What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rosin vs open blast for homegrown headstash

I've been making great bho at home using a pressurized column and soaking in a dry ice bath. I'm considering getting a dewaxing column so I don't have to soak in a cooler anymore. But I'm also curious about getting a rosin press instead. I see the benefits of a small rosin press as being safer and being able to do small quantities each time. I blast outside and take proper safety precautions.

The hold back for me is finding a good entry level ($500 or less) rosin press that works well turn key. I'm quite mechanically inclined but I just don't feel like dicking around / experimenting with making a press. I'm kinda lazy that way.

So, what entry level presses are worth making the switch?

Lyfespan

I've been making great bho at home using a pressurized column and soaking in a dry ice bath. I'm considering getting a dewaxing column so I don't have to soak in a cooler anymore. But I'm also curious about getting a rosin press instead. I see the benefits of a small rosin press as being safer and being able to do small quantities each time. I blast outside and take proper safety precautions.

The hold back for me is finding a good entry level ($500 or less) rosin press that works well turn key. I'm quite mechanically inclined but I just don't feel like dicking around / experimenting with making a press. I'm kinda lazy that way.

So, what entry level presses are worth making the switch?

make your own press, never look back, enjoy those new terps you never tasted blasting them away

EsterEssence

Veteran
Blow yourself up with bho, or maybe burn your finger with the hot plates making rosin. Put some solvent with cannabis you need to purge, or squeeze some cannabis and use immediately. Seems like a no brainier to me...

Lyfespan

Blow yourself up with bho, or maybe burn your finger with the hot plates making rosin. Put some solvent with cannabis you need to purge, or squeeze some cannabis and use immediately. Seems like a no brainier to me...

right?, i can say enough about instant dabs

iffey

i can out produce any one of those presses with my hair straightener on flower all day
The only thing a HS can do better is get up to temperature faster than plates/press... I've done them both ways, HS doesn't even come close..

Lyfespan

The only thing a HS can do better is get up to temperature faster than plates/press... I've done them both ways, HS doesn't even come close..

had way too many people already eat these words, and i said flowers BTW if you want to talk about headies well thats different and totally different results.

sorry a press will never give you and incremental press so you can never compete, the dynamics just arent there

iffey

make your own press, never look back, enjoy those new terps you never tasted blasting them away
Here you go. http://www.newvape.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=9075

HarborFreight for the 6 ton press, took me, alone, 45 minutes to assemble. The 6ton jack had leaked its load into the shipping box, so it had to be refilled and bled, $450 for the 2.25" plates, e-nails, controller and collar for the press, a hair over $500. It out produces the HS method, I still use one HS to heat the little rosin patties. Now I have an extra vise and 2 600lb clamps on the shelf. I eat the rosin and find that it must be decarbedolixioioided (I don't know how to spell it) before eating it. 300F +|- for 10 minutes in a preheated oven.. for dabs, I'd guess vaping it in the enail decarbs it?.

Lyfespan

Here you go. http://www.newvape.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=9075

HarborFreight for the 6 ton press, took me, alone, 45 minutes to assemble. The 6ton jack had leaked its load into the shipping box, so it had to be refilled and bled, $450 for the 2.25" plates, e-nails, controller and collar for the press, a hair over $500. It out produces the HS method, I still use one HS to heat the little rosin patties. Now I have an extra vise and 2 600lb clamps on the shelf. I eat the rosin and find that it must be decarbedolixioioided (I don't know how to spell it) before eating it. 300F +|- for 10 minutes in a preheated oven.. for dabs, I'd guess vaping it in the enail decarbs it?.

i will beat you like armstrong beat the rail machine dude, you cant even begin to load and unload your press as fast as i can mine, sorry. its a real nice setup but slow

another issue i have with these hydraulic and pneumatic units is OILs around my meds.

i will beat you like armstrong beat the rail machine dude, you cant even begin to load and unload your press as fast as i can mine, sorry. its a real nice setup but slow

another issue i have with these hydraulic and pneumatic units is OILs around my meds.

Are you joking or serious?

The hair straightener is a fine option for sure but the only advantage it has besides price is that it heats up quick. It also does a mediocre job of maintaining stable temps, so if you plan on pressing multiple pucks you either will have to find a better way to regulate temp with a dimmer switch type setup or take a hit on quality, or waste time waiting for it to cool down.

All the above presumes your hair straighteners work the same way the dozen or so models I've tried do. If they don't, and they maintain temp for an hour or more good stuff.

As to the slowness of a hydraulic press, it takes maybe 2 seconds longer to lower the ram than it did to clamp a clamp and they both release instantly so no worry there.

Oil around meds is a non issue. The jack is far enough away from the plates and unless you pull the plug to bleed the jack or are completely oblivious to what is going on with your press you won't leak oil into your oil. Could it happen? Sure, but if your careful it won't.

You can't press the same sized molded flower with a straightener and clamp either. You just won't have enough pressure spread across the plates to get a proper yield with clamps.

Straightener is fine, but it isn't an upgrade from hydraulics it's a step down.

Sorry if you were just joking, just don't want other people to waste their time with straighteners if they have the ability and desire to buy a press.

LostTribe

Premium user
Which hair straightener? My wife's gets really hot and I can't control the temp.

look for the diy link its a long thread in the concentrates forum....

for a few nugs this isn't too bad an idea but it is completely worthless for doing more that a few nugs like maybe a gram or so. Even the larger presses are going to cost more and only do smaller quantities compared to BHO.

Open blasting is not recommended however. U can blow CHIT uP! Like U!

iffey

I do agree, it is slower, initially but the HS can not come close to getting, out of one gram, one squeeze, the returns even that small 6ton press can get. Yeah, yeah you can get more presses out per hour, for me, its not a race.
oils around the meds.? MarineCorps in the 60s practically ate those oils.. not that thay are good for you and I rather not inhale/ingest them. the press is clean enough.

Lyfespan

Are you joking or serious?

The hair straightener is a fine option for sure but the only advantage it has besides price is that it heats up quick. It also does a mediocre job of maintaining stable temps, so if you plan on pressing multiple pucks you either will have to find a better way to regulate temp with a dimmer switch type setup or take a hit on quality, or waste time waiting for it to cool down.

All the above presumes your hair straighteners work the same way the dozen or so models I've tried do. If they don't, and they maintain temp for an hour or more good stuff.

As to the slowness of a hydraulic press, it takes maybe 2 seconds longer to lower the ram than it did to clamp a clamp and they both release instantly so no worry there.

Oil around meds is a non issue. The jack is far enough away from the plates and unless you pull the plug to bleed the jack or are completely oblivious to what is going on with your press you won't leak oil into your oil. Could it happen? Sure, but if your careful it won't.

You can't press the same sized molded flower with a straightener and clamp either. You just won't have enough pressure spread across the plates to get a proper yield with clamps.

Straightener is fine, but it isn't an upgrade from hydraulics it's a step down.

Sorry if you were just joking, just don't want other people to waste their time with straighteners if they have the ability and desire to buy a press.

dude, unless i was melting headies all day, i wouldnt give 200 bux for any of those presses on the market, sorry to make you unhappy, but thats it. i have pressed pounds upon pounds of flowers with the HMK set up modified. im not supplying the world and the people i do are quite happy. oh and theres plenty of pressure on these clamps, pucks come out thin and dry :tiphat::tiphat: 15 seconds each press for 1.5g each press, you do the math.:thank you:

i dont need to be sold on these presses:tiphat:

Lyfespan

I do agree, it is slower, initially but the HS can not come close to getting, out of one gram, one squeeze, the returns even that small 6ton press can get. Yeah, yeah you can get more presses out per hour, for me, its not a race.
oils around the meds.? MarineCorps in the 60s practically ate those oils.. not that thay are good for you and I rather not inhale/ingest them. the press is clean enough.

the buds dictate the yields. and again sorry to burst bubbles but i can load up to 14g of flowers into my HS and get 3-6 grams out:tiphat:

dude, unless i was melting headies all day, i wouldnt give 200 bux for any of those presses on the market, sorry to make you unhappy, but thats it. i have pressed pounds upon pounds of flowers with the HMK set up modified. im not supplying the world and the people i do are quite happy. oh and theres plenty of pressure on these clamps, pucks come out thin and dry :tiphat::tiphat: 15 seconds each press for 1.5g each press, you do the math.:thank you:

i dont need to be sold on these presses:tiphat:

Not unhappy at all. If you're happy that's cool with me. Thanks for the reply and keep on squishing!