What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Light distance

Lucky 7

So . . . I've begun using my new Advanced platinum 300. Seedlings are 3 days old, veg switch turned on and hanging 30 inches above. Is this about right? And what will be the distance as they grow?
I appreciate all experienced input! Thanks

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I don't know that light, but pretty much all the half decent manufacturers have recommendations. Checking the pdf manual for that light they recommend
1. Seedlings and Clones - 36” - 40” - VEG switch only
2. Early Vegetative Growth - 24” - VEG switch only
3. Late Vegetative Growth - 24” - VEG and BLOOM switches together
4. Flowering - 18” - VEG and BLOOM switches together

https://platinumgrowlights.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Platinum-LED-Grow-Light-Guide.pdf is a direct link to the manual

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I don't know that light, but pretty much all the half decent manufacturers have recommendations. Checking the pdf manual for that light they recommend
1. Seedlings and Clones - 36” - 40” - VEG switch only
2. Early Vegetative Growth - 24” - VEG switch only
3. Late Vegetative Growth - 24” - VEG and BLOOM switches together
4. Flowering - 18” - VEG and BLOOM switches together

https://platinumgrowlights.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Platinum-LED-Grow-Light-Guide.pdf is a direct link to the manual
...in addition. Many use distance and there is nothing wrong with that. Some believe we should adjust our lights to what the plant sees.

• cuttings/seedlings 60-90 umol
  • clones 100-200 umol
  • veg 300-425 umol
  • flower 700-1200 umol

Lucky 7

Thanks AgentPothead, and Switcher, exactly what I was looking for. I knew I'd seen it but Google was really conflicted about it . . . I had them at 30 inches, but they leaned in and stretched. Lowered them a bit . . . I'm used to 400wt gavita and shop lights for veg. This is comparable. Looks cool, well see! Surprised that this thing, with fans, puts out 0 heat. I was expecting 10 degree raise.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
That's great advice Switcher, but most people don't have a PAR meter handy, so the manufacturer recommendations are a good place to start off. And no problem Lucky! The next paragraph is also wicked good advice. All about the balance.

You may find that your individual strain of plant responds better to either less or more hanging height.
There is no absolute rule and you’ll need to find what works best for your exact strain and environment.
The main concept is to ensure a happy, healthy plant while giving the highest intensity possible and yet
covering the grow area efficiently. The closer you hang your light, the higher the intensity but the smaller
your coverage area. The further you hang your light, the larger the coverage area but less intensity. You
will need to find the balance that works best for your situation.

Latest posts

Latest posts