What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Goat skins and dry sift curing/aging, a few questions

F

Fermented

I wonder what happens to the goat skins after the aged dry sifted resin ("kif") is removed?

I guess they re-use them for the next crop? Are these skins simply dried then used or are they tanned first? I guess there's a special way to prepare the skins for dry sifted resin curing?. I'd also guess that the season for skin stuffing, burying and curing kif would be the same time that goats are eaten in large numbers. Are the skins scraped down then used fresh?

Of all the information, books, forums, discussions about traditional hash making in the Islamic parts of the world, I don't remember these points being mentioned or asked about, but I'm sure there's more than a few Icmag members who know...please share your experiences from observing this first hand.

Wouldn't it be funny to have shoes, belt and coat, vest etc made from these skins and then try to fly into an Australian airport while wearing them. For those who don't know, Aussie airport Customs are very, very thorough and dogs are walked around almost all coming passengers and their hand carried luggage.