What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Acetone...the best solvent for cannabis, IF you can purge it...

DJWhoDunnit420

So after extensive reading and some experimenting, it is clear that acetone hands down is far and away the best solvent for cannabis. At -5F I have been pulling some very excellent oils. I wanted to try acetone after reading a patent laying out the use of dry ice and acetone to pull exact terp profiles and it appears to describe by far the most efficient extraction of cannabis.

The alkanes while very effective at pulling cannabinoids are not as effective at pulling terpenes as an individual solvent, leading to the use of mixed gases to increase the terp content. Now, I 100% agree that with the right mix of gases, the use of liquid nitrogen, and whatever it costs for a CLS that alkanes can be used to produce a terp rich and accurate profile...that being said, shit is astronomically more dangerous and expensive than 15 bucks at walmart and 10 bucks wherever you get your dry ice at.

I have not yet tried using the co2 co-solvent, but its immediately obvious to someone who has been making qwiso/qwet for half a dozen years, how much better acetone is at grabbing the good shit than alcohol. I will be trying to get dry ice today or tomorrow and give it a run.

Everything is super shattery, even too shattery sometimes, combine hat with acetone's love affair for all things cannabis, and you can see why it is hard to purge completely. So far ive been exoerimenting with heat purging, vac purging (no heat though and its in my buddy's garage so its actually cooler), and various physical manipulations such as squishing as flat as can be, then warming some just enough to slowly pull the sheet :and let the already thin oil split onto both halves of the sheet, then waiting a bit balling up, and repeat. I need to get my own vac cuz my buddy is worried that if he puts it close to the heater that his plants will get cold...id really like to have it be a solid 90 before pulling vac on it..I dont wanna throw everclear in it and lose all the terps. What do you guys think I should try? I have almost 4 more lbs of material to run through, so I need to dial in a process where ill be able to turn out a product without harmful levels of acetone and not have to try as hard as I have been lol, I got it below any sensory perception and I have a super sniffer so if someone could smell or taste it, so would i lol I wish testing was cheaper, id like to get some of what I have already done tested so I have an idea of how hard it really is to get out. I was thinking of dropping an oz or 2 of water in with the acetone while there's still a decent amount of acetone left, not sure it would help :woohoo: though...

prune

Veteran
Back in the day I was told a (true) story about a young dad who was shocked by the cost of a ceiling fan, so he decided he could build one cheaper and better himself. The industrious fellow then decided to weld a few pieces of sheet metal to the end of a salvaged washing machine motor. Turned it on and was eviscerated by a flying fan blade, in front of his son...

troutman

Seed Whore
Acetone boils at 56°C and removing it from an extract is easy. :tiphat:
This is what I would do.
  1. Extract cannabis using only acetone.
  2. Distill out a good portion of the acetone out and stop the distillation.
  3. After the flask cools off, add lots of ethanol which distills at just below 80°C and restart the distillation process.
  4. All of the acetone will distill off prior to all of the ethanol.
Ethanol is safer to consume and it's higher boiling point will allow you to remove the acetone 1st.

Continue removing the ethanol and voila and you should have fairly acetone-free extract.

WishDoctor

evap your acetone on a mirror without any additives and watch the fog crap left behind, acetone has poisons added.
bad shit
every underground chemist knows this and avoids acetone.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
evap your acetone on a mirror without any additives and watch the fog crap left behind, acetone has poisons added.
bad shit

100% pure BS. 100% acetone is 100% acetone.

If you want to do an evaporation test for non-volatile residue, the standard is to start with a 100ml sample. A larger 300ml sample reveals the non-volatile residue so you can see and weight it.

Last edited:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Acetone boils at 56°C and removing it from an extract is easy. :tiphat:
This is what I would do.
  1. Extract cannabis using only acetone.
  2. Distill out a good portion of the acetone out and stop the distillation.
  3. After the flask cools off, add lots of ethanol which distills at just below 80°C and restart the distillation process.
  4. All of the acetone will distill off prior to all of the ethanol.
Ethanol is safer to consume and it's higher boiling point will allow you to remove the acetone 1st.

Continue removing the ethanol and voila and you should have fairly acetone-free extract.

(PDE = Permitted Daily Exposure)

Conclusion:
The PDE for ethanol is 166.7 mg/day.

Conclusion:
The PDE for acetone is 210.0 mg/day.

APPENDIX 6. TOXICOLOGICAL DATA FOR CLASS 3 SOLVENTS
(draft document used to support the FDA residual standards guidelines Q3C)

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/UCM073403.pdf

Everyone should take a look at that document.

Conclusion:
The PDE for 2-propanol (isopropyl alcohol) is 138 mg/day.

Conclusion:
The PDE for pentane is 604.6 mg/day.

Conclusion:
The PDE for heptane is 840 mg/day.

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
bad shit

Which is why I recommend that you distill solvents obtained from sources other than scientific supply places.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
bad shit

Some underground chemists love acetone - maybe their standards are not high. Maybe not all acetone is bad, or bad acetone can be cleaned by some simple method that's going to be done anyway like distillation.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bad shit

Acetone based nail polish remover does not equal 100% pure acetone.

100% pure acetone can be nail polish remover.

This isn't confusing, do a search for acetone at Amazon or eBay, the products that are 100% pure acetone are clearly labeled as such, those that contain skin conditioners and scents don't claim to be 100% pure acetone and are labeled for specific use as nail polish remover.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...9?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=acetone

Or any home improvement store in the US carries 100% pure acetone, my Home Depot has it in up to five gallon pails.

DJWhoDunnit420

Well I did lots of experiments with the dry ice to see how long before things turned green, as well as what kind of method to go about doing for running large amounts of material. I can tell you this, this tech is no joke, soooooo many terps.

Took 70 minutes, over 3 runs on buds before chlorophyll was pulled. 25 minutes on trim. Trim that was shredded was green within the first 10.

Hope to have some pictures for you guys in the morning.

Hey ya brain dead fuck, Walmart doesn't sell reagents.

Please mods shut this dangerous thread down. You gotta realize how many retards only read headlines, and are running out to Walmart right now for fiberglass thinner.

DJWhoDunnit420

Hey ya brain dead fuck, Walmart doesn't sell reagents.

Please mods shut this dangerous thread down. You gotta realize how many retards only read headlines, and are running out to Walmart right now for fiberglass thinner.

Dude what is your issue? This is a.very effective method that produces a very high quality oil, and acetone evaporates clean in test after test...

DJWhoDunnit420

album.php

album.php

album.php

album.php

DJWhoDunnit420

Forgive the particulate, the cheesecloth was mia or something when she decided to trim a jar, right next to my pans of purging oil...

Latest posts

Latest posts