What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do you need to winterize bho from a closed column?

I've successfully done the thermos soak method of making bho a few times. Thinking about trying the closed pressurized column method. Found some good tutorials.

In the videos/instructions I've seen, everyone is blasting onto parchment in a Pyrex dish, then putting the parchment under vacuum to purge. Seems like they're skipping winterization... Is winterization not required if you cool everything with dry ice and cool the tube over dry ice while its soaking?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You extract less wax if you extract frozen material using about -40C LPG. Usually low enough that most folks don't bother winterizing.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've yet to dab winterized oil that I preferred over over a simple single solvent (Pro' ;-)) or 'tane extraction of good nugg or sugar trim.

LPG, GW? Here's some pics of my first acquisition of single solvent PHO. When I first glanced at the Chalice vendor's display I thought it was just some joker crap wax, so glad I made a passing comment and looked closer. Slushy crystals, bit on the jelly side, sweet by all standards. I don't know at what temp it was extracted, sorry.

Btw, the taste is straight up your nose Pine-Sol, not much of anything else except for far, far afield almost completely buried, gentle, pleasant undertones. That's comparing it to the smooth, up front, full wash of undertones I'm getting from the live resin single solvent BHO I've been bearing down on hard for the last few days.

Attachments

• Photo on 8-11-16 at 10.18 AM.jpg
    Photo on 8-11-16 at 10.18 AM.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 15
  • Photo on 8-11-16 at 10.20 AM.jpg
    Photo on 8-11-16 at 10.20 AM.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Photo on 8-11-16 at 10.21 AM.jpg
    Photo on 8-11-16 at 10.21 AM.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Photo on 8-11-16 at 10.27 AM.jpg
    Photo on 8-11-16 at 10.27 AM.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Photo on 8-11-16 at 10.28 AM.jpg
    Photo on 8-11-16 at 10.28 AM.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Photo on 8-11-16 at 10.29 AM.jpg
    Photo on 8-11-16 at 10.29 AM.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 17
  • P1020400.jpg
    P1020400.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Old Gold

Winterization does not refer to the use of a second solvent OR alcohol. I do believe the term only specifies that the process includes precipitation and filtration of heavier melting/boiling components from solution at select temperatures.
SkyHighLer: what about a winterized oil that saw only the finest 'tane?

Key words: "Frozen material".

The plan is to fresh freeze nugs
Pack the column
Freeze the column and butane for 24 hrs
Draw vacuum on the bottom of the column
Inject butane thru the top
Allow material to soak half an hour or so in a dry ice bath
Slowly drain the column into a Pyrex dish covered with parchment
Purge butane
Put under vacuum for 24 hours

Old Gold

24 hours is overkill. What are you using to freeze butane? Hopefully not your standard freezer... (use dry ice)
I used to freeze my columns before runs in a chest freezer, but made sure to vacuum them down so no moisture is picked up.
Stay ventilated, stay medicated!

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Winterization does not refer to the use of a second solvent OR alcohol. I do believe the term only specifies that the process includes precipitation and filtration of heavier melting/boiling components from solution at select temperatures.
SkyHighLer: what about a winterized oil that saw only the finest 'tane?

When I inquired of the vendors at Chalice how their oil was extracted no one misunderstood where I was coming from asking about single solvent BHO versus winterized. Winterized wasn't the epitimy of top shelf this year... winterization is what you do with a crap trim run to make it marketable, and everyone knows it. The best is the best, and when you have to purge alcohol the product suffers. I believe I dabbed not a dab of CO2 oil at the festival, and saw no hard on the eyes, CO2 wussy ass diarrhea goop, amen! ;-)

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The plan is to fresh freeze nugs
Pack the column
Freeze the column and butane for 24 hrs
Draw vacuum on the bottom of the column
Inject butane thru the top
Allow material to soak half an hour or so in a dry ice bath
Slowly drain the column into a Pyrex dish covered with parchment
Purge butane
Put under vacuum for 24 hours

No one publicly states they shoot straight to parchment, just the thought of the silicone coating somehow, leaching, scraping, whatever... is unacceptable.

Old Gold

When I inquired of the vendors at Chalice how their oil was extracted no one misunderstood where I was coming from asking about single solvent BHO versus winterized. Winterized wasn't the epitimy of top shelf this year... winterization is what you do with a crap trim run to make it marketable, and everyone knows it. The best is the best, and when you have to purge alcohol the product suffers. I believe I dabbed not a dab of CO2 oil at the festival, and saw no hard on the eyes, CO2 wussy ass diarrhea goop, amen! ;-)

That makes no sense to me. I've never been to Chalice, and it's vendors are not my golden standard for the English language or for the sciences (though I love and respect what many of them have done and are doing for our community).
Winterization is what I do to anything I plan on smoking. It does not remove my terpenes. Nor can it only happen to trim. And I do it with Ole N-Tane herself.

I can't say I've seen CO2 extract that has impressed me.
I've yet to dab a lipid or plant fat that impressed me either. Animal fats though? Can't say, who knows . . .

No one publicly states they shoot straight to parchment, just the thought of the silicone coating somehow, leaching, scraping, whatever... is unacceptable.

That's what I thought and then I saw a couple videos where they were shooting on parchment. What do you suggest shooting on?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That makes no sense to me. I've never been to Chalice, and it's vendors are not my golden standard for the English language or for the sciences (though I love and respect what many of them have done and are doing for our community).
Winterization is what I do to anything I plan on smoking. It does not remove my terpenes. Nor can it only happen to trim. And I do it with Ole N-Tane herself.

I can't say I've seen CO2 extract that has impressed me.
I've yet to dab a lipid or plant fat that impressed me either. Animal fats though? Can't say, who knows . . .

Chalice is like going to Maharishi Land compared to the sleazy huckster filled events Hight Times puts on. And while I'm on the subject, the word I heard on the down low was HT's shenanigans forced the move to windy/dusty Victorville at the last moment this year.

To be clear, and you can test this by spending some time with the Chalice California 2016 videos at YouTube; BHO rules, rosin is a rocking, and everything else is falling by the wayside. That PHO I scored seems to have a future, probably so does live resin BHO, but due to the moisture, and such a plethora of terpenes they've got presentation problems with it waxing up.

That's what I thought and then I saw a couple videos where they were shooting on parchment. What do you suggest shooting on?

There are many heavy errors shown in some of the YouTube BHO videos, shooting directly to parchment, using unsafe electrical devices like griddles during the initial boil off, etc.

The standard is to shoot to a common kitchen Pyrex dish, this dish is set in a second dish containing warm water to add energy to the boiling off process. After the initial boil off, the Pyrex dish is brought indoors for scraping to parchment. Single edge razor blades, paint scrappers, there are entire threads just on what to use to scrape...

"Butane honey oil for dummies" - sticky here at ICMAG Forums' Concentrate section... the first post, please read,

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=516218&postcount=1

Patience bro, sticky stuff requires patience if you really want to get get down into it. :biggrin:

Here's a pic I just took of the last of my White Lotus single solvent BHO, so solid I heat my dabber and slice it. It will never wax up, I made this for last year's Chalice, and brought it again this year. Not all my simple BHO extractions come out so solid... it's starting material sensitive and I'm sourcing from SoCal MMJ dispensaries and don't usually shop top tier. None of my own BHO waxes up, and since that's not a common claim among commercial extractors, I figure they're dropping the ball somewhere in process, and possibly in other areas, so I intend on making my own personal stash as necessary.

Attachments

• Photo on 8-12-16 at 1.10 PM.jpg
    Photo on 8-12-16 at 1.10 PM.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts