What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help with BHO Closed Loop Extractor

JamesEmooreII

I Have a 1lb Closed Loop Extractor, with a dewaxing column, a 1.5" ball valve after the column to allow the butane to sit in the trim for 10-15min before releasing the butane thru several filters before ending in the bottom of the shatter platter. The filter process I use starts at 100mesh, followed by a 120mesh, followed by a 220mesh, and finishing with 2micron Quantitative Cellulose Filter.

Here is the process that I'm using.

*This was a run on my own trim that has been curing for the last 6 weeks.

I packed my trim into the column and then close & seal the entire assembly.

Once everything is closed and sealed I vacuum the the assembly to a 30Hg.

At this point, I pack crushed dry ice and ethanol in the the dewaxing jacket around the column.

I allowed the the column to winterize for 30min prior to running my butane.

The butane I use is pure r600 butane. I close the ball valve after the column and then I proceed to run my butane.

After the butane has been resting in the trim for 10-15min, I open the ball valve and the butane then goes thru several filter plates and then flows to the bottom of my shatter platter.

Once the butane has finished flowing thru the column and thru the filters, I then place the whole assembly on a NuWave Induction cooktop and set the temperature to 100 degrees, and I allow the butane to begin to boil.

Once the butane is in a full boil, I attach my return tank (Which has been also vacuumed to 30Hg and has been set in dry ice to allow the butane gas to quickly convert back into a gas once it has been returned.

The whole process takes about 2-2.5hrs to get to the point where the run is complete and all the butane has been returned.

I would expect to see some golden yellow oil at this point, right? However, what I was left with was jet black oil. Its currently purging right now at 110degrees and 27.5Hg.

Why would my run be black, and how can I fix that so that it doesn't happen again.

I've been following several different youtube videos, and I follow the steps exactly, but I'm still left with a product that I'm kinda scared to even try.

If there is anyone who can help me fix what I'm doing wrong, that would be great and I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks

Think Green

Did you grind the product before the run? I've heard too fine material can allow chlorophyll to leach into your oil.

I use 90-100% propane at room temp with standard column. Single pass top flood. Water bath at 70f max. Run takes less than 1 hr. I purge with no heat and -20hg

Color is always white to yellow depending on the raw material.

As think green said, don't grind your material

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I use 90-100% propane at room temp with standard column. Single pass top flood. Water bath at 70f max. Run takes less than 1 hr. I purge with no heat and -20hg

Color is always white to yellow depending on the raw material.

As think green said, don't grind your material

Isn't the bath supposed to be less than 32F, unless you mean the source.

JamesEmooreII

Think Green, no I didn't grind up the trim. Only finger broke apart the trim and baby nugs until it was easily loose but not pulverized.

Isn't the bath supposed to be less than 32F, unless you mean the source.

I'm referring to the water bath the collection pot is in. I don't use a dewaxing column when running dried material. OP didn't say he was doing live resin runs.

If doing live resin I'll get the propane and dewaxing column to -40, but still single pass top flood rather than soak

Think Green

Ok so I am ignorant to this fact. Does anyone know the definitive answer to what causes the dark coloration of clearly high grade trim or bud? I'm sure high temps but what if all the correct parameters were followed?

Ok so I am ignorant to this fact. Does anyone know the definitive answer to what causes the dark coloration of clearly high grade trim or bud? I'm sure high temps but what if all the correct parameters were followed?

If not heat, it is due to extraction of ballast pigments, sugars, chlorophyll, etc
Contact time with the solvent, temp of solvent and material, and other factors determine how many unwanted compounds are extracted

denjo

to me, the combination of 6 weeks old trimm, depending on how you stored it, plus the high temps are the reason why your oil is dark. I also think that you purge way too hot

to me, everything over 33° C will cause color change anyways

deadkndys

How cold is the ethanol? If I'm not mistaken, unless the solvent is around -4°F (or maybe it was less than 32°F). The solvent will pull chlorophyll too. Also age has a lot to do with color.

How cold is the ethanol? If I'm not mistaken, unless the solvent is around -4°F (or maybe it was less than 32°F). The solvent will pull chlorophyll too. Also age has a lot to do with color.

I don't think ethanol is being used as a solvent here. A DI/EtOH cold bath can reach -78C

I'm still running buds that I harvested August 2, stored at room temp in a plastic bin. No problem getting yellow wax

Latest posts

Latest posts