What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi x PCK

lemonade

Veteran
Thanks Dubi. That means a lot coming from you! (y):)

I don't know what the heck a Tropicana wanna be is though hehehe!🤷‍♂️

StickyBandit

I have a noob question
If I grow the regular F1 hybrid seeds and then get seeds from them, will those seeds, being F2's, have the same vigor of the F1's?
I may also use the pollen on something else in the future, not sure yet, or will it weaken the strain?
I have just moved the 10 x regular MxPCKs into the 11/13 room with the 2x fem KA5H's
Cheers
20220702_173347.jpg

goingrey

I have a noob question
If I grow the regular F1 hybrid seeds and then get seeds from them, will those seeds, being F2's, have the same vigor of the F1's?
I may also use the pollen on something else in the future, not sure yet, or will it weaken the strain?
I have just moved the 10 x regular MxPCKs into the 11/13 room with the 2x fem KA5H's
Cheers
View attachment 18728953
Hybrid vigor is the result of two genetically distant parents coming together and will be the highest in the F1 generation. Inbreeding with small populations will result in inbreeding depression which is the exact opposite, but the loss in vigor in just one generation probably won't be too drastic. The biggest difference in the F2 generation will be that while the F1 generation is typically quite uniform being somewhere in the middle of both parents, the F2 generation will show more variability with expressions similar to both grandparents and everything in between. Not sure what you mean with an outcross weakening the strain, no in the sense of vigor being lost (well, depending on the parents), yes in the sense of possibly losing some qualities from the original strain...

StickyBandit

Hybrid vigor is the result of two genetically distant parents coming together and will be the highest in the F1 generation. Inbreeding with small populations will result in inbreeding depression which is the exact opposite, but the loss in vigor in just one generation probably won't be too drastic. The biggest difference in the F2 generation will be that while the F1 generation is typically quite uniform being somewhere in the middle of both parents, the F2 generation will show more variability with expressions similar to both grandparents and everything in between. Not sure what you mean with an outcross weakening the strain, no in the sense of vigor being lost (well, depending on the parents), yes in the sense of possibly losing some qualities from the original strain...
Last question, So if I was to cross an F1 hybrid MxPCK male with my very old fem cloned golfball, which is unknown origin, would that be a hybrid with vigor also or something else?
Maybe I would be better off choosing a male from an IBL?
Sorry to go off topic

Last edited:

lemonade

Veteran
I have a noob question
Cheers
View attachment 18728953
Looking sweet! What kinda pots are those?

StickyBandit

Looking sweet! What kinda pots are those?
They're just el cheapo plastic pots, about 12L to 14L with some old used organic home blended potting mix, if that's what you're asking? Feeding a complete hydroponic food about ec 0.8 pH 5.8
The 2 big plants at the back are KA5Haze in 20L DWC and are actually younger than the small plants :p

goingrey

Last question, So if I was to cross an F1 hybrid MxPCK male with my very old fem cloned golfball, which is unknown origin, would that be a hybrid with vigor also or something else?
Maybe I would be better off choosing a male from an IBL?
Sorry to go off topic
It would be a polyhybrid, ~75% indica. I would imagine it to be plenty vigorous but maybe less uniform than if using an IBL male. That can be good or bad depending on if you want uniformly growing seeds or a keeper pheno hunt.

StickyBandit

Of the 10 x regular MxPCKs it looks like 7 are males and 3 females
I'll do a pollen harvest from about 3 of the males, dry and freeze some, fertilize a branch of one of the females and chop the rest :)
Would it be a good idea to take clones from one of the three females to pollenate with the resulting male from any seeds I might make or is there little benefit?

goingrey

Of the 10 x regular MxPCKs it looks like 7 are males and 3 females
I'll do a pollen harvest from about 3 of the males, dry and freeze some, fertilize a branch of one of the females and chop the rest :)
Would it be a good idea to take clones from one of the three females to pollenate with the resulting male from any seeds I might make or is there little benefit?
Do you mean crossing an F2 Malawi x PCK back to it's F1 mother? Personally I wouldn't resort to such extreme inbreeding unless I had a specific reason to do so.

Not the best sausage to taco ratio but let's hope those three girls are so good they make up for it!

rolandomota

Veteran
I dont think tropicanna cookies is related to pck I would like more proof you can't smoke or smell a picture. The look alone isn't enough proof for me how many Tropicana Cookies plants have you smoked dubi?
You are saying it's really pck and their lying about lineage?
I have not really tried any of these strains but Orange and cinnamon sounds a lot different than black berry bubble gum that's really the only things I can use to compare
I'm not even sure what tropicanna Cookies lineage is I forget
I have seen plenty of pictures of both I guess they kind of do look alike but to say it's related you need a bit of proof

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
yes i have tried so called Tropicanna @rolandomota I have bred dozens of PCK hybrids to be able to recognize PCK in a hybrid, i can recognize a Purple PCK hybrid from a mile. And PCK line can produce a huge amount of different terpene profiles depending on your selection, not only blackberry chewing gum as our Purple PCK 2002 mother does, but also citric orangey and cinnamon terps are pretty frequent in Purple PCK hybrids. I have lost count of the Purple PCK hybrids being renamed in the last years.

@StickyBandit @goingrey replied properly and accurately to your questions, thanks for that! :)

goingrey

yes i have tried so called Tropicanna @rolandomota I have bred dozens of PCK hybrids to be able to recognize PCK in a hybrid, i can recognize a Purple PCK hybrid from a mile. And PCK line can produce a huge amount of different terpene profiles depending on your selection, not only blackberry chewing gum as our Purple PCK 2002 mother does, but also citric orangey and cinnamon terps are pretty frequent in Purple PCK hybrids. I have lost count of the Purple PCK hybrids being renamed in the last years.

@StickyBandit @goingrey replied properly and accurately to your questions, thanks for that! :)
Seems like a strange lie to claim Mendo Purps lineage for a PCK hybrid. Of course not impossible could even be the result of a mislabeled clone or whatever.

Have you ever tried the pure Mendo Purps @dubi? It's a clone popped from 70's Afghani seeds in the 90's in Covelo (Mendocino County). Do you see similarities to PCK?

StickyBandit

How will I know which male is best to keep? or should I use them all?
I have 3 males left and 3 females to choose from for seed production.
How late do the females show color? I have 3 similar females just starting to flower and wanted to breed the reddest one (if there's any) and grow the others as virgins
I have kept 3 males of the 7 but not sure how to choose. One is taller and the stalk smells creamy. The other two are shorter and one stalk smells creamy and the other has a slight tangy smell.
Cheers
Males..
MPCKMales.jpg

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
No, i haven't tried Menod Purps @goingrey

StickyBandit it's not easy to resume how to select males. Long story short, you will need to experience first many females to know what do you like the most from the line, then look for males that resemble your favorite females for given traits or breeding goals. I would start step by step, get deeply familiarized first with the lines and plants you are working with, master their cultivation, then when you have a wider picture of the genetics and its potential then start to consider producing your own seeds from them.

Tu si que tienes duende ! @FletchF.Fletch :dance013:

StickyBandit

No, i haven't tried Menod Purps @goingrey

StickyBandit it's not easy to resume how to select males. Long story short, you will need to experience first many females to know what do you like the most from the line, then look for males that resemble your favorite females for given traits or breeding goals. I would start step by step, get deeply familiarized first with the lines and plants you are working with, master their cultivation, then when you have a wider picture of the genetics and its potential then start to consider producing your own seeds from them.

Tu si que tienes duende ! @FletchF.Fletch :dance013:
I decided to keep the tangy smelling male with the short internode spacing as I'm growing in a height restricted space, to make seed with the bushiest female. I got a tall female also but decided it's not for me although the resulting seeds might be good.
I will take clones from the 3 different females and label them, then I can pollenate one at a later date when the smoke test is complete.
I can always buy more seeds if it doesn't work out. I don't think my efforts will ever match Ace :p