cleaning it?

Thanks again GW,, you are simply amazing!

you're going to have problems with those valves if you pump dry ice temp butane through them, the packing freezes and lets gas pass.

cleaning is difficult, you're limited to a rinse at best, but you do want to get the manufacturing residue out.

the purpose-built stainless tanks usually have a port large enough to do a real scrub and clean. you will upgrade as soon as you get the rust, it will stain the oil as well as being very lung un-friendly.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You mean the rust will stain the oil?,, or just the tank itself from the get go,,?,,, GW,, have I made a bad choice here?

Wfsts the best way to deal with this?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You mean the rust will stain the oil?,, or just the tank itself from the get go,,?,,, GW,, have I made a bad choice here?

Wfsts the best way to deal with this?

Ferrous oxide is not soluble in LPG, but rusty water makes a mess.

The best way to deal with it, is to vent the water after each days processing. Turn the tank upside down and let it sit for thirty minutes or so, and then crack the vapor valve to discharge any water.

If the water gets deep enough in your tank to be picked up by the dip tube, it will enter your oil. Unless you are running wet material, that should take longer than one day.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

So soon as I get it,, I need to vent it,, then I need to swill it with butane,, or dimethyl ether??,,im guessing I need to ger rid of machine oils,, ,, then empty the washing solvent and vent it again. Maybe even whipit to get rid of the water,,,??

Then I'm good to go for a lil while with this shitty tank to hold my extra distilled butane and possibly dimethyl ether

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82900&pictureid=2039527&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82900&pictureid=2039528&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

So soon as I get it,, I need to vent it,, then I need to swill it with butane,, or dimethyl ether??,,im guessing I need to ger rid of machine oils,, ,, then empty the washing solvent and vent it again. Maybe even whipit to get rid of the water,,,??

Then I'm good to go for a lil while with this shitty tank to hold my extra distilled butane and possibly dimethyl ether

The tank is probably filled with Nitrogen and otherwise clean inside, but being from an unknown manufacturer, a rinse couldn't hurt. The nitrogen is inert and ultra low humidity, so no water should be present initially.

Be careful with dimethyl ether! Your valve seals may not be suitable for that application.

Latest posts

Latest posts