What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Closed loop ets sap not shatter :(

Wyatt Terp

I have a few questions that a friend that runs a mip had about their new closed loop system (ExtractionTek). His familiarity is with open blasting and so is mine but that's not something he can or wants to do. Check the scenario. Running really good trim to make pho. The system is fairly plug and play once you understand the process and the different modes. Essentially, you run propane through the extraction column which ends up in the collection vessel, after that, you switch modes and recover the propane. The problem he is having is the machine spits out a muffin. It essentially gets winterized in the collection chamber. He's having a really hard time producing stable shatter and it mostly comes out looking very good but a sappy sticks to everything consistency. I think he is running it in the oven at 25-29 hg and approx 95 degrees for 24-36 hrs. I am not sure what the disconnect is here.... Maybe you know??

jewcebox

never seen shattery PHO

but also never made any, and not sure how many people here deal with propane

Heusinomics

I kno your frustration.
A close friend of mine has been running an ETS machine for several years now and had considerable trouble getting to stable shatter.

Iv had the chance to help him out several days n get down his method for waxes.
He has sence added a co2 cooling jacket for the extraction coloum to reduce the pickup of waxes..
So I don't belive there is any de-waxing in the collection vessel.

Anyway, he does PHO for older trim or anything that's not super fire.
I usually request it too bc it takes weeks for him to fit my gear into his schedule.
The PHO always comes out bright yellow and pasty/fluffy.
If he runs my stuff w butane it's ALWAYS SAPPY I can't figure why. N I don't mind it.
He usually does blended gasses for fresh terpy wax w best yealds.
And pure Nbutane for the best most stable shatter. Again I think that process uses a chilled coloum to reduce pickup of wax. But it's not totally "de waxed" and does auto butter if agitated or whipped.
Some strains jst shatter up better too.

I wish u all the best, we all need more good extractors!

Big ups respect and happy growing!

Dab Strudel

terps man terps. your using good stuff, its nothing to be mad about. purge it longer and kill the properties a little to get it to harden, but thats janko in my booklet. your wax content is down because your not using outdoor and your terp content is up because youve got the skills to pay the bills. Try growing a strain thats not too terpy and THC content is not as high and see if that solves your problem. Its my theory that guys getting good hard shatter is using inferior material (i.e not grown to the fullest potential or stunted a few times in flower) or using strains that have low terpene profile. waxes may not be a factor, or atleast a big factor. I also do not know what the stability of a high count of THC-a oil is so I dont have the best advice. I only know I work with growers that are getting good testing numbers and the strains are very pungent. The only ok material ive used got turned into wax and all the lesser quality material that all turned to be sap was chalked up to being decarbed dank material... maybe this year people will have the ability to pay attention to stuff like that, maybe notice that a 16% tested THC flower with low terps hardens like a 16 year old while the 20% THC with a high terp profile is as sappy as a chic flick.

Wyatt Terp

Haha. ^^ thanks for the info guys. It might be that. We actually have been told that. It's straight fuego and the grow has placed in cc numerous times as a small fish. So that could be the case. All you can do is let it get as dry as possible huh???

Keep the opinions coming. So so appreciated :) bless

snake11

never seen shattery PHO

but also never made any, and not sure how many people here deal with propane

It's around. It is definetly more challenging to make a pho shatter but with the right material and the right process it can be done.

snake11

Its my theory that guys getting good hard shatter is using inferior material (i.e not grown to the fullest potential or stunted a few times in flower) or using strains that have low terpene profile. waxes may not be a factor, or atleast a big factor.

I've seen pho shatter made from 24% fire. Good herb does not always mean high terp count and hight terp count does not mean that its good weed. Remember terpenes are the plants defense system and when it is in distress it tends to release more. A high terpene percentage will make it almost impossible to shatter.

Wyatt Terp

I've seen pho shatter made from 24% fire. Good herb does not always mean high terp count and hight terp count does not mean that its good weed. Remember terpenes are the plants defense system and when it is in distress it tends to release more. A high terpene percentage will make it almost impossible to shatter.

So can you remove those terps? My thing is even being purged at 90-95 degrees it's like straight syrup. That's the best way to decribe it. I personally don't give a f other than the ease factor of it.

I have found it easier to make shatter with propane rather than butane, the propane recovers quicker and achieving the cotton candy consistency is easier to do than butane in my experience. Once cotton candy consistency is reached then crushing it up into a dust then spreading to a thinned out pile and melted down seems to always give me something stable. Now butane is a harder thing to achieve, the closer to a cotton candy consistency you can pull it the better chance you have at getting that stiffer pull n snap to a shatter consistency. I know some say anything terpy won't shatter or high in THC but I've made a Sour Diesel that tested at 89%THC and had terps like a broke down tail pipe (total diesel taste) and it was window pane glass...very stable and see thru.

I think that you just need to get more tane out of your material, try pulling a harder initial vac before harvesting the oil to pull as much tane out as you can, then follow up with multiple flips while in the oven stage, this should help dry out the slab for you. I like to leave in the ovens for no less than 2 days but its better after 3, I start oven temps at 85 then slowly creep up the temps until the puddle starts to slow boil and the bubbles start to form and slowly pop, to hot and I find it just turns into a sap or goo....to hot from the start can do this too IME

Latest posts

Latest posts