What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gravity fed dwc from reservoir. Would appreciate insight!

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello all, I havent been here in a while. Missed this place! Anyway, i am setting up a dwc setup, the way I always do but this time i want to set a float valve on each tray. Basically, I want to take a 105 gallon reservoir with a valve in the bottom and I want to split it off to each tray set to a float valve. When i need to change out the water i can simply turn off the valve. When i need to refill theoretically i would be able to just turn the valve back open and walk away. The other beauty would be that as long as the ro is on and filling the reservoir, and the valve in the bottom is open, i shouldnt ever have to top off. Has anyone done this type of thing before? Could there be too much pressure that the valve could leak? What about the durability of these valves and their probability of leaking from opening and closing them once a week?. Anyone with experience sending water to a float valve via gravity would be a real help right now. My main concern is leaks and having too much pressure to each float valve. All info is welcome!! Thanks in advance!!

Cannasylum

That is a very effective way to maintain water levels, issues could come if your refill Rez gets too warm or obviously if you have a leak.

I never suggest anyone does anything to make it so they don't have to be in the room. I only suggest it to people that will be in the room anyway giving them more time to inspect and play with the plants.

Ph issues would be the only concern other then that

Last edited:

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Agreed, im not necessarily trying to be lazy. Precise, rather, so i can be more effective. This project is double the size of my last one so any work i can automate is nice. Im mainly concerned w leaks but ph fluctuation not so much. I deal w that often when i top off anyway. Im gonna try it!

MrMMJ

Typical float valves are meant to operate at normal household pressure of about 60 psi. You'll never come close to that with gravity, so it's not an issue. To comment on the shut-off valve would require knowing what type you intend to use. I've had good luck with pvc ball valves. I prefer using a larger size valve, then reducing down after it, because they're easier to hold and turn. If the valve is "free-floating" from the tank (not secured to anything other than its connection to the tank) this is important, as it makes it easy to hold the valve body as the handle is turned so that torque isn't put on the tank connection seal, causing future leaks. Best thing is to plumb out to where the valve can be secured well. A gravity tank/valve/float setup should be relatively easy, and as long as things are done to reduce any stress wherever there are connections, should be leak-free. Just don't expect it to refill anything too quickly. Most float valves are a little restrictive even under full pressure, at gravity they're fairly slow, but get the job done. Good luck !

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I went w a quick connect 3/8 to a ball valve(in case i want to turn all off at once) then to a 3 way split, then each of those on their own ball valves(in case i need to turn off one specific tray). Then each of those to a float. Everything is 3/8 i was told since im splitting 3 ways this reduces the pressure to each float.

You're in the realms of low pressure! 10 metres or about 30 ft height from the outlet of the float valve to the top of the water level in the reservoir is 1 bar or 14 psi at the float valve.

Peace
BL

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Beautiful. Low pressure = float valves being able to do their job no?

A float operated valve is a float operated valve.

They're fitted with a orifice that is suitable for either high or low pressure.

You need to select the one most suitable for your application.

Peace
BL

Latest posts

Latest posts