What's new

Iso.. How cold is too cold

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You mean can you add dry ice chunks to some 99+% isopropyl alcohol in a container such as a stainless steel, double wall, vacuum cup, and when the temperature stabilizes, add your cannabis, give it a quick swish, pour off through a coarse sieve like a kitchen strainer, and finally fine filter the result with a couple of coffee filters or lab filter paper?

Sounds too easy.

Last edited:

hyposomniac

Veteran
You mean can you add dry ice chunks to some 99+% isopropyl alcohol in a container such as a stainless steel, double wall, vacuum cup, and when the temperature stabilizes, add your cannabis, give it a quick swish, pour off through a coarse sieve like a kitchen strainer, and finally fine filter the result with a couple of coffee filters or lab filter paper?

Sounds too easy.

Hey Skyhighler, thanks for droppin in.. your name came up a lot in my readings... During which i saw a vague reference (not by you) to something happeneing to oils at the -xx degree mark making them difficult to extract. Follow up search led me to more reading on tangents but no answer.

Now according to this post a dry ice/iso bath is -78 c. http://www.protocol-online.org/biology-forums/posts/5626.html
So i was thinking of lightly vacuum bagging some fresh bud and chilling in said bath, then, once frozen, extracting in an identical bath as you described.
Don't want to waste by being too cold

PDX Dopesmoker

Hey Skyhighler, thanks for droppin in.. your name came up a lot in my readings... During which i saw a vague reference (not by you) to something happeneing to oils at the -xx degree mark making them difficult to extract. Follow up search led me to more reading on tangents but no answer.

Now according to this post a dry ice/iso bath is -78 c. http://www.protocol-online.org/biology-forums/posts/5626.html
So i was thinking of lightly vacuum bagging some fresh bud and chilling in said bath, then, once frozen, extracting in an identical bath as you described.
Don't want to waste by being too cold

As the temperature drops, the alcohol aborbs THC at decreasing speed, most chemical slow down as temperatures drop. I've never seen numbers on it anywhere, but its possible that if you do a standard quick wash at those temperatures you might be disappointed with the results.
If you're worried about waste due to extreme temperatures you could have a 2nd, less cold bath ready and pick up the remainder of whats available in the plant matter using that. A bonus from that you be weighing the returns of the super cold wash against the returns of the secondary wash, it would give you a good idea of how long you want the cryo wash to be next time around.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
For several winters I would store cases of butane refills in the fall for use when the temperatures reached -40. Then the butane was pierced with can openers and poured into 160 ounce mason jars and distilled.
Long story short, brine water in the hot plate was kept at 10 degrees F, the condenser was dry ice and hexane (four pounds per gallon), vacuum was not used.
Butane took only a two minute wash at this temperature, not long enough to dissolve waxes or large terpenes. Very nice product.

I have found THC absorption rates for alcohol go down in lockstep with cooler temperatures. The THC apparently stays readily available down to -40 with butane so I blame the alcohol for any slowdown.

Latest posts

Latest posts