What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

open blast pressurized extractors?

bhogo

I was talking to a guy who says he open blasts with a pressurized extractor. He says he's able to pull a vacuum on his system before putting in the butane which removes moisture. I'm looking at different ones available and I'm not sure if they are capable of doing so. Is this one by BVV capable? Or modifiable in a way to do so?
http://www.bestvaluevacs.com/obe270.html
anybody know of anyone else selling these? Ideally I'd want one shorter but with a wider diameter so I could fit it in a cooler.

bhogo

Also does pulling a vacation on it make it unnecessary to dehydrate the material before hand?

vividavis

I was talking to a guy who says he open blasts with a pressurized extractor. He says he's able to pull a vacuum on his system before putting in the butane which removes moisture. I'm looking at different ones available and I'm not sure if they are capable of doing so. Is this one by BVV capable? Or modifiable in a way to do so?
anybody know of anyone else selling these? Ideally I'd want one shorter but with a wider diameter so I could fit it in a cooler.

Do yourself and everyone a favor and get a cls.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

You can replace the end caps and plumb them with valves from Glacier Tank and other places.

You can also build your own using components from GT.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Also does pulling a vacation on it make it unnecessary to dehydrate the material before hand?

No, pulling a vacuum before blasting is a non issue and a good idea to get the oxygen out before injecting the inflammable butane.

One consideration and option not available to an open blaster, is pre distilling the butane to remove the residual MO. You might consider stepping up to at least a passive system, so as to reduce that exposure.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I try to pull a vacation on my extractor all the time too ... usually she looks at me and says, "Fuck vacation, you gotta work" :laughing:

Terpenator wenches are dominating bitches for sure! S Sam picked the name Beta Bitch for automated Mk VA SN 00003, coming to believe that she was a dominatrix and S Sneaky declared that Johnny 5 and Jenny turned him into a Smeagol!

I'm growing more suspicious with time, that all the sticky spots on the ladies aren't spilled oil, and often have to wipe down units in the shop, after their soon to be owners, or potential customers leave, so as to remove finger prints and suspicious sticky spots.

One customer did ask for the incremental cost of adding foam rubber appendages on the two automated dump valves on a Mk VA2, to grip and fondle, while watching the sight glass flow amber goodness.

No, pulling a vacuum before blasting is a non issue and a good idea to get the oxygen out before injecting the inflammable butane.

One consideration and option not available to an open blaster, is pre distilling the butane to remove the residual MO. You might consider stepping up to at least a passive system, so as to reduce that exposure.

I dont have access to a CLS. But I do have myself a 2'' SS tube with a valve ontop to control the solvent going into the tube, but at the bottom I have one of those distribution shower disks.

Now I would like to be able to soak my material in the tube for a few seconds. But id then need to have a valve on the bottom to be able to seal the tube.

BUT this sounds very dangerous, from a pressure point of view..
If it can be done,lets say I inject the tane with bottom valve closed Or slightly open to not have pressure building, then when I see a bit of Solvent(tane) run out, I will close bottom valve and wait about 5 seconds for it to soak, close top valve, wait 5-10 seconds then slowly open bottom valve to let the solvent run into the dish.

What would make this safer? What if I put a pressure gauge onto the tube to see what pressures the tube is at?

Rather safe than sorry...

Last edited:

Dabology

I would really recommend investing in a cheap cls system, just recovering the butane the unit will pay for itself really quick, without a sleeved material tube i wouldn't recommend soaking for more than a few minutes. Your product will just come out darker and pull more plant fats and all that other no good stuff. If you really want to test the soak as long as you have two proper valves they should be safe to handle close to 100 psi , and just doing a soak for a few minutes there's no way you will get even close to that ive used http://www.bestvaluevacs.com/closed-column-pressureized.html one of the larger collums and done soaks up to 30 minutes with no issues, i wouldnt recommand there vavles i had to replace them almost a month after i got the system due to leaks

I dont have access to a CLS. But I do have myself a 2'' SS tube with a valve ontop to control the solvent going into the tube, but at the bottom I have one of those distribution shower disks.

Now I would like to be able to soak my material in the tube for a few seconds. But id then need to have a valve on the bottom to be able to seal the tube.

BUT this sounds very dangerous, from a pressure point of view..
If it can be done,lets say I inject the tane with bottom valve closed Or slightly open to not have pressure building, then when I see a bit of Solvent(tane) run out, I will close bottom valve and wait about 5 seconds for it to soak, close top valve, wait 5-10 seconds then slowly open bottom valve to let the solvent run into the dish.

What would make this safer? What if I put a pressure gauge onto the tube to see what pressures the tube is at?

Rather safe than sorry...

TerpChild

Hey 420 did you end up trying the closed column with a few second soak? I am interested about this technique myself after seeing the BVV closed pressure columns for about $200. Does anyone with cls experience know if a soak actually increases yields? Most of the time i read about multiple showers as opposed to soaks.

No I didnt make a closed column.

I have rather saved up to get a MK III terp. only a 6" collection. But its a start in learning how to operate a cls..

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey 420 did you end up trying the closed column with a few second soak? I am interested about this technique myself after seeing the BVV closed pressure columns for about $200. Does anyone with cls experience know if a soak actually increases yields? Most of the time i read about multiple showers as opposed to soaks.

We tried that technique early on, and it did improve the yield, but a disproportionate portion of the gain was stuff we didn't want.

We even tried vibrating it while it soaked under pressure, which collected even more stuff that we didn't want.

We now know we should have done it frozen, which would have improved the target to undesirable component ratio, but even with a subzero CLS, soaking increases the C-30 pickup, so for pristine museum quality braging rights concentrates, we typically wash rather than soak.

Attachments

• BHO Pressurized and vibrated-1-1.jpg
    BHO Pressurized and vibrated-1-1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 9

MrBungle

I've been running a closed column set up for a while now... I've been freezing the tane, but leaving the material room temp, pull a vac on the tube for about 5-10 min.... and weigh in my tane as it pushes into the column...
I usually run about 60-80 grams of liquid in a 6 inch x 1.5 diameter tube and about 100-150 grams in a 12 inch x 1.5 diameter..
I used to do it by weight only, but now I have a pressure gauge to watch also.. I never see the pressure go over 60 psi with those weights...
Once everything is soaking I give it 7-10 min max or like Gray Wolf says you start stripping stuff you don't want...
When all is said and done I get 2-3 runs from a single can of butane... not as clean as a CLS but certainly not horrible either

TerpChild

Gotcha. So if im going to get one and soak the material, it should have a dewaxing sleeve so i can freeze the tube beforehand and use DI in the sleeve? Does this significantly reduce the chlorphyll and wax picked up during a soak?
I guess i am also hearing that soaking is only really a good idea for trim runs then as picking up a little extra plant matter is not as crucial as if im running nuggies?

I've done half a dozen runs with the pressurized columns from bvv and gotten some great oil. I froze everything, packed the column, pulled vacuum, filled the column with butane, soaked in a dry ice bath for 45 minutes and release. Yields were around 15% off year old nug.