What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Absinthe

420mike

The stuff in the stores is not the real deal. You have to either purchase it in Europe or make it yourself for the psychoactibe kick.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
picture.php

Oh My Dog. Don't get me started on Absinthe. It is fascinating.
Although, I do not use Sugar (as in the picture) or Flame, unless I am
wooing a likely Wench.

In fact, I rarely drink anything. Cannabis and Hash do it for me.
But when I do (usually like once every 4 months or so) it's
Absinthe or Jagermeister.

picture.php

It's good to purchase it in Europe, yes.. Oh the story I could tell coming thru Customs on my return with one small bottle and one HUGE one of the same variety from a store in Amsterdam.. A Swiss Absinthe. Clear. Like it should be. Absolutely Delicious and ethereal. Green Fairy, or Czech Absinthe is not as good IMO.

PM Me if you are interested in more info on the Store I mention....

SOURDIESEL1

i once had a chance to go to mexico and bought a bottle. i just took shots of it but didnt use a spoon and sugar cube. not sure if it was the real deal but it was the only bottle of for 60 bucks and got me drunk so fast and taste like black licorice. i would not buy a bottle here in california because i know its fake the real absinthe in stores are fake and cant sell them legally because of the wormwood in it or somthing like that.

D

DryNobBob

thats the shit Im talkin bout. Frosty good!

View Image

Oh My Dog. Don't get me started on Absinthe. It is fascinating.
Although, I do not use Sugar (as in the picture) or Flame, unless I am
wooing a likely Wench.

In fact, I rarely drink anything. Cannabis and Hash do it for me.
But when I do (usually like once every 4 months or so) it's
Absinthe or Jagermeister.

View Image

It's good to purchase it in Europe, yes.. Oh the story I could tell coming thru Customs on my return with one small bottle and one HUGE one of the same variety from a store in Amsterdam.. A Swiss Absinthe. Clear. Like it should be. Absolutely Delicious and ethereal. Green Fairy, or Czech Absinthe is not as good IMO.

PM Me if you are interested in more info on the Store I mention....

420mike

i once had a chance to go to mexico and bought a bottle. i just took shots of it but didnt use a spoon and sugar cube. not sure if it was the real deal but it was the only bottle of for 60 bucks and got me drunk so fast and taste like black licorice. i would not buy a bottle here in california because i know its fake the real absinthe in stores are fake and cant sell them legally because of the wormwood in it or somthing like that.

The stuff I used to make tasted like black licorice and got me drunk really fast leaving everything with a wierd psychadelic huw around it. The sugar cube ritual is to make the taste more bearable.

D

DryNobBob

I believe I'd rather buy a bottle from Europe or get a friend to help ship or deliver than drink some swill made in Oregon, LMFAO. If it ain't moonshine, drink it yourself, I don't need to get poisoned by a self proclaimed brewmaster, lol, Frosty!

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I'm an absinth fan, I could say, but I just enjoy it once in a while, not more than a shot every month, or so. (25-30 ml)
Now, from what I've heard, they sell only absinthe with less than 40 mg/l of toujone in Prague. I don't like the 10 mg ones that are full of artificial flavouring and colourants, I always get the premium ones that are really made with dried herbs and have the pale yellow natural colour. The best I could get about 1 year ago was 38 mg / L at about 200 usd per aprox 400 ml.
Effects are seem before you get drunk, if the dose is small. 20-25 ml of 38mg/L absinthe is a good dose for an nice evening with the fairy. When taking bigger doses you can even get some mild hallucinations.
I usually do an absinthe bhoema cocktail, pouring the absinthe over sugar cubes, lighting them on fire to melt the sugar, then drop them in the glass with the absinthe and mix with a special absinthe spoon. Then, you pour a cool sweet drink over it and you savour it. (I like to use forest fruits tea.)
Don't over use it, it's a toxin.

Later/edit: I just checked the bottle now (I'm drinking an absinthe bhoema cocktail.. :D) and it's 35 mg / L, which seems to be the maximum allowed by the EU.

Maximum thujone levels in the EU are:
0.5 mg/kg in food not prepared with sage and non alcoholic beverages prepared with Artemisia species.
10 mg/kg in alcoholic beverages not prepared with Artemisia species.
25 mg/kg in food prepared with sage.
35 mg/kg in alcoholic beverages prepared with Artemisia species.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thujone

Last edited:

RitualDelFuego

I have made my own absinthe and it turns out excellent.

if you want to make good absinthe you will have to have proper equipment to redistill the macerated herbs. True absinthe of this type comes out of the still pure and clear like vodka and can be bottled as such in the swiss traditional fashion, or can be colored green with a mixture of other herbs before bottling.

my absinthe always turns out at 170proof and tastes very strongly of the anise/fennel/licorice. I prefer to keep it clear and uncolored because the louche effect is more pronounced this way during the ritual.

finally-- to make great cannAbsinthe i mix each drink individually, adding to the louche ritual a healthy dose of hash tincture or even green dragon to the mix.

for people who prefer the Czech method of adding sugar, the tincture can be dripped onto the sugar cube during the louche...

prost!