What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Out of the BHO game - what's next?

OceanGrownPharm

Hey there fellow hash makers!

Unfortunately for your truly, my state government has decided that solvent based extractions can only be done by the 3 compassion centers we have.

That means my lean, mean, bottom-pouring modified CLS system will need to find a new owner somewhere that's not so restrictive.

That being said I am now in need of a new method to make my concentrates.

I need to process a few pounds of lowers/larf/trim

I've experimented with a few techniques in the past but have spent the last few years working solely with BHO.

Rosin with a 20 ton press?
Washer and bubble bags for Ice hash?

What's going to get me a happy combination of yield and quantity (all other things being equal).

Any help is much appreciated!

OceanGrownPharm

Oops! Quality not quantity!

What kind of yields can I expect from Rosin?

What's the realistic amount that can be "squished" in an hour?

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
Open blasting, whew

8025038_dabs-will-get-you-as-high-as-you-can-possibly_t1e765297.jpg

packerfan79

Veteran
I average 25% out of top shelf bud. I haven't tried running dry sift or bubble yet. I have a half pound of trim that I need to get pressed

packerfan79

Veteran
I can probably get 20 to 30 grams in an hour. But I pre press which takes time and collecting it takes time.

cannabia

I truly prefer the bho process and since i am contemplating switching from it too before its illegal (so dumb considering you can buy and refill your own lighters and thats ok)

I think efficiency wise ill be doing dry ice kief then rosin just cant stand making weed pucks ... but never say never, ill be experimenting with this in the near future.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rosin can be scaled but there is too much left over not to solvent wash.

PDX Dopesmoker

Are you still legally allowed to do CO2 extractions or does your state consider CO2 to be a solvent like Oregon does (above 150ºF, below that temperature CO2 stops being a hydrocarbon according to our current crop if regulators).

http://paradigmsupercritical.com seems to be very on top of their game as far as CO2 equipment manufacturers go

If you want to push you luck you could also switch to winterizing your plant matter. Winterizing is not an extraction process, it is a post-processing step used to clean up finished extractions. If you repeat that last sentence on enough forums under different aliases it will eventually become true. Anyway winterizing is a great cleaning technique and I've found you can use it on just about any smokable cannabis product, not just BHO. I've winterized bud, trim, kief, stems, roaches all with very good effect, really cleans them up nice and removes almost 100% of the particulate matter.

PDX Dopesmoker

thats debatable. We have pressed strains that yield 25%, even 30%. Cant be much left at that point, never heard of a bho extraction surpassing 30%.

With respect to the "Cant be much left at that point" did you ever try eating your pressed out material? I never passed the hair straightener phase, but a gram of rosin chips in my house makes an OK edible dose & two grams a really good one. With your return rate you might need more than a couple grams though.

redlaser

Veteran
I hate to waste anything that might be usable so I decarb the pressed pucks and make coconut butter or oil with it.

I also only press flowers and never use any containment so about 10% of the presses have minor to major blowouts, pushing plant matter into the rosin. Since its still going to be used its not as big of a deal.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thats debatable. We have pressed strains that yield 25%, even 30%. Cant be much left at that point, never heard of a bho extraction surpassing 30%.

I love a debate.

But I have shit for ammo. I've yet to make enough worth washing.

I imagine a more experienced hand would squeeze closer to maximum yield, but surely there is something to the numerous reports of packing tubes and getting 5-15%.

And I don't have to imagine much to think the one's getting 15% are also the people posting pictures of partially pressed hash pads.

Five points adds up quick.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
if i got only 15% out of a tube, i never filled it with that stuff again really. 16-18% was about the line in the bho years, which were many.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry, I meant packing tubes with rosin waste re: 5-15%.

Not dying was my goal during my BHO days, which were few. Maybe two. Days. Open blasting and purging in a jerry rigged vacuum "oven". I wasn't a fan of concentrates at the time and could barely hold interest. We had all sorts of neato organic soils to mix and watch kill plants, I don't recall even trying the finished product.

I don't have a very good filtre between brain and maw.

Brain and claw in this case.

CHEERIO

audiohi

Veteran
Anyway winterizing is a great cleaning technique and I've found you can use it on just about any smokable cannabis product, not just BHO. I've winterized bud, trim, kief, stems, roaches all with very good effect, really cleans them up nice and removes almost 100% of the particulate matter.

Roaches?

What's the end product of that winterization look like? I've never seen or even thought about that before. Sounds gross... but interesting

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Sorry, I meant packing tubes with rosin waste re: 5-15%.

Not dying was my goal during my BHO days, which were few. Maybe two. Days. Open blasting and purging in a jerry rigged vacuum "oven". I wasn't a fan of concentrates at the time and could barely hold interest. We had all sorts of neato organic soils to mix and watch kill plants, I don't recall even trying the finished product.

I don't have a very good filtre between brain and maw.

Brain and claw in this case.

CHEERIO

I'd imagine a well pressed puck would yield near the 5% with butane afterwords. The thing is, no matter what you get in a secondary extract after first heat extracting, its pretty much garbage. I did it once, had two hits and gave it away. Weak and yucky.

PDX Dopesmoker

Roaches?

What's the end product of that winterization look like? I've never seen or even thought about that before. Sounds gross... but interesting

Don't look man, just eat it & smile.
The interesting aspect of the process was how clean the papers were afterwards - looked liked they'd never been smoked. That was a striking visual demonstration of the efficiency & thoroughness of the extraction process.