What's new

Using cannabis oil for brain tumor treatment for dog

deadkndys

So long story short (sort of), my 10 yr old German shepherd had a seizure last night, her first ever. I took her too the vet and they took some blood and gave her some potassium bromide. He said considering her age a brain tumor is a possibility. Fearing the worst case scenario. I am thinking about giving her some cannabis oil. Since what I have read and heard about THC cancer killing abilities. I have access to both RSO and concentrated THC or CBN tinctures which are 250mg and 200mg.

So my question is if it is a brain tumor,which is the best route to go?

Thank you.

Attachments

• 20161221_160356.jpg
    20161221_160356.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20161221_191600.jpg
    20161221_191600.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 13
You would dose a dog the same way you would dose a human. Slowly. A very very small piece of RSO the first day. Guage reaction. Rick suggests people get up to a gram per day I think. You might want to check www.phoenixtears.ca to verify. I would take a basic ratio dog weight:to human and base my max dose off of that and work up to once in the morning and once at night seeing how the dog responds.

Disclaimer: I've never done this with a dog. These are just some thoughts. Perhaps someones already written a blog or made a youtube video on it.

I like the Salmon idea. And in the end if it doesnt beat the cancer it will greatly alleviate the symptoms of having it.

What about chemo for dogs is that a thing?

Old Gold

Be very careful with dosing, and as stated above, do it GRADUALLY. My friend's dog likes having dab smoke blown in his face because it stops his allergic reaction and he doesn't itch any more. He doesn't really like smoke from burning the herb....But we gave him an edible dose of distillate in MCT oil (gave him 50-100mg in combo) to see if it would help him stop itching.

Unfortunately he went into weed-coma/sleep-mode for about 48 hrs. Any time he woke up for a split second, we'd try to get him to walk across the room and he would stumble and lay back down, showing very poor motor skills, and was barely able to open his eyes. He didn't really eat, just drank some water a few times. By day 3 (morning), he was walking on his own accord again, and by the end of day 3 was wagging his tail and rolling in the dirt outside.

More unfortunately, it didn't help him with the allergic reactions as much as dab smoke seems to.

Point of my rambling is to be smart and safe with dosing. Start off at about 1-5mg and go from there, since it isn't really her decision to dose on THC.

I took care of a Mastiff a few years back that would always choose the kibble with cannabutter dribbled over it, as opposed to the straight kibble. She may end up liking the edibles, and hopefully it promotes inhibition of anything tumorous.

Best of luck to you and her, sorry to hear about the scare last night :tiphat:

Gorgeous, golden coat she has! German Shepherds are the best

Gray Wolf: I know you often mention getting cancer patients to about one gram per day of activated cannabis oil. Would you say that is for a full-spectrum extract or have you also worked patients up to 1g per day of purified THC?

And there is some concern about exceeding the dose required to "flood" or saturate CB receptors, and that after a certain dosage, cannabinoids may become significantly less effective against cancers/tumors. GW: do you have reason to believe 1g is what it takes to saturate receptors?

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So long story short (sort of), my 10 yr old German shepherd had a seizure last night, her first ever. I took her too the vet and they took some blood and gave her some potassium bromide. He said considering her age a brain tumor is a possibility. Fearing the worst case scenario. I am thinking about giving her some cannabis oil. Since what I have read and heard about THC cancer killing abilities. I have access to both RSO and concentrated THC or CBN tinctures which are 250mg and 200mg.

So my question is if it is a brain tumor,which is the best route to go?

Thank you.

Sorry, she is a pretty pup, and I have a good idea about her temperament, so she will have dug a massive hole in your heart by now.

GS is my favorite breed and we are now on generation six, this time with a second male rescue. The rest were all females that we raised from pups.

Their only fault appears to be that they don't live long enough.

My dog treating experience is limited, but my SPR partner has treated dogs for gum tumors and Alzheimer with cannabis concentrates successfully, so if you will send me an email at graywolf@skunkpharmresearch.com, I'll hook ya'll up.

I also suggest contacting Dr Robert Melamede, https://www.medicaljane.com/directory/professional/dr-robert-melamede/

We sponsored him for a lecture on the effects of sweet Mary's phytocannabinoids on our bodies endocannabinoid systems, and one of the things he said, was that different types of tumors react differently, depending on whether they are fat burners or sugar burners.

High CBD would ostensibly be most effective against seizures.

Lastly, here is a link to the Granny Storm Crow list, and so far it appears that dog treatment and human treatment mimic one another except for dosage. http://www.letfreedomgrow.com/cmu/GSCListJan2014CONDITIONS.pdf

I recommend head x-rays to see for sure if it is a brain tumor.

Good luck with your pup brother!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Be very careful with dosing, and as stated above, do it GRADUALLY. My friend's dog likes having dab smoke blown in his face because it stops his allergic reaction and he doesn't itch any more. He doesn't really like smoke from burning the herb....But we gave him an edible dose of distillate in MCT oil (gave him 50-100mg) to see if it would help him stop itching.

Unfortunately he went into weed-coma/sleep-mode for about 48 hrs. Any time he woke up for a split second, we'd try to get him to walk across the room and he would stumble and lay back down, showing very poor motor skills, and was barely able to open his eyes. He didn't really eat, just drank some water a few times. By day 3 (morning), he was walking on his own accord again, and by the end of day 3 was wagging his tail and rolling in the dirt outside.

More unfortunately, it didn't help him with the allergic reactions as much as dab smoke seems to.

Point of my rambling is to be smart and safe with dosing. Start off at about 5-10mg and go from there, since it isn't really her decision to dose on THC.

I took care of a Mastiff a few years back that would always choose the kibble with cannabutter dribbled over it, as opposed to the straight kibble. She may end up liking the edibles, and hopefully promotes inhibition of anything tumorous.

Best of luck to you and her, sorry to hear about the scare last night :tiphat:

Gorgeous, golden coat she has! German Shepherds are the best

Gray Wolf: I know you often mention getting cancer patients to about one gram per day of activated cannabis oil. Would you say that is for a full-spectrum extract or have you also worked patients up to 1g per day of purified THC?

And there is some concern about exceeding the dose required to "flood" or saturate CB receptors, and that after a certain dosage, cannabinoids may become significantly less effective against cancers/tumors. GW: do you have reason to believe 1g is what it takes to saturate receptors?

We've always used Rick Simpson's gram a day for a minimum to work up to, but have seen patients consuming two or three grams a day, depending on what it was for. Those high dosages were for Alzheimer and Hep C, not cancer.

That is based on using a QWET or a BHO Absolute essential oil, not purified THC or CBD. They typically measure in the high 80's to low 90's in cannabinoids.

Dr Bob (Robert Melamede) told me that his research suggests the full spectrum oil is better than a Clear concentrate for the purposes of making cancer medications and the guru we currently admire and follow.

He also turned us on to using 3X the oil dosage in Citicolene twenty minutes before medicating, to ameliorate the psychoactive effects of the THC.

https://www.medicaljane.com/directory/professional/dr-robert-melamede/

blastfrompast

Veteran
I dosed our german sheperd the last year of her life to help with the hip pain at 9yrs old... Be carefull and things to note that might happen..

1. Dog will piss themselves a bit....
2. If the dog gets dosed to high, they will consider it "bad" and not want to eat it.... They will essentially consider it like poison IMHO...
3. Start low, go high....if a 60lb child can eat 3g to fight his brain tumor....well tollerances can be overcome.....

Pangea

Veteran
The beginner dosage rate for a human with no experience is commonly 5mg - 10mg. I would suggest starting with 5mg or less and working up based on the reactions.

More difficult to suggest which ratio or product to try, the CBD and CBN being the wild cards that could potentially make all the difference, but this is also the case for people as well, with seizure I lean to the 1:2 cannatonic you've got.

Thoughts and vibes to your family and furry girl. More than best friends, they are part of the family with all the love and pain that comes with that.

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran

Excellent question.
And Dr. Melamede is spot on about over-purification of the extract being less effective for cancer.

But proper dosage amounts for cancer may be based on false assumptions
I have some new information that may help.

Am treating myself for prostate cancer and tracking response by PSA assay.
Remission would be nice, but I'll settle for slowing the doubling rate.
And that's exactly what RSO did!

When I first began ingesting RSO, the results were promising.
Following the popular belief that more is better I rapidly built a tolerance. Shooting for a gram per day.

As the dosage passed 1/2 gram, my PSA levels started to climb again.
Had me worried.
When I got to a gram the growth rate was only slightly reduced compared no oil at all.

Then my 10 year old dog presented with multiple tumors.
A large, (baseball sized), hard, tumor hanging down just behind her rib cage.
Then cyst like, medium sized, (golf ball), soft masses in her armpits.
Then 4 mammary tumors that grew so fast they cracked and bled.
All this in a very short time.

She lost weight and patches of fur. Her eyes clouded, and she lost interest in everything.
Our vet wrote her off. But we didn't.

Gave her a 4mm. drop of RSO on a treat, twice a day.
She handled it well and showed immediate improvement.
Her tongue and gums went from pale to pink. The mammary tumors stopped bleeding, and the abdominal mass lost about a centimeter in the first week.

Time to build tolerance.
Went to ~5 mm.
It was too much for a 38 kg. dog.

She stopped eating completely!
Had already lost too much weight, so we dropped her dosage back down and watched her eyes clear, hair grow back, and tumors shrink over the next two months. Abdominal mass is now golf ball sized the softies in her pits are now grape sized and 3 of the 4 mammary tumors are gone!
The 4th has no mass at the base, but the nipple is still enlarged.
All this on continued low dosage.

I used to audit medical classes at Case Western Reserve and remembered what I'd learned about the dosage "Bell curve" for most medication.

For those unfamiliar, the bell curve is used to plot dosage effects on a line graph.
At very low dosage, no effect.
As dosage increases, the effect increases until it reaches a peak.
Then, as you increase the dose, the line drops in a mirror image of the rise.
The full curve resembles a bell.

The point is, after you exceed the ideal dosages the effect decreases all the way down to no effect!
Medicinal dosage follows the same rule as most things in life.
More than enough, is too much!

Based on this observation, I went cold turkey long enough to clear my head, and then started taking about 1/20th. what I had been.

Average daily increase in PSA went from .0075 ng. per ml. down to .0029!

Seems I was taking too much oil.
Almost a gram per day, for over a year.
With much less effect than I'm getting from ~ 50 mg. of RSO now!

My plan is to increase my maintenance dosage by 50%, to about 75 mg., and check the PSA again in 6 months.

I'm hunting for the peak of the bell curve. The ideal mg. per Kg. dosage for stage 4 Prostate cancer.
I think I'm onto something here, I'll keep y'all posted.

More is better, up to a point.
Then, more than enough is too much.

Aloha,
Weeze

tech1234

Guys just try to keep in mind a thing I learned years ago from a long time dog rescuer. We need to make sure that in our will to fight the illness that we are not selfishly keeping our dogs around for us. What I mean is once they age and agings afflictions take over sometimes the best thing we can do is just keep them comfortable until they are having more bad days than good days. sometimes marking a calendar can help keep you honest. It can be so hard to watch this happen and I know I've been guilty of 'trying too hard' myself. I look back at all the treatment I put one of my past dogs through and regret it. I wish I had just allowed myself to see that he was telling me to let him go. I kept him around because I was not ready to be without him. I could have spent his final month with him comfortable and mentally with me. Instead he was scared and mindlessly pacing circles from all the meds. Of course every situation is unique and it is sometimes wise to fight. This is just a reminder to take a step back and communicate with your dog, in my experience he/she will tell you what to do. Only dog people will know what I mean by that.

And remember one of the nicest things you can do to honor an great dog is rescue another one because there are hundreds of thousands in bad situations right now.

Deadkndys- I am so sorry about your girl, shes beautiful. seizures can be a really tough thing to go through with a dog you love because it makes you feel so helpless. just as a piece of hope I have seen a few older dogs have one or two seizures seemingly out of no where and then be fine for years until age finally took them so don't be quick to jump at anything

(this is coming from a long time dog rescue worker who has devoted his life to dogs and currently has 3 and counting rescues)

LostTribe

Premium user
I would say follow this guideline

Dogs weight in LBS/180 LBS(avg human weight) x 1 gram per day for 90 days and see if she pulls thru.....

No idea really but I would assume it depends if dogs in general have the cb1 and cb2 receptors.....otherwise the oil would not activate the receptors.

Old Gold

^ 1g is enough to knock a 180lb human with some tolerance on his/her ass, and again, I emphasize that it is not her decision to eat THC. That math could start her off at 200-300mg. Be wise and kind to your dear friend, and start small - like 5 to 10 mg per dose. Build up dosage with tolerance as you find reasonable, but please don't start her off at 200+mg. The 50-100mg of MCT oil + THC distillate (fed to a sheepdog mix I believe) that I mentioned earlier was about 30% MCT oil.

Last edited:

mobin

i've seen the consequences of a dog on high dose of mj.

my 100lb husky mutant decided to go through the trash where some distillate residue was on paper towels he ate.

he looked scared outta his mind, barely could stand still wobblin all over. he took a lap around the house pissing a gallon on the floor as he went. vet sent me to a neurologist. $700 for what couldn't have been 50mg. after a few hours he was havin a good time again. still eats paper towels and trash without regard.

superglue

i've seen the consequences of a dog on high dose of mj.

my 100lb husky mutant decided to go through the trash where some distillate residue was on paper towels he ate.

he looked scared outta his mind, barely could stand still wobblin all over. he took a lap around the house pissing a gallon on the floor as he went. vet sent me to a neurologist. $700 for what couldn't have been 50mg. after a few hours he was havin a good time again. still eats paper towels and trash without regard.

sounds familiar
just a fyi before you decide to treat your dog for seizures with cannabis
it may be that the dog ingested some type of cannabis already and that is what caused the appearance of a seizure
i'd wait till you have a proper diagnosis

deadkndys

Alright well I started giving her THC oil. Started at .3 and will slowly work way up until it's ideal for her.

Attachments

• 20170112_170153-1000x1000.jpg
    20170112_170153-1000x1000.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 11

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Can I ask where you found this oil? Or get a look at the back and sides of the package.
Looks a little sketchy is all.
Hmm, lemme see if I can google it up.
Nope.
I found Seattle's private reserve but can not find this product

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Mahalo!
They look legitimate, if expensive.

A gram of RSO runs about $50 on the street.
These tinctures contain 1/4 gram of RSO.
That's $160 per gram for the oil tinctures.
Too rich for my blood. But it does look like a the genuine article.

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
just a thought... but wouldnt give the dog thc unless the level of cbd completely overtakes the level of thc. too high a ratio favoring thc seems kinda cruel because not everyone reacts well to the drug. it can be quite intense, scary, and uncomfortable.