What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Potting up tall plants

borntoinsulate

Hi All
I'm about to do a final pot up into a 5 gallon container. My plants are tall and the 1st branch is about 10" up. My question is how much of the 10" main stem can I bury?
Thank
Will

St. Phatty

It can be very convenient to have the buddage higher up, if you're dealing with any kind of critter that likes to eat Cannabis.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I’ve found with cannabis you can pretty much plant as deep as you want. When planting outdoors I usually plant pretty deep down the stem (similar to what I do with tomatoes). This promotes a strong root system for both absorption and support. I guess in your situation it depends on how deep the pots are, you don’t want to crowd the roots on the bottom end.

MrBungle

Normally I agree with potting up the stem a lil bit.... but only with younger plants....

Once the plant gets older and starts to develop "bark" or thicker outer skin, you are asking for potential trouble with rot around the base