What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dealing with Dispensaries

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok, so this thread is about discussing how small quality out door growers deal with dispensaries. If your out door looks like good indoor, than this is the thread for you. I'm mean out door that looks like this.

(I sell all the weed pictured above to dispensaries for no less than 1800 a pound, as high as 2400, in October and November. If they don't pay my price, they do not get my product.)

We will discuss which ones are good, which ones are bad, and how to prevent getting ripped off by them. We all know that many dispensaries are basically glorified scam artists. Some of them really disgust me. In fact trying to deal with dispensaries was a major contributor to me starting my own collective and delivery service.

Let's start with how to talk to dispensary buyers. First thing to remember is the less said the better. Don't even tell them where it was grown. Just state the strain name and your price. Remember they need you more than you need them. Don't let them negotiate. They get a bonus for making you go low. Dispensary buyers don't care how good your pot is. They will always try to devalue your product. They will try and give you as little as 900-1600 a pound Then they will turn around and sell it for 45-60 an eighth, and 320-440 an ounce.

The first trick they use to devalue your product is by asking where and how it was grown. The proper response, is "where do you think it was grown?" If you tell them it was grown out doors, then they automatically max your price at 1600 in their head, but will offer you as little as 900. They don't care if it looks, tastes, and smells amazing, tests over 25% thc and is clean. To them just the fact that it was grown out doors gives them an excuse to down grade your weed for no reason. They are hoping you don't understand that quality is the goal, and it doesn't matter how you get quality, as long as you get it. It's the same logic as 6+4=10, and so does 3+7.

Another devaluation tactic I hear often is, "I haven't even heard of that strain." The proper response is to say, "it's rare then, and rarity makes it more valuable not less." Let's be honest. Most dispensary buyers don't know shit. What they haven't heard of could fill up a football stadium.

The next thing they will do is start breaking apart your buds, and man handling your weed like it ain't shit, and disrespecting you. Stay calm and tell them to stop, unless they wanna buy it for your stated price.

Yet another thing they will do is try and tell you it's the wrong time of year. That's not true either there is no wrong time of year. It stands out even more in comparison to the mass amounts of crap weed hitting the market. Quality sells well all year, and they will mark up your product at least 200 percent.

I have found in 2016 some of the worst dispensaries to be in the north east bay. They have the worst quality weed for the highest prices and offer the same price for garbage as they do for dank.

Some of the best are in San Francisco proper, and Berkeley. They pay for quality weed, and charge the same as the dispensaries in the north east bay despite having triple the overhead.

I would like to hear about your experiences, and tactics as well. Please feel free to post pictures too.

Last edited:

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Nice looking buds!
I grow outdoors too, but in a non-med state...
We work our butts off outdoors, but can grow 100% organically, if we wish..
some of my girls succumb to the outdoors, but the ones that do well are my keepers.
And anyone who tells me that outdoor weed can't be as good as indoor grown, is just talking out of their ass.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Very good thread HZ...and what an interesting topic. K+

btw..your outdoor looks truly scrumptious!

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
next. There is two things you can do to prevent two more devaluation tactics of buyers. First off, is do the best to make sure there are no seeds in your pound. Tell your trimmers to watch out for the random seed that will pop up occasionally even with no male or hermie. If a buyer even sees one seed in a pound, it's an automatic excuse to drop in value several hundred dollars. Even if it's one seed in ten pounds. If they do find a seed, fuck with them. Tell them the price increased ten dollars unless they want to give the seed back. Then tell them to weight the seed, and you'll lower the price the weight of the seed. It won't register on the scale. Make them look stupid.

The next thing they will do is tell you the buds are not big enough, or the buds are to big. Which ever one suits their goal of devaluation. They will say we are gonna lose two ounce chopping the bud apart so we will devalue it 300 bucks. If you chop the buds apart they will say nobody wants those small nugs. I go with two pounds. One with small dank nugs, and one with larger dank nugs, and let them pick. I also tell them they need a variety of nug size for different bags, and most people buy an eighth, so small nugs are ok anyways.

The idea is to use your logic to debunk every bullshit excuse they give you to devalue your weed. The only legitimate reasons to devalue weed is, poor smell, taste, or frost coverage. Mold, pests, bud rot, or harvested way to early.

Last edited:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The only legitimate reasons to devalue weed it, poor smell, taste, or frost coverage. Mold, pests, bud rot, or harvested way to early.

And you DO see that every day at dispensaries...GYO....GYO. Funny thing is ASK them what nutrients or pesticides dispensaries use....you'll see them stumbling for an adequate answer.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
You hear quite often about what to look for when buying 'erb, but rarely how to 'Haggle' when trying to sell it..

HZ, how about making a point-by-point tutorial for any grower that might want to move his/her crop thru one of these dispensary establishments, or anywhere for that matter?

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You hear quite often about what to look for when buying 'erb, but rarely how to 'Haggle' when trying to sell it..

HZ, how about making a point-by-point tutorial for any grower that might want to move his/her crop thru one of these dispensary establishments, or anywhere for that matter?

Ok, but I'm still working it out myself. I would like to hear from other experienced growers too. If we put our heads together we can come up with a great process.

My eventual goal is to unionize growers in the Bay Area.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One thing I like to do is think of. A minimum price and a maximum price that is reasonable for my product. Then I pick the middle number. For sample if 1600 is minimal, and 2000 is max then I chose 1800. That is my set price. It is fair. I don't haggle. If you let them think you will haggle, then they will take you as low as they think they can, and you will lose. The best thing thing I do is state your price and walk away. Even if you don't make a deal then, if you do that enough times to the individual buyer th n they will take it for your price. You just let them know that you already have another buyer at that price, but thy are a farther drive. It's a straw man, but is works if your price is reasonable.

Aota1

Come to Oregon!!! I moved here from Humboldt last year and now manage and buy for a Dispensary. After years of strictly growing, I consider myself extremely fair with the growers I deal with. The bay is another animal. I wish you all fair-dealings!!

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can I get an Oregon medical card with out being a resident, or could I just sell there recreationally? How does it work there?

Last edited:

Aota1

Unfortunately you'd need to get a rec producer license to sell to shops. We've been able to buy from simply ommp cardholders for the past year but it's now switching to licensed only

Aota1

You can get a card from out of state but those days of buying from cardholders are all but over sadly

PDX Dopesmoker

Nice looking buds!
I grow outdoors too, but in a non-med state...
We work our butts off outdoors, but can grow 100% organically, if we wish..
some of my girls succumb to the outdoors, but the ones that do well are my keepers.
And anyone who tells me that outdoor weed can't be as good as indoor grown, is just talking out of their ass.

Its great to see someone else saying what I'm thinking. Not too many indoor growers get 1.3 kilowatts per square meter on their plants, but thats what the sun delivers. I couldn't be happier with my outdoor this year, its potent as hell & tastes great.

One of the top farms in Oregon sells their flower for 25/p last I heard (June), they don't haggle. They know their material is top quality and pretty much everyone who smokes it agrees, so some dispensaries are willing to pay that much. They've built out their farm's reputation nearly to the point that whatever strain they're selling doesn't even matter all that much anymore, because people just know that if the bud came from them its gonna be worth paying the big number. I know another guy who grows even better stuff if you can believe it (as far as I know this guy grows the best bud in the universe), but he is flexible on price & he generally gets 20-24. Plus he has to waste time on all the back and forth negotiating BS.

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
starting my own collective and delivery service

something i was wondering what do customers/dispensarys prefer, strain with a proper name or abc x xyz?

was it you who wrote a mini guide last year/before in the whole sale thread?some great advice about never throwing out a number first.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
something i was wondering what do customers/dispensarys prefer, strain with a proper name or abc x xyz?

was it you who wrote a mini guide last year/before in the whole sale thread?some great advice about never throwing out a number first.

The shitty ones all want what is popular at the moment. They don't care if it is over fed garbage ghetto warehouse hydro. They just want the fat calyx strains like sfv og, cookies, etc. that's pretty much their one qualifier. Plus a half way decent smell. They won't have much variety, or specialty items. Like, they won't have a true 12-20 week pure sativa on their menu. They are scared of the bud shape.

Good dispensaries care about quality more than name. The good dispensaries understand that different strains with different lineage have different bud formations and calyx sizes. They look at the over all quality, their current stock, and the demand for similar product to yours. They try to have a variety of quality on their shelves.

wasn't me that wrote the mini guide.

One of the things I've heard about dealing with dispensaries in Santa Cruz is they want you to front it for 2-6 weeks

And a few of them are vertical... Grow their own and make their own bho

Aota1

There's many styles of Dispensary up here now. We do c.o.d always but when I started growing in Humboldt early 00's I never sold to my club because they wanted 5 at a time fronted for $600 less per lb. Than was my going rate.

MrBungle

(Just an outsider looking in) So these dispensary buyers are they just going by visual, and smell factors, along with what you tell them, or do they sample the product by smoking it?

Would it be alright to offer them a joint or is that being too forward?

Aota1

If I'm dealing with a new grower I will get a sample normally then get back to them. If it's a returning vendor, we usually skip that part.