What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Which method to use to make oil for oral consumption?

sadpanda

My friend who has cancer had really good results with CBD oil during chemotherapy and has since obtained seeds of high CBD strains and set up a new 8 plant setup, but we're confused about which type of oil to make, especially as there's so much (too much almost!) information available now but a lot is also old info and its now 2016. We need to make oil for oral consumption not smoking. Healthiness/safetiness of the end product is also of concern so decent quality is needed - we dont want toxic solvents in the final oil. We're not chemists either, but willing to learn what's needed. They'll have to do this for the rest of their life, however long that will be, so they are prepared to invest in a machine (tamisium etc?) if it's not too expensive and worth it, or are there much simpler easier ways to produce good oil? all options are on the table. And in the end when she's made this oil should she add it to another oil of some type to help preserve it, or..?
All suggestions very much appreciated, thankyou for your help

sadpanda

i think i will be using ethanol :) i understand it isnt quite as effective as naptha but there's no health concerns, apart from lighting a joint lol. looks like i'll have to distill it myself though because everclear etc is expensive :(

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My friend who has cancer had really good results with CBD oil during chemotherapy and has since obtained seeds of high CBD strains and set up a new 8 plant setup, but we're confused about which type of oil to make, especially as there's so much (too much almost!) information available now but a lot is also old info and its now 2016. We need to make oil for oral consumption not smoking. Healthiness/safetiness of the end product is also of concern so decent quality is needed - we dont want toxic solvents in the final oil. We're not chemists either, but willing to learn what's needed. They'll have to do this for the rest of their life, however long that will be, so they are prepared to invest in a machine (tamisium etc?) if it's not too expensive and worth it, or are there much simpler easier ways to produce good oil? all options are on the table. And in the end when she's made this oil should she add it to another oil of some type to help preserve it, or..?
All suggestions very much appreciated, thankyou for your help

Here is what we make, using either BHO or QWET.

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/holy-anointing-oil-and-holy-shit/

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've found a lot of people who cannot handle cinnamon.

The holy shit, made with just olive oil is great.

sadpanda

100% alcohol/ethanol seems expensive though, but ive seen videos using stills to reclaim a lot of it. Also there's a lot of tutorials about making your own moonshine/Everclear/190 proof, so perhaps that might be the way to go instead?!?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you or your friend is up to recycling the alcohol... well, here's a simple way to make BHO,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTVRYk0Zdg4

Use one ounce of coarsely ground herb to a 300ml can of butane. Two coffee papers per stack, not five, lol. You won't need to purge it beyond what is shown in the video for oral consumption.

To do a second soak: after the first pour off, remove the sealing ring and then push the filter papers down into the jar, place the 'squirter lid' back on and squirt more butane, seal two more coffee filter papers on top and vigorously swish, if you use a wide mouth quart mason jar you can swish with enough motion to wash the first filter papers and barely splash anything onto the second set. I divide a single can for two washes of an oz, takes a little experience, be prepared with a second can until you get the hang of it.

Walgreens drug store sells excellent Ronson butane for $6 a can.

Basic BHO safety precautions,

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=31950

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
100% alcohol/ethanol seems expensive though, but ive seen videos using stills to reclaim a lot of it. Also there's a lot of tutorials about making your own moonshine/Everclear/190 proof, so perhaps that might be the way to go instead?!?
You can drastically reduce the amount of alcohol you need, with a few dollars in dry-ice.

Food-grade bucket with lid.
Dump cannabis in bucket.
Break up dry ice into ping pong ball'ish sized chunks and add to bucket.
Let it sit for 10 minutes. Shake for a few minutes, grinding dry-ice chunks against the cannabis.
Let it sit again, shake again.
Repeat a few more times...

Let it sit for a while to let the dust settle and open it up. You should only need about 1/3rd the ethanol now. :) (edit: And only a 30 second wash as well, no need for long soaks with this method at all. Quick wash and press it all out)

Olive oil quality is crappy in the usa, make sure you get a high quality kind. The next easiest is to make Ghee from butter yourself.

Decarbed oil, mixed warm with ghee, spread on toast? Oh yeah! :D

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran

I like to do an Ice water extraction first. dissolve that with 20 parts warm ethanol then freeze 2-3 days to "winterize" and filter the waxes in the freezer over night.

evaporate the ethanol and decarb visually in a hot oil bath per Gray Wolf and SkunkPharm.
https://skunkpharmresearch.com/decarboxylation/

to make the initial tolerance build up easier try dissolving a gram of oil in 40 grams of warm coconut or olive oil and make up capsules.

you can get a gram of oil in each capsule and if we assume 60% Thc and 600 mg / 40 caps will give you 15mg caps.
if your oil was 85% Thc you'd had 20 mg caps.

start with one cap or even a half the very first time instead of hunks of pure oil that are difficult to measure and change based on temperature.
add more as the patient can tolerate it.

this will help your patient avoid overdosing and a bad experience that might prevent them from continuing.

good luck

sadpanda

can somebody please explain what is "winterizing" in this context? ive seen it referred to so often, but had no luck with google

I wood

can somebody please explain what is "winterizing" in this context? ive seen it referred to so often, but had no luck with google

Winterizing is removing the wax/oils with filtering while at temperatures where the wax/oils are solid.
Not really a needed step if oral consumption is the goal.

There is a lot of good info in this thread, many ways to acomplish the same thing.
I have had good results using mason jars, ethanol, and a coffee maker.
A glass and stainless steel french press makes the process easier as well.
Soak, strain, heat until solvent is gone then until bubbles slow to almost stopping, it doesn't have to be complicated on the small scale.

It may apear difficult at first but is quite easy with a little practice.
Twenty minutes to process a couple of ounces, then a couple of hours of watching the solutuon reduce and decarboxylate.
You can do it.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
I've had a Magical Butter Machine for a few years..

I've had a Magical Butter Machine for a few years..

I have a dear friend in Hawaii, I bought her a Magical Butter Machine and some 100% alcohol.

https://magicalbutter.com/recipe/magicalbutter-tincture

http://organicalcohol.com/organic-alcohol-product-catalog

It makes making CannaBudder, CannaCocoNut Oil and tinctures easy. Less messy and very consistent.

I paid $300 for mine and now the new one is $175, great value.

Peace :party:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Cannabis essential oil concrete 'winterized' to essential oil absolute, one of the most popular sticky threads in the ICMAG Concentrate section...

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=168388

First post in the thread where the famous jump117 mentions dropping the temp and then filtering to precipitate out the waxes and lipids,

"Second half goes to freeze -20°C for four hours before filtration, distillation and collecting. With or without "winterization..."
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=3524899&postcount=22

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
No it does not reclaim the Alcohol...

No it does not reclaim the Alcohol...

does that Magical Butter machine reclaim the alcohol?

No it doesn't reclaim alcohol.

I mostly make CocoCanna Oil for edibles. (No alcohol)

I've made tinctures using Everclear and the Magic Machine they came out fine. A fifth was less than $20, I put in about two ounces of Bud so the cost of the alcohol was insignificant.

If you want RSO you can use a rice cooker. I'll take a look at Grey Wolfs reclaim still.

Peace :party:

For oral consumption I don't process into an oil. Just make this:

Bubble Juice-
1. Decarboxilation: Place material in pan (leaves/flowers/stems), cover with foil, bake at 220F for 15 min, remove from oven, then bake at 250F for 50 min. approximately. (this is for fresh material, if it is well dried then just do 250F for 50). Let cool.

2. Put into blender, add water and ice, blend for 10 min. approx.

3. Refrigerate for a day or two, I give the mix a shake once in a while.

4. Filter with tea leaf strainer.

5. Drink juice. Can be added to food or beverage. Be cautious finding correct dosage. You get the medicinal effect of the resin plus antioxidants! It's cheap and natural and easy :)