What's new

To grind, or not to grind... For BHO

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi folks.
This thread is about making bho.
I dont care about qwiso and bubblehash can go fuck itself. Im a big boy. I practice saftey first. And i want the best most potent product. So please dont try to tell me bho is dangerous or qwiso is just as good or any crap about bubble... Been there done that - no thanks.

Just wanted to be clear about that. Now that thats out of the way...

I have an Extraction Experts Stainless steel double barrel apparatus due to arrive anyday now.
Ive got my pyrex, my hot plate, and 6z of nicely grown organic maui outdoor woohoo buds (not trim) to work with.

Im hoping to get 30-60g of oil to work with for use as a topical treatment vs skin cancer via the holy annoitting oil recipe lifted from the book of exodus in the bible...

Ive helped make bho before im very familiar with the steps involving delivering the butane, the purge, the scrape... The thing that confuses me is whether or not to grind the buds, chop the buds, or load the buds whole. Previously we've ground the buds into a fine powder and things came out great. But ive read multiple times and seen in youtube vids that some folks prefer to chop the buds...

My question/s is/are what are the pros and cons of grinding vs chopping vs complete buds?

How can i best prepare buds to deliver maximum oil from the extraction process?

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

We are going to be documenting the whole process of the oil treatment... From making the hash oil to mixing in the other oils (coconut, cinnamin) creating the HAO concoction, application of the HAO, as well as daily pictures of the diagnosed's cancer. Hopefully we can beat it. And beat big pharma, too, those motherfuckers...

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi folks.
I dont care about qwiso and bubblehash can go fuck itself. Im a big boy. I practice saftey first. And i want the best most potent product. So please dont try to tell me bho is dangerous or qwiso is just as good or any crap about bubble... Been there done that - no thanks.

I have an Extraction Experts Stainless steel double barrel apparatus due to arrive anyday now.
Ive got my pyrex, my hot plate, and 6z of nicely grown organic maui outdoor woohoo buds (not trim) to work with.

Im hoping to get 30-60g of oil to work with for use as a topical treatment vs skin cancer via the holy annoitting oil recipe lifted from the book of exodus in the bible...

Ive helped make bho before im very familiar with the steps involving delivering the butane, the purge, the scrape... The thing that confuses me is whether or not to grind the buds, chop the buds, or load the buds whole. Previously we've ground the buds into a fine powder and things came out great. But ive read multiple times and seen in youtube vids that some folks prefer to chop the buds...

My question/s is/are what are the pros and cons of grinding vs chopping vs complete buds?

We are going to be documenting the whole process of the oil treatment... From making the hash oil to mixing in the other oils (coconut, cinnamin) creating the HAO concoction, application of the HAO, as well as daily pictures of the diagnosed's cancer. Hopefully we can beat it. And beat big pharma, too, those motherfuckers...

I would use this technique.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=180265

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Hi folks.

HAHA!! LOVE IT!!!!! :tiphat:

m4n

Good shit...I jus broke down my buds with sicorros...I was eyeing the extraction experts 200 gram tube on ebay for 60 but was laggin...gunna make my own. I have a brown safeway bag bout 3/4 filled with outdoor popcorn bud that's jus been sittin there in the closet,Im hoping for atleast a QP of whipped budder...

KonradZuse

Dude BHO blows, QWISO FTW!!!......

In all seriousness,

I do 2 runs usually. 1 whole/broken up a bit, and the 2nd one is ground. IMO if it's ground up you could get extra particulates falling through, but I haven't really noticed much, but sometimes....

Since you're a big boy you can ground up all your stuff(get more room in your toob) and then blast more at a time(since you said you have like 6 oz?)

i seive my material to eliminate fines.

Thats the method that I'm going to use. Seems like prepping the material and getting rid of as much contaminants, before the extraction, will get you the cleanest product.

I have a couple of questions: 1. how do you make sure that the chemical you use for extraction, fully contacts your material? I'm worried about caking, like how you can have dry clumps of powder, in a hot chocolate mix. 2. whats the end product look like, taste like, and react like? Is there a difference?

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
do you prefer blond oil, or do you really like that black oil?

those that prefer quality extract fresh

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Depends on the end product goal. If you are making a topical for skin cancer, there is little advantage to not grinding, and grinding is more efficient, as it exposes more surface area of the material to the solvent.

Usually you don't grind when you are trying to preserve terpene flavors for vaporizing.

We don't ever grind, as we force it through a sieve instead, to minimize fines, that require subsequent filtration.

Hi folks.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
do you prefer blond oil, or do you really like that black oil?

those that prefer quality extract fresh

That most certainly provides the freshest flavor, but for those who crave the hash flavor instead, cured material with a non polar solvent is the easiest process.

What about pounding the shit out of the plant, like they do in morocco? Then cleaning up your kief + plant, with your solvent based extraction technique? I do like the taste of Moroccan hash.

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Depends on the end product goal. If you are making a topical for skin cancer, there is little advantage to not grinding, and grinding is more efficient, as it exposes more surface area of the material to the solvent.

Usually you don't grind when you are trying to preserve terpene flavors for vaporizing.

We don't ever grind, as we force it through a sieve instead, to minimize fines, that require subsequent filtration.

awesome
thank you for the details
and thanks to you and eloquentslutions for all of the information you have shared.

about the sieve.... i imagine running 6oz+ of buds thru a sieve is gonna take some time (which is fine sometimes theres no avoiding labor). is there any dissandvantage to running the product thru the sieve a day or two before the extraction, or is freshly sieved material going to be the best. the reason i am asking is im am still waiting for the tubes to be delivered from extractionexperts and i feel like i want to get a jump on things....

but like i mentioned earlier if i have to spend some time working to make it right then i have to spend some time working.

thanks again

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
I have used whole buds and ground buds.

I think that if the material is too packed it restricts the flow and some product will be lost.

Because the Butane is a gas at first and then becomes a liquid the gas permeates all the buds and the loose packing allows a better flow. With ground material you could have a restricted flow that could allow resin to build up in the packed matter and you will lose it.

I would try both ways and do it scientifically if you want to really know. Weigh the amounts that you put in and weigh the amounts that come out. That way you really know. Tell us what you find out.

hammalamma

Veteran
I have used whole buds and ground buds.

I think that if the material is too packed it restricts the flow and some product will be lost.

Because the Butane is a gas at first and then becomes a liquid the gas permeates all the buds and the loose packing allows a better flow. With ground material you could have a restricted flow that could allow resin to build up in the packed matter and you will lose it.

I would try both ways and do it scientifically if you want to really know. Weigh the amounts that you put in and weigh the amounts that come out. That way you really know. Tell us what you find out.

You must remember, we are not going for weight, we are going for concentration of the GOOD stuff.

Im wondering if the answer should be split: if fresh - yes, if dry - no. Here's my reasoning, I think if you grind dry or cold brittle plant material, your more likely to pulverize the plant matter into fine particles, which would make for a bad extraction material (even with fine sieves, your still left with the problem of too much surface area???). If its fresh, then the plant can be chopped into pieces of the right size without being pulverized.

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
You must remember, we are not going for weight, we are going for concentration of the GOOD stuff.

Oh I know, that is why you are making BHO..

Anything that comes out and is left over is the good stuff.

Butane washes off all the resin it can reach in the vessel. That resin is liquified and drips out of the bottom of the vessel. Everything that come through the filter is either resin or Butane. Once the Butane has evaporated you have resin.

So the Only consideration is how much comes out. My theory is that if it is packed too tightly not all the resin will make it way to the collection tray. My theory is that a restricted flow will impede all the resin making it to the tray.

Nothing in this thread addresses quality. The quality is there regardless of what method you use. The quantity is the only thing that will be effected.

Thats the method that I'm going to use. Seems like prepping the material and getting rid of as much contaminants, before the extraction, will get you the cleanest product.

I have a couple of questions: 1. how do you make sure that the chemical you use for extraction, fully contacts your material? I'm worried about caking, like how you can have dry clumps of powder, in a hot chocolate mix. 2. whats the end product look like, taste like, and react like? Is there a difference?

sorry i did not see your post. not trying to ignore you.

it all depends on solvent and extraction method.

if you are running butane in a blow through, compact evenly and use a narrow tube, say one inch.

if using iso or ethanol, do freeze to give yourself more time to get thorough penetration.

each process and solvent you use will give different results; how it looks, flows, smells and tastes. heck, changing humidity alters outcome.
What about pounding the shit out of the plant, like they do in morocco? Then cleaning up your kief + plant, with your solvent based extraction technique? I do like the taste of Moroccan hash.

i have not produced an oil that has the true hand rubbed flavor. for that you will need a good grade bubble.

lol

how long until somebody figures out a way to inject oil directly into their brain stem?

inter-venous is right around the corner.

Last edited: