What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

At My Wits' End.

tilopa

Cannot figure out what is happening here. Not a new grower. But in this situation the 2 new variables are the type of coco and 4k LED lights.

System - top-feed course coco.
Pot size - 2.5 quarts
Nutes - Jack's hydroponics
PPM/EC - 750/1.5
PH - 6.0
Water temp - 64f
Room temp - 80f
RH - 65%

I started my feeding from rooted clones with a 6 oz of nutes every 4 hours. Then I cut back to every 12 hours. Medium is moist but not drenched, and I never let it dry out.

These pics are 2 weeks in veg starting from rooted clones.

I cannot figure out what is causing this.

I forgot to mention, I got these clones from a friend, and because they were not mine and coming from an outside source, I junked them in Forbid 4F as soon as I got them. Then a week later I dunked them in Avid. Is is possible the Avid cause these leaf symptoms? My understanding it that Avid will not harm the plant usually.

Attachments

• 8559819942203138448.jpg
    8559819942203138448.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 4343657120332911281.jpg
    4343657120332911281.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 5061518358287325271.jpg
    5061518358287325271.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 19

mcattak

What is the ph runoff. Bet it is over 6.7.

Forbid always used to piss my plants off.

Your humidity is not in range.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Look at Mg. It rolls margins, giving a taco effect. Turns the tips brown, which advances to cover a third of the leaf before they just screw up and die. It can do some of the edges. The stripes. A lot of what I see.

It's easy to spray one and see if it advances from it's neighbours. Fresh growth is rarely effected (though can have grey edges) so while the fix is quite immediate you may not see it really worked till a few days growth has gone well.

Sounds like new LED lights and a need for Mg isn't unusual with LED's. It's at the core of green building, so can effect other processes making it harder to spot.

Epson salts, obviously

Edit: I have a jacks chart here. I'm not sure it it's the one you have, but this one looks like the full package, but needs about 1.5g of epson in a bucket. It has everything else. Just needs the Mg

tilopa

Look at Mg. It rolls margins, giving a taco effect. Turns the tips brown, which advances to cover a third of the leaf before they just screw up and die. It can do some of the edges. The stripes. A lot of what I see.

It's easy to spray one and see if it advances from it's neighbours. Fresh growth is rarely effected (though can have grey edges) so while the fix is quite immediate you may not see it really worked till a few days growth has gone well.

Sounds like new LED lights and a need for Mg isn't unusual with LED's. It's at the core of green building, so can effect other processes making it harder to spot.

Epson salts, obviously

Edit: I have a jacks chart here. I'm not sure it it's the one you have, but this one looks like the full package, but needs about 1.5g of epson in a bucket. It has everything else. Just needs the Mg
Yes, I add Epson salts to every feed per Jack's recipe. But, because I've been reading on the coco forums that extra Mg is often needed, I upped my Mg and Cal the last couple feedings. Not showing any noticeable positive changes.

tilopa

Have you used microscope on bad leaves looking for broad mites, which are incredibly small?

If so, Stitch's guide is the best for problems - https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=11688
funny you should mention, well, not really funny, but this is the second round I've tried with this new medium and the LED lights.

The first round I had similar but more intense issues. Long story short it was because of Russet mites. I destroyed all plants, nuked the room like 5 times, cleaned every piece of equipment. And then when I got the clones ducked in Forbid and then Avid.

Been checking the leaves with a 60x glass and a 120x scope, no bugs.

If the Russet mites survived all that I would call it quits.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
funny you should mention, well, not really funny, but this is the second round I've tried with this new medium and the LED lights.

The first round I had similar but more intense issues. Long story short it was because of Russet mites. I destroyed all plants, nuked the room like 5 times, cleaned every piece of equipment. And then when I got the clones ducked in Forbid and then Avid.

Been checking the leaves with a 60x glass and a 120x scope, no bugs.

If the Russet mites survived all that I would call it quits.

I had trash entire grow from broad mites. Was able to save GG4 strain by treating with neem oil, using Snypes method (a little less obsessive). I do not know strength, but use USB microscope, and still small. You would need to check before applying treatment, since you would kill them, but eggs are buried in leaves, so not seen, and protected. Snype was excellent, but has been banned.

He says it is nightmare to recover from them -

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=268311

B.T. Herb

edit. i missed was another thread.
:laughing:. i believed you were ... well someotherelse.

anyway i saw that veg's ratio of macros they sell is still quite low in P.

sorry, once more

tilopa

I believe now that my nute solution is too hot for coco, and maybe especially because of the pesticide stress.

I've flushed, and will start feeding at EC 1.0 and see how that goes.

B.T. Herb

It's the 5/12/26+15/0/0

I looks more like N deficiency.

hi tilopa,

have a better look, bro: they manage high N on veg, slow N on flo; less P in veg, high P on flo. that could mean something.

i still stand for a more balanced ratio between N, P and K since some strains need more N and someother less with an higher P ratio.then...tour part B it's almost calcium nitrate.

about your problem i don't really know which strain we are talking about..
can't say so much and i could be wrong when i see two different disease there. just the cut on the second photo got then a N locked. others doesn't reveal an N deficiency to me. if i'm in you,before all, i would try to understand if pot are well wet.a well rooted 2.5 quarts pot need to be always wet.
then, about the others two, i don't know what's Av but... could be.seems it was literally burnt.

good luck

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I agree that it is a magnesium issue.

However the question is why.

- PPM/EC - 750/1.5

Try 0.6 EC on top of the water's EC. The plants do look a little crispy/have too much salts.

- Nutes - Jack's hydroponics

Amazing how many people get into trouble using Jack's. It is best to get a line that is specific for coco, and even better the nutrient line from the same coco coir supplier. Canna with Canna Coco. Plagron coco nutrients for Plagron coco.

It's not necessary, however for someone starting out it takes a lot of the variables out of the equation. And start out using a quarter of the eventual nutrient solution.

B.T. Herb

I agree that it is a magnesium issue.

HI TanzaniaMagic,
i would say that a Mg lack usually starts appearing between leaf veins not from the leaf board and i' m pretty sure that more Mg will not resolve that issue.

I believe now that my nute solution is too hot for coco, and maybe especially because of the pesticide stress.
hi tilopa.
honestly,can't see any relation between pesticide stress and your hard solution.

as i said, N/P/K ratio they sell isn't suitable for my standard. nevertheless Ca seems to high to me: that could brings some problem.

then, P is know to be lacking in mobility and tend to be flushed away easier than N. IMHO, this could lock N down so... sounds really strange to me growing in coir with such an imbalance between n/p and p/k.
Medium is moist but not drenched, and I never let it dry out.
i had similar problem in the past due to a medium not properly wet.

i wish i could help you more than i did
just my two cents
good luck

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
HI TanzaniaMagic,
i would say that a Mg lack usually starts appearing between leaf veins not from the leaf board and i' m pretty sure that more Mg will not resolve that issue.
Neither do I.

What I'm saying is that for some reason, Mg is being locked out because of the high EC.

Magnesium is antagonistic to too much Calcium and Potassium. Rather than speculation about which nutrient, it is best to just flush/reduce the EC.

Latest posts

Latest posts