What's new

Cooling recovery pump exhaust

pnw bb

Good day icmag community

Currently i am cooling dual cps trs21 by placing stainless coils in a bath of iso alc and continuous addition of dry ice.

my thoughts are to replace the dry ice with a cryo recirculator. and pump fluid from a reservoir thru the chiller to the res with the coils and back again.

Would it be more efficient to just add a jacket to my stainless recovery vessel and just cool that? avoiding then the need to inline prechill my solvent prior to injection?

or is it most efficient to cool the coils?

how are you guys keeping your coils cool?

im trying to eliminate daily dry ice runs to the store as well as take advantage of the other benefits of having more precise control over temps

i appreciate any and all input. Thanks guys

You could go with a counterflow heat exchanger with a chiller or liquid nitrogen. Or if you got a chiller you could just place your coil in the resevoir and forego the circulation.

Old Gold

Them TRS's run HOTTTTT. I'm basically doing what you're doing for my coil. I'd go with liquid nitrogen cooling.
My CMEP-OL didn't output nearly as hot as these things.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm pleased with how well the counter flow heat exchangers cool the exhaust and the holding tank. We had our exchangers custom wound and use a Thermo Fisher Merlin 150 process chiller on the coolant side. It runs through the counter flow exchanger from the pump first, and then through a 1/2" X 50' coil in the storage tank bath.

We used the same exchanger with liquid nitrogen, for chilling the injection.

Gtir

I'm pleased with how well the counter flow heat exchangers cool the exhaust and the holding tank. We had our exchangers custom wound and use a Thermo Fisher Merlin 150 process chiller on the coolant side. It runs through the counter flow exchanger from the pump first, and then through a 1/2" X 50' coil in the storage tank bath.

We used the same exchanger with liquid nitrogen, for chilling the injection.

How exactly do you cool w the liquid nitrogen? Do you just pipe in through or doesn't it get TO cold.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You release liquid from the Dewar into the heat exchanger coil, and it is vapor by the time it reaches the other end.

You can control flow with an orifice or control valve, which in conjunction with time, is how we control ours.

Gtir

You release liquid from the Dewar into the heat exchanger coil, and it is vapor by the time it reaches the other end.

You can control flow with an orifice or control valve, which in conjunction with time, is how we control ours.

When you say release liquid from a dewar, how is that setup? Does your dewar have a port on the bottom or a dipstick or something?

Old Gold

When you say release liquid from a dewar, how is that setup? Does your dewar have a port on the bottom or a dipstick or something?

Dipstick to the bottom of the tank, and most likely a gas line at the head of the tank where you have head pressure from gaseous nitrogen (this is vented at high pressures so you don't have a sitting bomb)

Gtir

Dipstick to the bottom of the tank, and most likely a gas line at the head of the tank where you have head pressure from gaseous nitrogen (this is vented at high pressures so you don't have a sitting bomb)

I was going to get one of those from the weldong supply store but they are like 700lbs, they also had smaller dewars that are basically buckets of liquid nitrogen and I'm wondering if I could use one of those.

Old Gold

I was going to get one of those from the weldong supply store but they are like 700lbs, they also had smaller dewars that are basically buckets of liquid nitrogen and I'm wondering if I could use one of those.

I'm sure you could if you have a coil in a bath. It's probably just harder to regulate temperature that way.

Were they offering fill-ups for those tanks as well? How do the little guys go about attaining some LN2?

Last edited:

Concentrated_

Does anyone know where to source a good counter flow heat exchanger from. I currently have the asme heat exchanger from Bhogart which works pretty good with just ice water but I wanna pre chill my solvent sound like to plumb one for recovery and one for injection using co2 or ln2

Gtir

Does anyone know where to source a good counter flow heat exchanger from. I currently have the asme heat exchanger from Bhogart which works pretty good with just ice water but I wanna pre chill my solvent sound like to plumb one for recovery and one for injection using co2 or ln2

Drop a coil in a dry ice and alcohol bath

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Pharmgold sells theirs separately. Try sales@pharmgold.com

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

The Dewar has a vapor and liquid valve (diptube). We open the liquid valve and inject liquid in one end of the counter flow heat exchanger through an orifice, which flashes to a vapor and exits the other end of the counter flow.

maxinum

chilling

chilling

The Dewar has a vapor and liquid valve (diptube). We open the liquid valve and inject liquid in one end of the counter flow heat exchanger through an orifice, which flashes to a vapor and exits the other end of the counter flow.

Gray Wolf to do sub 0 the Dewar that you use are they low med or high pressure and what size is the transfer hose and orifice .
your cyclone filter design works great and saved my CMEP-OL pump from a rebuild .

thanks for all the help past and present

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gray Wolf to do sub 0 the Dewar that you use are they low med or high pressure and what size is the transfer hose and orifice .
your cyclone filter design works great and saved my CMEP-OL pump from a rebuild .

thanks for all the help past and present

Gas head pressure relief is around 200/250 psi.

Polymers get dicey at liquid N2 temperatures. I used a coil of 3/8" stainless tubing to connect the Dewar. Rolling it into about a 10" coil gave it flexibility to stretch and move side to side. Even stainless gets brittle at those temperatures, so they shouldn't be moved around while at subzero.

My notes are at the office and I don't remember the orifice size. I'll check my notes at the office and get back to you. It does matter what altitude you are at, so it will just give you a ball park

You can also use a Swagelok PTFE seated ball valve for metering, you just won't be able to move it after the first moments. It also opens the possibility that it will be left closed, and the line filled with expanding liquid before also closing the tank valve, thus rupturing even a stainless steel hydraulic tubing transfer line, as the liquid N2 warms up.

Hee, hee, hee, the Clyclone Drier works slick, doesn't it. Both effective and easy to service.

Latest posts

Latest posts