What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's your blood type?

St. Phatty

Covid19's primary preference is Fresh Meat that it is Vitamin D deficient.

It also has a secondary preference for one of the A blood types. I forget if it's Minus or Plus.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I have asked what my blood type is, they said they don’t usually test for it unless you need a transfusion...

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.hematology.org/newsroom...possible-link-between-blood-type-and-covid-19

Studies Offer New Evidence for Possible Link Between Blood Type and COVID-19 Susceptibility and Severity.

B+ here.

My susceptibility is on the medium to high level. I do see the future brighter after semi self-isolating and esp. STAY@HOME for the last 4-5 months, knowing a vaccine is in the future. Pre-registered for vaccine and received an email yesterday from NMDOH for personal info, underlying conditions. While vaccine roll out is continuing, it's a slow process, but PROGRESS! Yay! Imagine my email alert for vaccine will happen in mid-March or April....good timing for kicking seeding/growing.....

Last edited:

buzzmobile

Veteran
A- which is a low covid19 risk

What does the research say about the link between COVID-19 and blood type?

There's actually a fair amount of research on this topic at this point. The most recent studies were published in the journal Blood Advances, both on October 14.

The first study, conducted by Danish researchers, analyzed data from 7,422 people in Denmark who tested positive, and compared that to blood type information available for 2,204, 742 people in Denmark (those people were not tested for COVID-19). Of the people who tested positive for COVID-19, 38.4% had type O blood—that's compared to 41.7% of the entire Danish population having type O blood. Conversely, 44.4% of those who tested positive for COVID-19 had type A blood, while only 42.4% of the Danish population has that blood type. It was through these findings, that the Danish researchers suggested "that blood group O is significantly associated with reduced susceptibility to SARS-CoV-2 infection."

The second study, this time from researchers in Canada, looked at data from 95 patients who were severely ill with COVID-19. Of those, 84% had either type A or AB blood and required mechanical ventilation. By comparison, only 61% of people with type O or B blood needed the same high level of intervention. It was this data that led Canadian researchers to suggest that those with type A or AB blood were at a higher risk of greater disease severity or requiring mechanical ventilation than those with type O or B blood.

Those two studies were preceded by an earlier study, first published in the The New England Journal of Medicine in June, which looked at data from 1980 people with COVID-19 and severe disease at seven hospitals in Italy and Spain. The researchers found that people with type O blood were at a lower risk of even being infected with the virus, while people with type A had a higher risk of infection.

I read differently in the link.

BudToaster

Veteran
from a different link:

The researchers at St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto, Canada, examined the test results of 225,556 Canadians who had been tested for COVID-19 between Jan. 15 and Jun. 30

people in any blood group which is Rh-negative are also "somewhat protected" from the virus.

"An Rh- status seemed protective against SARS-CoV-2 infection," the study authors wrote. Additionally, "Rh- had a lower [adjusted relative risk] of severe COVID-19 illness or death."

i can't find the chart i saw a couple of days ago that showed the same thing. maybe it's a canadian thing - i'm not one.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Type O positive blood is given to patients more than any other blood type, which is why it’s considered the most needed blood type.

38% of the population has O positive blood, making it the most common blood type.

O positive red blood cells are not universally compatible to all types, but they are compatible to any red blood cells that are positive (A+, B+, O+, AB+).

Over 80% of the population has a positive blood type and can receive O positive blood. That’s another reason it’s in such high demand.

O positive donors who are CMV negative are known as Heroes for Babies at the Red Cross because it is the safest blood for transfusions for immune deficient newborns. Learn more about how you can be a Hero for a Baby.

In major traumas with massive blood loss, many hospitals transfuse O positive blood, even when the patient’s blood type is unknown. The risk of reaction is much lower in ongoing blood loss situations and O positive is more available than O negative. Type O positive blood is critical in trauma care.

Those with O positive blood can only receive transfusions from O positive or O negative blood types.

Type O positive blood is one of the first to run out during a shortage due to its high demand.

This information is courtesy of the Red Cross.

Smarmy snarky pain in the ass types should learn before they try to teach.

:tiphat: