What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Has anyone experimented with pH of water and bubble hash?

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
If I remember correctly Frenchie Canoli has an episode where he recommends using RO water for his bubble hash. Can't remember if it was specifically for the PH or also to eliminate minerals.

my buddy owns a water shop and has a crazy ro system and all the water we've ever used for anything cannabis related is 0.000 ppm and always bang on 7.0 ph. we have pulled some gorgeous extracts with it but I think it has more to do with a clean water source to GROW healthy fat trichs that easily break off. ofcourse clean water for washing is important aswell. but the hash will only yield well if the plant was grown properly. hopefully more people chime in on this. could be something to it!

OakyJoe

OGJoe / Wiener und kein Allemann
Veteran
https://www.reddit.com/r/CannabisExtracts/comments/3uj2zp/what_water_should_i_use_when_making_bubble_hash/

Do not use distilled at first! It will draw more chlorophyll than ever. Use normal, ice saturated, cold as possible water. The pre freeze, and minimal agitation, will get you to where chilled, distilled water can be used to wash the glands off through the sieve they are collected on. If plant matter us ground to the same micron size as resin glands, any screen size will be defeated....
=
How do you figure that distilled water collects more chlorophyll than any other water? Also, I never talked about grinding my material, so I'm confused about what you mean when you say, "if plant matter is ground".
=
Chlorophyll is soluble in water, and the further left you go on u/thepainteddoor's chart:

RO > Distilled > RO > tap > spring.

The less dissolved solids there are within the water. 0 TDS water will aggressively take on water solubles, compared to already saturated water. I'm not a chemist and my understanding is basic at best, but I hope this helps explain what u/SonicXtraX was trying to illustrate.

A note on the 'grinding' - as the ice makes the plant material brittle, it's easy to over-agitate and inherently break/grind material to a finer consistency than initially intended.