What's new

idiit's qwiso taffy

idiit

Veteran
is not sticky. does not leave grease marks on fingers. pulls apart like taffy when pulled thin looks like taffy. is actually dark red and brown/amber hues when held up to the light. can be reconstituted by hand back into a hard petrified resin looking nug that feels hard to the touch.

picture.php

picture.php

idiit

Veteran
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=329308

^ interesting thread on which extracts taste best. does not address qwiso, but I've read posts saying properly purged qwiso can taste great. i'm learning.

Any special trick you used to get that nice texture?
30 second quick wash with 91% iso.

kept the amount of liquid in the pyrex baking dish low enough so that when completely dry was hard and looked glassy; amber mirror look. scraped, collected in a ramakin and placed in food dehydrator then slow purged at 135 f in temp. controlled food dehydrator until consistency was very thick ( 3 hours?). used wooden skewer ( bbq bamboo skewer) to stir some. no bubbles visible to my old eyes.

did not pour off the "milk" in this batch. should have.

the material was several months old and turned almost dark green/brown. moisture content of material was stable at correct moisture; not too dry, not too moist.

when came back to 72 f ( room temp) had the consistency of hard but pulled soft taffy.

need to get that "golden rope" color. according to what little I've read on vacuum purges I might need one of those contraptions. be interesting to see how dry bright green material comes out. need to pour off that milky stuff.

the taffy can be pulled, reconstituted by hand back into the hard nug, pulled again, reconstituted, pulled again. when pulled thin the colors look much better. very nice visual and tactile show. just needs the color lightened up.

incredibly easy to work with, just use fingers.

PDX Dopesmoker

30 second quick wash with 91% iso.

kept the amount of liquid in the pyrex baking dish low enough so that when completely dry was hard and looked glassy; amber mirror look. scraped, collected in a ramakin and placed in food dehydrator then slow purged at 135 f in temp. controlled food dehydrator until consistency was very thick ( 3 hours?). used wooden skewer ( bbq bamboo skewer) to stir some.

did not pour off the "milk" in this batch. should have.

the material was several months old and turned almost dark green/brown. moisture content of material was stable at correct moisture; not too dry, not too moist.

when came back to 72 f ( room temp) had the consistency of hard but pulled soft taffy.

need to get that "golden rope" color. according to what little I've read on vacuum purges I might need one of those contraptions. be interesting to see how dry bright green material comes out. need to pour off that milky stuff.

the taffy can be pulled, reconstituted by hand back into the hard nug, pulled again, reconstituted, pulled again. when pulled thin the colors look much better. very nice visual and tactile show. just needs the color lightened up.

I do it a very similar way using Everclear & get similar results right down to wondering if I should have poured off the milk. Unfortuantely the milk is a water/alcohol mixture that is over saturated with errrl, so pouring it off would be a bit of a waste. I have tried adding some extra uninfused Everclear at the end of evaporation to get the alcohol:water ratio up & increase the solubility of hash oil the remaining liquor & this seems to help a little. Add more solvent to the milk until it stops being milk. When you then get back to the milky stage the amount of milk the second time is much less. I guess you could keep on iterating until perfection or poverty (Everclear ain't free) occurred.
My best ever results using (almost) your setup involve doing all of the work on the bud & alcohol in the freezer so that no condensation happened onto the alcohol, glassware or bud during the time it was frozen & exposed to atmospheric humidity. Almost no milk at all was in the pyrex evaporation plate & it was a very thin film. All I had to do to make it into shatter was to scrape it up, put the powder & shards in some parchment & melt it at 125ºF in the toaster oven for 6 min then let it cool back down.

idiit

Veteran
Quote:
Any special trick you used to get that nice texture?

^ my bad. I put the nug in the corner of a plastic fold lock top sandwich bag and twist squeeze. the plastic twisted compresses the nug and leaves nice markings or if the plastic is smooth leaves a shiny glassy look.

my system enables me to process 1 oz of taffy (4 pyrex baking dishes) with close to only 1/2 hour actual labor. the total time elapse for a batch in warm conditions is a little over 24 hours. 280 grams dry trim and popcorn.

if anyone knows how to get golden colors/hues without vacuum i'm eager to learn.

deadkndys

If you can do the extraction in sub zero (or perhaps below 32°F) then the chlorophyll won't get extracted with the ethanol. But I'm betting sub zero temperature is better.

deadkndys

I like how these guys added a chiller to their closed loop alcohol extractor.

Attachments

• DSC_0034-1.jpg
    DSC_0034-1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 17

idiit

Veteran
I love the look of the golden concentrates.

I've got a strain that tastes like sweet blackberries. my taffy product has the color of blackberries. i'm hoping that a concentrate that looks like blackberries and tastes like sweet blackberries will have market appeal.

sweet blackberry taffy concentrates coming this fall. :)

I love the look of the golden concentrates.

I've got a strain that tastes like sweet blackberries. my taffy product has the color of blackberries. i'm hoping that a concentrate that looks like blackberries and tastes like sweet blackberries will have market appeal.

sweet blackberry taffy concentrates coming this fall. :)

Looks great and I'm sure it tastes great as well .......

Regarding marketability .......... hopefully you are not located in a weed snob area like Northern Calif. ......... where the general consensus is such that anything not "clear" will cause blindness, cancer or other life threatening issues.

idiit

Veteran
Regarding marketability .......... hopefully you are not located in a weed snob area like Northern Calif. ......... where the general consensus is such that anything not "clear" will cause blindness, cancer or other life threatening issues.
^ that's what i'm reading.

quote "Rosin "
^might have to got that route.

se usa doesn't have the concentrate supply yet. yes, there is a little bit here but I don't know anyone who knows anyone here using nail rigs.

ppl are dying to get some concentrates for their vapes.

1/2 the market here was smoking compressed 3 years ago. this is hard to believe for ppl out west but it is the truth. c r a z y.

now the se usa market is flooded with the lowest tier indoor and greenhouse bud. moves here at $20 gram all day. this area is where the low end stuff that didn't get turned into concentrates ends up.

no one I know has even seen or heard of cookies and glue.

^ this is not true for the younger crowd. i'm a geezer. the young un's are hip everywhere. but even the kids and grandkids of my circle have no access to a steady supply of dabs yet. no commercial transporters getting the high end quad bud here yet either.

there are going to be lots of very large commercial supplies of concentrates hitting the global market soon. places like South America's Uraguay, Paraguay, and provinces in countries like India and China where cannabis mfg. is not locally prohibited will be pumping out tons of concentrates very soon.

Alibaba cannabis extracts not too far off. :)

I'm hoping that something that tastes like sweet blackberries and looks like sweet blackberries will have a niche. it's very inexpensive and very easy to produce. I will not get the shatter market but this is a huge market with different market niches.

The one thing the competition does not have yet is outdoor seed stock for top tier exotic cannabis extracts but that will happen. maybe I can sell outdoor fem seed stock by the ounce at $1/seed (fems). working on that right now too. that comes out to $32,000/lb for something that has no smell and is very small package wise. they would be shipped to a places where cannabis production is not locally prohibited. ironic.

I can easily produce quality fem seeds at $2,000 oz. this is where it's going. i'm thinking seed biz.

in the great gold rush it was the suppliers that made money; hardware stores, saloons, ....
only 1/1000 miners made money. the purveyors cleaned up.

crazy, whacky .....

try to get ahead of the wave (tsunami) and establish a trust worthy brand. surfing the tsunami baby. :)

premium non hermie, hardy fem outdoor seed stock for exotic cannabis concentrates is what i'm looking at eventually. global fucking market for this seed stock by the pound. very soon. this concentrate canna biz is moving lightning fast.

sweet blackberry taffy is step one.

does anyone else think $100/gram black market retail for concentrates is insane? i'm thinking it goes down to well under $20/gram. maybe as low as $5. when third world starts grinding out tons of concentrates from a virtually unlimited supply of dry material it'll be down to cost of extraction at slave labor costs + a small $ per gram markup.

concentrates are incredibly easy to smuggle internationally, even large quantities.

cali top end shatter will be the small niche market. the world cannot afford these crazy prices.

idiit

Veteran
I smoked the taffy last night and so did one of my crew with his wife; separate locations.

this taffy was made with several month old bud trimming remnants. no popcorn, all trim.

I melted down 1/10th of a gram on aluminum foil to see what it did. one bubble, kinda small. I take this to show that it was well purged. looked like full melt black tar heroin fully melted; very very druggy looking.

very powerful and very smooth. 1/10th of a gram was enough for two ppl in my crew in their nail bowl for glass on glass bongs.

I hit less than 1/20th of a gram on top of a small bowl of some bud ground up in my bong glass bowl. very smooth. lots of white smoke. great high, better than the material dry, before concentrated.

this stuff is super easy to work with. just finger pinch off a very small piece (1/20th of a gram on my digis), flatten it and place on top of some bud crumble in a bowl. fanatastic. hits and hits.

wax I've made with qwiso in vape pens did not hit as well as this taffy did in both tests yesterday.

the taste was similar to the material it was made of which was a landrace. not dank tasting material and the concentrate was not dank tasting either but not unpleasant.

I have two strains outdoors that smell like blackberries in some phenos. they taste like berries. i'll find out this fall if the taffy concentrate from these blackberry strains tastes like it smells; sweet blackberry. the blackberry is coming from dr. gt's phz. I have two hybrids.

i'll post pics of the "sweet blackberry" buds, plants/yields, concentrate returns as a % of dry weight.

I've trademarked the blackberry taffy name via go daddy.

this is a chronicle of bringing a sweet blackberry taffy seed stock to market for outdoor grows. 'll try to sell the seeds for ppl that want a good concentrate fem seed strain to grow outdoors and include in the seed's package links to info on how they too can make blackberry taffy for themselves and/or customers.

that's the goal. I might fail, I might succeed. i'll have sweet blackberry material to make the sweet blackberry taffy out of this fall if all goes well. some of the sweet blackberry plants look like they could go purple as the stems are gorgeous black/purple looking.

pics. will be posted.

idiit

Veteran
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhSS_8XC9Pw ^^ diesel taffy utube

check out the 3 minute utube review. my taffy swirls very similar to this ( the heated shot) and looks better than this imo as mine does not have the bubbles and seriously looks like some very serious dark heroin oil during melt down. check out the 53 sec mark for the look of diesel taffy.

based on this video i'm starting to feel like my qwiso taffy is a lot more legit than I originally did. look at all the bubbles. my taffy has a lot less bubbles; better purge?

correctly done qwiso might have a much brighter future than the ic mag consensus perspective.

idiit

Veteran
jump117 has a very interesting thread on qwick wash amber:

picture.php

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=90456&page=5

^ he's using fresh bud ( not dried) product.

The consistency of amber was achieved, shown and described in a warm kitchen-lab at 24-27°C, independently of weather outside.

metamorf has some interesting results with dried bud product:

quote: "Originally Posted by metamorf
And... The winner is: cheese glass iso
biggrin.gif
"

32326IMG_3445.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorf
This was from about 10-15 grams of dried and cured A.M.S bud taken 8 weeks. Only one run, 15 secs of shaking with 97% isopropyl and then strain and cook off the iso. Took about two hours total, the strength? It was ridiculous, I gave it all away since it was way too much for me.

idiit

Veteran
then there is the idea of quick wash rehydrated dried bud:

Hi Gunna! Three years.. as time goes by..
What do you think about that re-humidifying? How can we do it better and best?
Jump

Yes, I like the idea Jump, if it genuinely produces the same results as fresh plant material. The dried material will reabsorb water like a sponge and pass it through each cell's membrane or plasmodesmata. I have used dried bud for water curing before and the buds just rehydrate to their full size again. On occasions when someone has given me overly dry buds, I put them in a jar or bag and smear a little water around the inside surface, before sealing. After a few hours the water has evaporated and been absorbed by the buds, giving them a softer, fresher feel. It's exactly how a cigar humidor works.

If, however one was trying to drastically hydrate the plant material then spraying the buds with a mist, inside a bag before sealing for a few hours would probably work but one wouldn't want to leave it sitting for too long or it might start to ferment and ruin the smell. One might also be able to speed up the process by placing the buds in a steamer, on a low setting. Fully rehydrating the plant material right through might not be necessary because it is only the surface of the plant tissues that will come into contact with the alcohol. Once the surface plant cells are fully rehydrated, it should be ready for extraction.

Gunna

Jump has been looking into rehydrating dried plant material to see if it produces the same results as fresh plant material.

It's unlikely that one would get budder that colour every time than one extracted from fresh material. It would have had alot to do with the strain, amongst other things. However, yes the extraction should in theory be cleaner from fresh or rehydrated plant material.

It's not going to change the yield or potency significantly. It may decrease the amount of undesirable substances in the oil and therefore make it slightly more concentrated and slightly less voluminous but the main reason for using fresh plant material is because of the speed, fewer undesirable substances to inhale, improved appearance and perhaps improved taste and smell.

Gunna

quote"The only explanation I see is that non-polar unwanted oils/waxes that provide runny resin were
protected against a solvent with a shield made of water soluble terpens."

picture.php

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=90456&page=6

idiit

Veteran
^^ thanks chaos. I needed to reread that and will probably reread it again. I absorb a little at a time. :)

from the linked skunkpharm article:

A cured material QWISO absolute made from prime bud, is one of the most aromatic and tasty of the extraction and consistently gets high raves from the volunteer test panels, as well as the patients and students when vaporized. Both from an efficacy, as well as a flavor standpoint.
^ clearly contradicts the perspective of most ic posters on the perceived poor quality of proper qwiso.

jump is getting hard amber out of quick wash.

the majority of this article is on leaf extract. does give the process for winterizing which will be a step I will try for popcorn/trim extract for a better color of final product.

unless I read it wrong jump and gunnaknow are saying (^ post #16) damp product will actually protect the unwanted elements of the material from being extracted. quote"The only explanation I see is that non-polar unwanted oils/waxes that provide runny resin were protected against a solvent with a shield made of water soluble terpens." summation of post #16.

jump got hard amber out of quick wash pga ( pure grain alcohol) on fresh bud product. i'm using isopropyl. jump was not familiar with iso so he used other solvents. I've been running qwiso on dry product.

I had a pound of popcorn/trim handy. I ran 1/2 dry material using 30 sec qwiso. product is very similar to the taffy I posted at the beginning of this thread. I spent an hour this morning cleaning my baking dishes and utensils from the black oily goo. I just ran the other 1/2 moist ( rehydrated). product will be ready tomorrow. i'll post pics.

idiit

Veteran
the batch from moist product is scraped and in the food dehydrator. I lost 50% of my previous yield off dry material from the same extraction material.

the extracted concentrate is considerably less oily/gooey. it looks lighter in color but still has dark oily look to it.

I just took another batch of dry bud trimmings and put it in the freezer along with the required amount of iso alcohol. I will run "frozen", then winterize (or at least what my feeble grasp thinks winterize is at this time) the oil, re-filter, dry in pyrex baking pans and purge in food dehydrator.

edit: upon second reading of linked shunkpharm article need o degree f to winterize. can get a medical freezer 1.5 cu ft. off ebay new for $350. will probably get a unit this fall. 1.5 cu feet is a very small footprint and easy to find a place for it.

no winterize step this time. need to freeze material to be extracted and iso alcohol at 0 degree f as well.

If you can do the extraction in sub zero (or perhaps below 32°F) then the chlorophyll won't get extracted with the ethanol. But I'm betting sub zero temperature is better.
^ i'm slow but i'm gettin' there. :)

idiit's going fo da gold! :)

Gold_Bars.jpg

idiit

Veteran
Hey no problem, and thanks for the kind words. Yes, I have never been afraid to say "I don't know" when I don't know. But I do know a few things, and I always want to share knowledge whenever I can, because others have taught me quite a bit, and I always want to give back whenever I can. So I'm glad you've appreciated this thread, and I thank you for the compliments.

You know, not too many. I would say my technique has always remained the same at the core, but a few things have been fine tuned. The most important thing is I don't use heat anymore. Even when I made sure the heat stayed below 180°F, it would affect the end result by making it sticky instead of shatter. I think a vacuum chamber would be nice, though, because then I could boil off the alcohol at a lower temp. But for now, just being patient and letting it all air dry with no heat results in the best product.

s3Cdhbv.jpg

That's a good question, what made me decide to reheat? I can't remember exactly! Looking back, I remember getting to a point where I felt defeated... I just couldn't figure out a way to make the stuff easier to work with, to be able to use the end product without getting it everywhere and sticking to myself and to the containers and so on. I began reading a lot of different ways people work with their concentrates, and not just qwiso, but BHO and other ways too. I also remember gathering TONS of valuable info over at Gray Wolf's site. I've actually found that some of the gems of information are in the comments section below each of the blog posts there (which are already phenomenally valuable themselves!). And I remember people talking about using parchment paper for a final remelt which helps to get just a smidge of decarboxylation happening and stuff like that. At some point I ended up going out and buying a roll of parchment paper, then reheating some powdered qwiso scrapings on low in the oven. As it began melting I realized there was still some bubbles of iso puffing up and purging itself, from that point on I've always done it, to get the last bit of the iso out.

Most commonly in the world of cannabis concentrates, the nonpolar solvent seems that to be butane and the polar solvent ethanol... In my case though, it wouldn't technically be correct to call it winterization because I start my extraction in a polar solvent, isopropyl alcohol. Winterization is technically starting your extraction off with a nonpolar solvent, and then redissolving in a polar solvent. But iso is less polar than ethanol, so if I wash my qwiso in ethanol, it should still pull out some of the waxes the iso picked up, however few they are... according to the info I've gathered from the other site, anyway.

The extractions featured in this thread have all been from dried trim, from previous harvests. The most recent one I did, which was of a better quality end result, was frozen trim soaked in frozen iso for 20 seconds or so, followed by maybe another 30 seconds of a partial soak (due to a small portion of the leaf mass being stuck in the strainer, which was due to lack of preparation and foresight). I predict that next time, when I compensate for the logistical problem I ran into last time, the end result will have even less waxes and water solubles in it.

:D

So your not shaking, just soaking? I have started looking into extractions many times but now I'm serious! I'm gonna look into Grey Wolf. He has his own site? Also plan to pick up some partchment paper. Thanks again, I'll be following along!
~mT

Oh, I forgot to mention that, but yes, during that 20 seconds I am gently rolling the jar around. Not a shake so much as a swish. In the past when I shook harder I noticed the alcohol would take on a green color even with a very quick wash time. I believe this is because the trim is very fragile while it is submerged in freezing alcohol, and the cell wall can be easily broken down.

Yeah do a search for skunk pharm research and you'll find it. (I never know if we're allowed to leave links or not?)

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=282881&page=4

^ from hush's thread; this looks like there are two improvements; no heat, just air dry and winterize. however as bolded from hush to winterize I would need to extract with non iso to start with. i'm wanting to keep it 100% iso if I can, so winterize might be out for now.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=282881&page=19

I also want to get the medical freezer and try stuff out frozen -20C.

i'm going to try this technique next batch.

Latest posts

Latest posts