What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Honduras sativa

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Cactus Squatter,yeah, i have seen a few sativa strains doing that when they are close to reach their sexual maturity, and it can be confusing.
Did she already show clearly female preflowers on the rest of the plant ?

How was your harvest madb ?

Cactus Squatter

Hi Cactus Squatter,yeah, i have seen a few sativa strains doing that when they are close to reach their sexual maturity, and it can be confusing.
Did she already show clearly female preflowers on the rest of the plant ?

Yup, clear female preflowers without a single sign of a male flower and then the next node will grow the additional branch instead of a preflower. I figure she just wants to be super bushy at this point.

I just started another Honduras to replace a casualty of my overexcited dog. 😂 She apparently decided a Golden Tiger was a morning salad.

MrFancyPlants

Greetings friends,

It's been a while since my last post. Life got busy, my day job picked up, and keeping up with the hobby has been a struggle.

I had two parallel projects: one was to grow out some sin semilla clones of my Honduran mother (Mexican-leaning pheno) from a previous test run; the second was to run an open pollination of the rest of the pack, from seed. Both runs were also meant to test a new soil recipe I'd put together.

Unfortunately, I made several mistakes with both of these projects. The biggest of all was serious underfeeding in early flower. It is also possible that the plants got burned by a poorly timed and repeated bokashi leachate application around weeks 4-5. The end result was most plants beginning to turn yellow in only week 5 or so.

Nevertheless, despite the issues, the sinsemilla tent rewarded me with 11 oz of dried flowers (plus some trim) under a 200W LED. There were 4 clones total, 2 per 20 gallon tub.

Honduras - Mex - Late Flower

Honduras - Mex - Late Flower

Honduras -  Mex - Late Flower

It was much harder to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat on the open pollination project. While the biggest problem was, again, either underfeeding or incorrect feeding in early flower, some of the "failures" also point to a lack of planning on my end.
  • When you so much as breathe on a male, it sheds pollen. Even with an exhaust filter, one would need an airlock to prevent it from escaping when you enter/exit the tent. So, be ready to pick seeds out of any other flowering females in the vicinity. This may be somewhat addressed by setting up exhaust filter on the seed room, and intake filters on other rooms. Lesson learned for the future.
  • Once a female is *fully* pollinated, it *mostly* stops reflowering. So, when all plants are grown together, early-flowering males end up pollinating *all* females. Two issues stem from this: later-flowering males are at a disadvantage, while later-flowering females never develop proper, dense flower clusters, and suffer from much reduced seed yield.
  • I managed to collect and store some pollen from each individual male by cutting a branch and letting it shed onto a piece of foil over a couple of days. I can be reasonably certain that *most* of the pollen collected was from that male, but pollen contamination makes this less than 100%.
  • For each individual seed, you know the mother, but not the father. So, I can't compare males directly by growing out Fem A x Male A, Fem A x Male B, etc. side by side.
In the end, I managed to get a decent number of seeds (about 1k each) from the two Mexican-leaning females, but neither of the two later-flowering females produced enough mature seeds before I pulled the plug and re-vegged them.

I now have clones of all 4 females, the selected beach-and-sunscreen smelling male, as well as pollen from the other males. As time permits, I will run a more controlled pollination (perhaps only of a few branches) of the otherwise seedless side-by-side comparison of the 4 females.

Props to MexicanSun, madb, and Cactus Squatter for their beautiful plants! FWIW Cactus Squatter I also had one of the females show odd tertiary branching, only to turn intersex. How did yours turn out?

Peace to all!

Cactus Squatter

MrFancyPlants my Honduras is currently still vegging outdoors becoming a monster. She/shim is over 8ft tall if I release the tie downs and still growing. Showing female preflowers only still so I’m hoping it stays a solid “Her” and doesn’t start demanding I address it as “Ma’am”.

MrFancyPlants

MrFancyPlants my Honduras is currently still vegging outdoors becoming a monster. She/shim is over 8ft tall if I release the tie downs and still growing. Showing female preflowers only still so I’m hoping it stays a solid “Her” and doesn’t start demanding I address it as “Ma’am”.

Oh, how I wish I could also grow naturally under the Sun...:plant grow:

But The Man won't let me. I suppose I can at least take some solace in being able to flip to flower at my own convenience.

The "bushy" plant with tertiary branching right at the main nodes was initially my favorite. It looked quite distinct from the other two main types into early flower, and had really elegant leaves with narrow fingers and noticeable double serrations. Glad to hear yours is a stable female so far. Would love to see more pics as she starts to flower!

Cactus Squatter

Oh, how I wish I could also grow naturally under the Sun...:plant grow:

But The Man won't let me. I suppose I can at least take some solace in being able to flip to flower at my own convenience.

The "bushy" plant with tertiary branching right at the main nodes was initially my favorite. It looked quite distinct from the other two main types into early flower, and had really elegant leaves with narrow fingers and noticeable double serrations. Glad to hear yours is a stable female so far. Would love to see more pics as she starts to flower!

Once she kicks off I’ll post some pics for sure.

MrFancyPlants

Thank you JudahsSceptre for the kind words.

Inspired by all the pictures of beautiful outdoor plants posted in this thread, I decided to open a guerilla front in my campaign of civil disobedience against prohibition, and put one of my backup Honduran clones outside. She went from a small square nursery container indoors into well-amended and spiked soil (TLO style), without any hardening off. That was almost two weeks ago, and she is now at almost a meter in height.

IMG_20210805_080021.jpg
IMG_20210805_080028.jpg
IMG_20210805_080144.jpg

I live at roughly 40N in humid subtropical climate. The biggest issue is that summer weather is very streaky. In June and July, entire weeks of scorching sun, 95F/35C, and very high humidity - but no rain whatsoever - are common. Later in the summer and into early fall, it sometimes rains for days on end, easily leading to fungal issues.

My patch is in a remote, secluded area of a large, heavily wooded park. There are no natural sources of water nearby, and while I can haul water to my patch by the gallon when it's especially hot, I would rather not risk unwanted attention. Deer are numerous. I see and hear them scurrying through the thicket every time I visit the patch. Due to the concealed nature of the grow, I cannot put up any deer-proof enclosure around the plant, so they are probably the most dangerous pest she will face.

My goal is to simply study how she does in our climate without too much care. I don't have very high expectations, although there are some reasons for mild optimism, such as the Honduran's resistance to both heat and botrytis. If she survives into late October with an appreciable amount of clean flower to evaluate, I will consider the experiment a great success.

Peace!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi MrFancyPlants :)

Really happy to hear the pure Honduras seed repro was a success despite you are not satisfied with the feeding during the grows.

You are correct, once a female is fully seeded in very early flowering, it stops a lot her production of new fertile flowers, meaning the early males pollinate and contribute to the offspring much more than the late flowering ones in same cycle. So to make an open pollination it's a good idea to place the males separate in another area, collect pollen and apply it in the moment and to the plants you wish.

In a 'perfect world' you would use only one male per reproduction in order to be 100 % sure of the source of the genetics. You can be 99 % sure about the source of the pollen when you only collect fresh pollen coming from recently open pollen sacs of a given male, and you label and store the pollen accordingly. If you pollinate with only one type of pollen at the same time and to only certain properly labeled parts of the female/s and with enough days difference then i think you can be quite sure of the dad of each seed, not 100 %, but growing enough big populations of each line will shed light about the best combination of parental plants and what males produce better offspring.

Nice to see you brought a clone outdoors to guerrilla ;) She looks super happy. I have the feeling she will finish well there.

It's also interesting to test all the different females outdoors together, and try to see whether you can learn something new about the parental plants you are keeping, since these type of tropical sativa landraces express themselves better outdoors. The males do look lovely :yes: Keep up the great job!

Greetings friends,

It's been a while since my last post. Life got busy, my day job picked up, and keeping up with the hobby has been a struggle.

I had two parallel projects: one was to grow out some sin semilla clones of my Honduran mother (Mexican-leaning pheno) from a previous test run; the second was to run an open pollination of the rest of the pack, from seed. Both runs were also meant to test a new soil recipe I'd put together.

Unfortunately, I made several mistakes with both of these projects. The biggest of all was serious underfeeding in early flower. It is also possible that the plants got burned by a poorly timed and repeated bokashi leachate application around weeks 4-5. The end result was most plants beginning to turn yellow in only week 5 or so.

Nevertheless, despite the issues, the sinsemilla tent rewarded me with 11 oz of dried flowers (plus some trim) under a 200W LED. There were 4 clones total, 2 per 20 gallon tub.

It was much harder to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat on the open pollination project. While the biggest problem was, again, either underfeeding or incorrect feeding in early flower, some of the "failures" also point to a lack of planning on my end.
  • When you so much as breathe on a male, it sheds pollen. Even with an exhaust filter, one would need an airlock to prevent it from escaping when you enter/exit the tent. So, be ready to pick seeds out of any other flowering females in the vicinity. This may be somewhat addressed by setting up exhaust filter on the seed room, and intake filters on other rooms. Lesson learned for the future.
  • Once a female is *fully* pollinated, it *mostly* stops reflowering. So, when all plants are grown together, early-flowering males end up pollinating *all* females. Two issues stem from this: later-flowering males are at a disadvantage, while later-flowering females never develop proper, dense flower clusters, and suffer from much reduced seed yield.
  • I managed to collect and store some pollen from each individual male by cutting a branch and letting it shed onto a piece of foil over a couple of days. I can be reasonably certain that *most* of the pollen collected was from that male, but pollen contamination makes this less than 100%.
  • For each individual seed, you know the mother, but not the father. So, I can't compare males directly by growing out Fem A x Male A, Fem A x Male B, etc. side by side.
In the end, I managed to get a decent number of seeds (about 1k each) from the two Mexican-leaning females, but neither of the two later-flowering females produced enough mature seeds before I pulled the plug and re-vegged them.

I now have clones of all 4 females, the selected beach-and-sunscreen smelling male, as well as pollen from the other males. As time permits, I will run a more controlled pollination (perhaps only of a few branches) of the otherwise seedless side-by-side comparison of the 4 females.

Peace to all!

MrFancyPlants

Hola dubi - thank you for your kindness! - and greetings to the rest of the fine folks growing this wonderful plant!

Really happy to hear the pure Honduras seed repro was a success despite you are not satisfied with the feeding during the grows.

I think the hardest part has been getting N just right just before and during the stretch. I am currently flowering my first female from second-generation seed. She is the offspring of my original Mex/long-flowering mom and an unknown male. I changed up my style for this one, using TLO layers, spikes, and balanced N/P guano top-dresses in early flower. She is also in a much smaller container, a 5-gallon fabric pot. I think I went a little overboard in the opposite direction this time (too much N from bat guano), but hey, she's still green about 6 weeks into flower!

IMG_20210813_212946.jpg
IMG_20210813_212958.jpg

On the other hand, I have all four of my original females flowering in the same tent, for a more controlled pollination using the pollen I'd collected and stored in the refrigerator from the previous run. I followed the suggestion you expressed in your Potcast interview, and kept them in 1-gallon pots until 2 weeks into flower, to keep the size down. These are about 3 weeks into flowering, and a week post-transplant into their final pots:

IMG 20180404 204200[1]
IMG_20210813_213026.jpg
IMG_20210813_213017.jpg

The first one is probably Mexican-leaning, and looks a bit more like my original mother. The other two have very different flower structure at this stage of development. I really like the looks and the growth habit of the third one - she has a uniform, robust structure - while the second one grows more vine-like and "shaggy". Within a week or so, I think they will be ready for selective branch pollination.

Nice to see you brought a clone outdoors to guerrilla ;) She looks super happy. I have the feeling she will finish well there.

Well, it just so happens that she was discovered! It seems that some kids came upon my patch. I found a party balloon nearby, and the plant was half-pulled out of the ground, slumped over, but still rooted enough to survive. I bet one of the group was older/more experienced, and could see that she was obviously not yet ready to smoke. Either way, I can no longer afford to show up there until maybe much later in the season. Just goes to show that humans are actually the most dangerous pest in outdoor grows ;)

Peace and bountiful harvests to all!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I'm sorry to hear the outdoor Honduras was not unnoticed by bad souls MrFancyPlants :( You are right, bad people is the worst cannabis plague.

I really like the flowering structure and overall health of your new generation plant, the feeding is very well dialed in with her.
We will be able to identify better the traits of the plants you want to pollinate once they are more advanced into flowering,

Hope you are having a great summer time :)

FranksDank

Hey everybody! This is my first time posting on icmag. I did not know much about icmag until recently. I have been starting to purchase seeds of landrace varieties from ACE through an online retailer. I am interested in breeding and this is where I am starting with Honduras. I appreciate the wealth of information that exists on here from those of you who helped procure these strains and keep them alive. I intend to collect landraces & start on the long road of trying to create my own unique haze varietals. I am documenting this on growdiaries & won't make much further effort to plug it as I do not know if it's okay on icmag.

Attachments

• photo2069142.jpg
    photo2069142.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 44

Subu

Hey everybody! This is my first time posting on icmag. I did not know much about icmag until recently. I have been starting to purchase seeds of landrace varieties from ACE through an online retailer. I am interested in breeding and this is where I am starting with Honduras. I appreciate the wealth of information that exists on here from those of you who helped procure these strains and keep them alive. I intend to collect landraces & start on the long road of trying to create my own unique haze varietals. I am documenting this on growdiaries & won't make much further effort to plug it as I do not know if it's okay on icmag.

Welcome! There is a thread for ace crosses here which may interest you: https://www.icmag.com/forum/icmag-vendor-forums/ace-seeds/302346-post-your-ace-x-s

Tangwena

Veteran

Post away brother the above mentioned thread of Ace crosses is THE place to post and you will get many interested people I'm sure.

MrFancyPlants

Welcome FranksDank! Hope you have a bigger tent!

Here's one of my 4 females, H10, about 5 weeks into flowering. I think she is currently my favorite. Very vigorous, impressively large and branchy plant, with lots of secondary branches all the way to the top of each cola. I have a feeling this might be a more Colombian-leaning phenotype.

IMG_20210830_204601.jpg

Here is a closeup from today (6 weeks). Even with stem pinching and bending, she is close to 7 feet tall.

IMG_20210907_215415.jpg

On the other hand, this is probably the more Mexican-leaning female, H6. Much shorter, with tighter flower clusters, for a more "conventional" appearance. I am really looking forward to this one as well. She is the farthest along, and is the smelliest and most resinous of the bunch so far.

IMG_20210907_002159.jpg

Cheers!

FranksDank

Thank you so much everybody I will move over to crosses, I was here because Honduras is the regular variety I am working with & the crosses haven't happened yet. I have a space for some males & I do not have a bigger tent... MrFancyPants how long did you veg them out for?

MrFancyPlants

MrFancyPants how long did you veg them out for?

Maybe just under 2ft, but they were sexually mature clones. From seed, I would allow for at least 6 feet of vertical space and 2-4 square feet per mature plant, and flip at 8-12 inches. YMMV. In a smaller space, scrog with a slightly longer veg makes the most sense, but then you don't have as many plants to make selections later in flower.