What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OLDEST LANDRACES?

Storm Shadow

Veteran
My Iranians display skinny and fat leaves...tall and short....oldest cannabis genes on this forum by farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....some of your theories are way off

GoatCheese

Veteran
My Iranians display skinny and fat leaves...tall and short....oldest cannabis genes on this forum by farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....some of your theories are way off

So your Iranian is a true LANDRACE for a fact?
..or is it a human assisted cultivar/feral line that came from somewhere else with humans or atleast partly, so a landrace hybrid maybe. If you had it since 1970's or what ever, it doesn't really tell much. When i talk about landraces i'm talking about lines that are quite abit older than line from 1970's.

Not every seed line from Afghanistan or Pakistan is a true landrace line thou they are sold as such today. Many Tom Hill's Broad Leaf lines originate from seeds someone found in hashish, ay, so these are traditional hash cultivars, not even collected from wild plants, so these are not pure landrace lines, thou people many times call them landraces.
Paki, Afghan and Indian genetics have been grown in Morocco for decades so you can't expect every farm to have pure traditional lines.

Cool that you have a Iranian line, old cultivar or true landrace, doesn't matter in the end, i'm really interested in traditional hash cultivars as well. Nice that people keep up these lines.

Can you get a sample to Phylos Galaxy? Via Sam Skunkman maybe send few seeds to Sam. Would be cool to see what's your Iranian related to.

But yea imo, many growers use the term landrace too loosely. Natural plant evolution happens for certain natural reasons, it's obvious; climate, light, elevation, soil etc.
I see that true landrace cannabis have existed longer than humans have grown it, but some regions don't have it naturally, without human assistance that is.

S

sativaking

It isn't really from human intervention. Near the north pole, a plant will need to finish quickly to continue next year. For such a short season you will see, and would reasonably expect, either shorter or slower growing plants with a shorter/earlier/faster flowering cycle. To absorb as much light as possible leaves might be wide. Near the equator there is plenty of heat and sunlight, the plants can grow fast and tall and while the leaves aren't wide the plant fills a large space and biomass. The seasons are closer to one another temperature wise so the growth pattern can be 9 months or perennial instead of 3 or 6 months. This is excluding human intervention and other factors i.e. not to say that Colombian will be like Congolese or Thai or that only/all sativas are grown there or that Alaskan will be like NL etc. Side note about the leaves - similar principle to canopy light penetration, a bushy let's call it indica plant will block nearly 100% of the light under a few sets of leaves or 1-2' canopy. A thin leaved tall lanky plant will have closer to full sun on every branch. This isn't totally new but that's the classic dream queen, blue dream hybrid marvel plants that grow like one and produce like the other.

See this is interesting and its true the plant had to finish earlier in the north then it did in the south. Whether human involvement had something to do with it is not what im going to talk about right now. Its the clear distinction in highs. I will say this having clear trichomes will give you a relatively same high no matter what you have indica, sativa, hybrids etc.

But I think the later flowering times really bring out the plants characteristics. And there are still clear distinctions between the plants that do leave some unanswered questions.

Last edited:

Dog Star

Veteran
So your Iranian is a true LANDRACE for a fact?
..or is it a human assisted cultivar/feral line that came from somewhere else with humans or atleast partly, so a landrace hybrid maybe. If you had it since 1970's or what ever, it doesn't really tell much. When i talk about landraces i'm talking about lines that are quite abit older than line from 1970's.

Not every seed line from Afghanistan or Pakistan is a true landrace line thou they are sold as such today. Many Tom Hill's Broad Leaf lines originate from seeds someone found in hashish, ay, so these are traditional hash cultivars, not even collected from wild plants, so these are not pure landrace lines, thou people many times call them landraces.
Paki, Afghan and Indian genetics have been grown in Morocco for decades so you can't expect every farm to have pure traditional lines.

Cool that you have a Iranian line, old cultivar or true landrace, doesn't matter in the end, i'm really interested in traditional hash cultivars as well. Nice that people keep up these lines.

Can you get a sample to Phylos Galaxy? Via Sam Skunkman maybe send few seeds to Sam. Would be cool to see what's your Iranian related to.

But yea imo, many growers use the term landrace too loosely. Natural plant evolution happens for certain natural reasons, it's obvious; climate, light, elevation, soil etc.
I see that true landrace cannabis have existed longer than humans have grown it, but some regions don't have it naturally, without human assistance that is.

Why they put seeds inside hashish,i never sees that praxis.. not
even in a pictures on internet??

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
My Post #23 on page 3 explains the origins of cannabis pretty well. Here is some more info that may answer some more questions:

Strains developed their distinct growth characteristics and variations in leaf size, leaf pigment, bud shape/density and cannibinoid profiles depending on geographical origin.

A group of plants native to an area breed, then their offspring breed for generations adapting more and more to the environment they live in. Each generation giving less variation to the genepool isolating traits, and making them less tolerable to environmental uncertainty.

This is also why breeders advertise some seeds "for indoor" cultivation. After many generations of breeding and living in a consistent environment, the plants become less prepared for change. Versus unadulterated landrace genetics that have endured the unpredictable outdoor weather for thousands of years and happily welcome it.

Ok. has anyone noticed the difference in plants when compared to being grown inside vs. out?
For example, the PCK plants I have indoors put out much narrower leaves compared to the outdoor plants. They look like different plants even though they are clones from the same mother.

From Royal Queen Seeds:

GENOTYPE, ENVIRONMENT, PHENOTYPE

Every living organism is the result of evolution that works by the same basic principle. The genotype or genetic code carries all the genetic information regarding growth, appearance, and all the characteristics we can later observe.

It’s crucial to understand that a genotype or genetic code is not something that is set in stone but rather defines a certain range of possibilities. It mainly depends on the environment the organism lives in what specific bits and pieces of the genotype will be activated.

The interaction between genotype and environment results in a phenotype, meaning the physical expression of certain genes the environment triggered.

genotype (G) + environment (E) + genotype and environment interactions (GE) = phenotype (P)

QUICK EXAMPLE: PURPLE STRAINS

Let’s examine a cannabis related example to get a better idea. You purchase seeds from a reputable breeder and intend to grow a purple strain.

Instead of growing all plants in your indoor grow tent, you’ll decide on moving half of your plants outdoors. Besides the fact that no plant seems to be identical to one another, you’ll notice that the plants in your outdoor garden are much richer in purple colours compared to the ones in your indoor grow tent.

Although the genotype carries the information to produce purple hues, it’s the environment, and in this particular case, the temperatures of the environment, that allow two different physical expressions (phenotypes) from seemingly the same genetic code (genotype).

if you’re aiming for maximum efficiency and consistency, your best option is to select a mother plant to take clones from. These clones copy the genotype of the mother plant 1:1 and you’ll continuously end up with the same phenotype assuming a constant environment.

Let’s say you grow one of these identical clones using a hydro set-up, and one in organic soil. This varying environment might result in different phenotypes of the same genotype.

End quote from Royal Queen Seeds

From Royalqueenseeds:

"scientists have identified three categories of trichomes found on cannabis plants:

1. Bulbous trichomes
2. Capitate sessile trichomes
3. Capitate-stalked trichomes

It’s number 3, the capitate-stalked variety, that’s of interest to weed lovers because they are the largest at 50-100µm wide and produce the oily medicinal/recreational goodies.

In nature, it is believed, that trichomes facilitate quite a few essential to survival functions of the cannabis plant. The gooey surface coating of sticky resin provides a frontline defence against fungus, insects and hungry herbivores.

Some flies and certain fungi cannot penetrate the trichome barrier, while terpenes will foul the flavour of the lettuce for four-legged furry critters.

Furthermore, trichomes may also play a key role for cannabis growing in difficult climatic conditions. A layer of resin offers wild weed protection against damaging winds from the desert sirocco to the Siberian blizzard.

Trichomes even serve as organic sun block for marijuana plants, protecting them from the effects of UV rays from the sun

I am glad you brought the fact that environment affects phenotype.

When I switched on CO2 and my new spot three strains changed so much they are almost un recognisable. Sour Diesel changed the most. Fat maple like leaves have gone super sativa skinny.

I noticed this on my blue cheese plant outdoors also, its an 80% indica.

When i first put it out it was overcast skies the first like 2 weeks and the plant grew thick fat 9 bladed leaves bigger than my head all over.

When the weather started clearing up i began defoliating and topping it. The plants new leaves are all these like hybrid leaves in between indica and sativa now. The older leaves on the bottom are still fat thick indica leaves, but all the new growth took on a different type more sativa in growth.

Sativas originate from hot and humid tropical environments near the equator and adapted to resist intense light, heat and mold.

They grow tall and stretchy, the leaves are long and thin fingered and are light green. Especially equatorial varieties which have less chlorophyll and more yellow pigments in order to protect the plant from intense light. Long internode spacing and airy buds allow optimal airflow to stay dry and cool.

Indica origin info Source: softsecrets

Afghan weed presents some of the heirloom genetics of the indica family, which traditionally come from that part of the world: Afghanistan, India, Pakistan, Nepal, etc. There is a reason that such plants are very dark green (due to their mountainous origin), with large palmate leaves: this allows them to convert as little sunlight as possible into as much growth energy as needed. Buds are dense and large, a result of tightly-spaced internodes – an evolutionary defence mechanism that enables the plant to stay warm in cold or high-altitude settings. Large, dense buds also keep the seeds warm and protected, encouraging new generations to flourish.

End Quote from softsecrets

GoatCheese

Veteran
Why they put seeds inside hashish,i never sees that praxis.. not
even in a pictures on internet??
They dry sieve resin in these regions, and there was a hole in the screen/cloth and some seeds got mixed into the resin.

From the internet

[FONT=&quot]Tom Hill - X18[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]X18 like PTK is an old indica line derived from Pakistan import that was introduced to Northern California in the early 1980's. Bred for many years by my very able friend "the chemist".

X18 is pure, never outcrossed, and breeds true for many traits.

The unique sour apple/pear/citrus smell/flavor is very strong (far from subtle) and nearly fixed in the line.
70-80% of the line is characterized by this flavor, with the occasional extreme skunky phenotype as well.

Type: Pure Indica
Flowering Indoor: 8-10 weeks
Harvestin Outdoor: Mid October
Yield: Average[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]-[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Tom Hill - Pine Tar Kush

Aka: PTK

Pine Tar Kush is an old indica line derived from Pakistan import that was introduced to Northern California in the early 1980's.

[/FONT]

PDX Dopesmoker

Deep in the interior mountains of New Guinea there are still tribes of people who have never made contact with the outside world. Maybe they've got their own weed strains.

therevverend

Veteran
oldest cannabis genes on this forum by farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Any proof? You've been talking about this stuff for years but I've never seen anyone else growing it or talking about it. No testing or independent verification. How do you know it's older then Thai or Afghani or anything else? If it's so special and unique and wonderful why are you the only one talking about it?

Of course you'll get pissy and say what do I know ect. I don't know shit but why do I have to assume you have some special knowledge? If you're going to make these kind of claims you need evidence otherwise it's just your word. And we know how much someone's word goes for on the internet.

Bardo Eagle

To me Storm Shadow's Iranian Hashplants are insane beautiful genetics,consistently awesome,check the thread..also for my geographic fetish.and maybe some of the oldest high thc cultivars,hempy sativa that you can found in siberia not count :tiphat:

GoatCheese

Veteran
iranian semi autos?
Yea, some Lebanese and Moroccan hashplants also semi-autoflower, they say, prolly Turks also. I have also grown Baglung Nepalis and some of these will also start semi-blooming under 18/6 veg light cycle.
I think people call it "semi" autoflowering cause, thou the plants start developing flowers in veg light cycle, the blooming is not normal; they don't make as big flowers as proper autoflowering plants do.

-
-

I took a little look what kind of photos you can find of Iranian cannabis, and atleast today the populations seem to be all over the place; some populations are Deep Chunk-looking Broad Leaves, some look like Hindu Kush afghanis, while some look more like ACE Seeds new Lebanese sativa line (..which to me looks like something from pakistan/N India). I'm sure there's many Afghan and Pakistani genetic populations in Iran, and i'd imagine also the genetics they grow in Turkey and Lebanon.

Apparently Iran was a trafficking route for Afghan/paki opium, and after larger crack downs on opium hashish trafficking grew larger. Opium and cannabis cultivation also grew in Iran at the time and i imagine also new genetics also moved into Iran from the more traditional hash making areas. Only speculation.

Anyway..
I'd say today it is very difficult to claim which is the real deal Iranian genetics without DNA testing, cause there seems to be many different looking populations in the country.

W

Water-

During the British rule over India they imported most of their hash from the Tashkent area.

so what we think of as afghani or pakistani may have arrived there more recently than we think.

Latest posts

Latest posts