What's new

LED and Male plant percentages

Lolo94

Curious if any of you have had problems getting male plants from seeds grown indoors under LED. I sprouted 12 seeds (bred outdoors in 2011) in the beginning of August and recently ended up with 12 females. This is the second time this has happened with this strain. The last time was 9/9 females. I figured the last time was an anomaly, but now I'm wondering if the growing environment is somehow affecting the male/female ratio for this particular strain.

This strain (Swazi IBL) has been grown and bred exclusively outdoors in Hawaii prior to my attempting to reproduce it indoors. The seeds were reproduced by non hermaphroditic male and female plants. Whenever I've reproduced this strain, there was always a higher ratio of females to males but never 21/21.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Perhaps the 'male' used to make the seeds in Hawaii was a strongly intersex female?

What m/f ratios have other folks growing out the seeds got ?

The light will make no difference... if there was a light that made all your plants female it would likely be pretty popular !

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The question is in the op - have you had high male counts when using LEDs. Possible answers are "yes" or "no".

I've just read it again and can't see that specific question asked.

I think both myself and GMT have both answered the query perfectly well.
You, on the other hand, are just shit-stirring.

VG

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
The question is in the op - have you had high male counts when using LEDs. Possible answers are "yes" or "no".

No for me. I've always had just a bit more females than males. Being it under cfls or hps or leds.

browntrout

Veteran
Humidity and temperature dictates the sex of seeds which have not been determined yet. Dry climate requires less pollen and subsequently less males.

Seemed generally accepted to me, I’ve experienced this plenty.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
True - the question was about high female counts under LEDs. Still it's a yes or no question...

Sorry if i broke your rules. I generally attempt to give some explanation to the answers i give and suggestions on likely cause of the problem. We both told the op that the light will not be a factor in the sex of his plants.
Still not sure what you are trying to gainfully achieve by your rather pedantic intervention in people trying to help a fellow grower.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Humidity and temperature dictates the sex of seeds which have not been determined yet. Dry climate requires less pollen and subsequently less males.

Seemed generally accepted to me, I’ve experienced this plenty.

seeds either have a y chromosome and are male, or don't have a y chromosome and are female.
Environment can influence the expression of sex, but not the actual gender of the of the plant.

VG

El Timbo

Environment can influence the expression of sex, but not the actual gender of the of the plant.

VG

Exactly... lighting is part of the environment. I just think that sometimes people are too quick to give a definite answer instead of waiting to hear other people's experiences.

GoatCheese

Veteran
True - the question was about high female counts under LEDs. Still it's a yes or no question...
Few days ago you were ranting on that CBD breeding thread that you have trouble understanding what CBD Crew state about the re-testing of their Therapy line.
Now, you keep repeating that idiotic claim that “it should be a yes or no reply”, but it’s you who seemingly can’t understand that GMT already replied “no” when he wrote “[FONT=&quot]No[/FONT][FONT=&quot] its not connected”.[/FONT]

So the problem is you, Spaniard. Maybe take a few English lessons and stop trolling these threads with this horseshit, cause it’s clearly you who has trouble understanding English.
Peace.:wave:

funkyhorse

as far as i'll see it here... it keep's the flower time of the mom maybe + 1 week
depend on pheno you take...

yes 70% girl's is true from the lot's i'll got...
THH had also around 70% girls...
only SamS last batch of OHz had 50/50 so far...
but i'll don't see the 70% in the hybrids with the haze...
there it's 50/50 as normal... depend also on enviroment...
more red light and high N gives more males...
first time i'll did this experiment i'll got 8 males from 10 THH originals...
i'll wanted males ... for my project when i'll started 3 years ago...
than it's easy to find a nice smelling male with great structure ...
thx
M.
smoker.gif

Hi guys, maybe you can help
MadMac says more red light and high N gives more males. I thought that sex was predetermined and we cannot do anything about it
I do veg with some lights that have a lot of reds called Advanced Platinum and last year I got a notoriously big amount of males, like for every 15 seeds sprouted, 10 were males and 5 females on average

I thought before reading this post from MadMac that it was my luck
Can somebody help with the science behind this?
Thank you very much for putting this thread up and have a nice day

GoatCheese

Veteran
For years there has been myths around the forums that certain light cycle during early seedling stage will somehow change the sex of the plants, or what ever, but this is just bro-science.
Sex has already been decided when the seed started developing on the female plant. The type of light fixture does not change that afterwards.

The type of light may have a part how intersex traits show up, cause some type of lights may stress the plant more than some other kind of light, but the seed already had those intersex traits in it when it started maturing in the mother plant according to the traits it received from the mother and father.
And on that point, I have noticed that the few keepers that I have, which grow few nanners in late bloom, start growing those nanners later under Cree COBs than they did under HPS light.

Koondense

Veteran
Sometimes there's more to the answer, not just yes or no. That's reductionist and won't help anyone in knowing anything more than just yes or no.

The obvious answer is no.
The details of why this is the answer are posted but some are just seeking a one word answer. I prefer essays to one word answers.

Cheers

El Timbo

Surely each person's answer will be different... the OP's answer is obviously "yes" and he's wondering if anyone else has noticed it.

Latest posts

Latest posts