What's new

how long does a seeded plant need to go for seeds to be ready?

im doing a seed run of og ghost train haze #9 and bangi haze from ace seeds. 4 seeds of each got 4 gth females and 3 bh females, one male. i sexed all the clones in the same tray. now that i have one male that could pollinate all the females, how long do i need to let all the plants go until the seeds are ready to harvest?

the plan is to up pot the tray and leave them outside long enough for the seeds to be ready. will the plants take a full 12 weeks or whatever the full flowering time is?

if I'm not gonna smoke the weed can i just spray with eagle 20 to keet the pm and mold away and not worry about anything?

PY0mEiO.jpg

waveguide

Veteran
maybe a month would be the minimum for viable seeds if you were desperate, 5 or 6 weeks would be decent, there should be dry calyxes and protruding seeds ready to drop from most strains by then, in my experience. of course more time is better, say 8 would be about the most before you're picking most of them off the ground.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Seeds can be ready in 4 weeks. But there are variables to that. Giving them up to 5-6 weeks will help to increase viable seeds. In theory, if you have two cuttings from the same plant and one is very lightly seeded (a seed or two per bud) and the other has been very heavily seeded. The one that is lightly seeded will produce viable seeds sooner then the one that is fully seeded, which will need a little more time for the crop to mature.

It is nice to be able to sample the plant that you are selecting for seeds, even if that sample is from seeded bud. You can pick out what you like best, or what you find to be the best one.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
^-- yup yup yup. Its an energy thing.
I've noticed with Ful-Power and SST's seeds are done several days to a week sooner (same clone)

MicroRoy

Does anyone have any ideas how the epigenome switches might be triggered differently. If you harvest sooner rather than later or vice versa.?

Might it make the new crop of seeds favor one phenotype over another?

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
Another good reason to let your girls get a few weeks into flowering before pollinating. It seems likely that you would be favoring early finishing plants by using that harvest strategy. Thcv on point. :)

That way you also have more potential pistils for perpetuation. ;)

Tom Hill

Veteran
what is the mean temperature and other environmental parameters for said parent and what do saids parent previous records indicate? get the picture? use 4 weeks as a guideline but u will will be the first to know when they are really done in any given environment.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think all the bases are covered...

Anyway...
As mentioned... 4 weeks at the very minimum for mature seed.

I always go 6+ just to ensure maturity.
I think seeds that are left to dry naturally on the plant have better storage life as well. But that is just a thought... Nothing proven... That is a test that takes quite some time to complete... Say... Years & years...

pastor

you will see when the seeds will be mature, calyxes will open a little and seeds will be the right appearance (right color, mottled or not).
it depends when you make pollination, usually 1/4 to 1/3 of flowering time.
good luck.

ps: be carefull of "only one male" coz if it's a "bad one" (or at least "not so good") your progenies will be fully affected by him.

Latest posts

Latest posts