What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Topdress Amounts Black Soldier Fly Larvae Frass

geneva_sativa

Have used with good results,,, but just been wondering if anyone has any inputs on topdress amounts,,, haven't found any official answers yet

Ratzilla

Veteran
I suppose it depends on how old and big the plants were.
Myself i think it's all about how much microbe life is in your medium and how hungry are they.
They can only eat so much.
I am a big believer in top dressing and use them 3-5 times during the course of a grow.
I have only used that black fly frass once with BAD results.
On babies just germinated I put a pinch of it on the bottom of the cups that i transplanted them into.
In but a day i saw little ones in distress like salt was introduced ,i could only conclude it was the frass.
I took the babies out of the cups of light warrior that had but a small pinch of insect frass on the bottoms and reintroduced them into cups of warrior without the frass and they responded quickly.
I have never tried to use the frass again.
RatZilla :tiphat::tiphat:

brendon420

hi,

these things (black solider flies) just inhabited my empty worm bins after a heat wave wiped out the wrigs. i was kind of put off until i read up on their castings and how calcium rich is apparently is.

one difference ive noticed is how they interact with the material they are breaking down. the first time i lifted the lid and saw them and was low key nervous about what i had created. they churn in their own frass, creating way more of a liquid than worm castings come out to be.

they also process material way faster than worms.

mine are located in a tier tower with a spigot at the bottom so thats how i collect what they create. diluting it, i dont get too scientific with it, maybe a cup in a 3 gallon pail.

they are also beneficial to have around for a myriad of reasons. have fun!

Limeygreen

Veteran
0.5 - 1 tablespoon in one gallon of ewc a couple inches thick. probably equals 1 tablespoon per gallon of soil. Doubt that you could burn the plants but why not make a tea instead?

geneva_sativa

Cheers, guys,,, really appreciate all the responses,,,

some good ideas, tea seems very popular, , ,

and like Ratzilla, I had a crazy experience with OnFrass product when it first came out,,, instructions on my bag said --- 1 cup per GALLON of soil ( should be per cubic foot ),,, oh my, roots were off the hook, crazy, but rest of plant looked suffering,,, contacted them and got straightened out and used later with great results

as far as topdress for BSFL frass,,, seems that sprinkling over the entire root zone seems the only clearish answer I could find from company sites

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I recently got into this subject when I found them in my compost heap. They looked revolting all wriggling around in a big mass.

So I started reading up on it and it seems there is no need to be revolted at all. They are highly beneficial. The 'flies' actually look more like black wasps, both the flies and the larvae are very hygienic.

So far as well as composting they are providing an excellent chicken feed. I also found a site that advocates them as human food, but I'm going to pass on that for now.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
They can be used as an amendment as well as used in an IPM program. I do not use them equally but rather based on those categories.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
I heard somewhere that within a few days u can't detect pathogen microorganism in a soliderfly bin. Could this antibiotic effect have negative influence on the soil life?

St. Phatty

I recently got into this subject when I found them in my compost heap. They looked revolting all wriggling around in a big mass.

So I started reading up on it and it seems there is no need to be revolted at all. They are highly beneficial. The 'flies' actually look more like black wasps, both the flies and the larvae are very hygienic.

So far as well as composting they are providing an excellent chicken feed. I also found a site that advocates them as human food, but I'm going to pass on that for now.

The one time I had millions of maggots to record the SOUND of, I missed the opportunity.

I understand the desire to clean up a revolting mess like that, but it's such a creepy sound - it's worth recording. :rtfo:

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I heard somewhere that within a few days u can't detect pathogen microorganism in a soliderfly bin. Could this antibiotic effect have negative influence on the soil life?

Afaik they work in concert with bacillus subtillus, so on the contrary BSF frass is as sought after as worm compost as a soil amendment.

Some sources say you should feed the BSF frass to your red wrigglers before using it in the garden.

Last edited:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Please tell us more about the use as ipm.

Teaspoon to tablespoon (depending on pot size) in a ring where the plant meets the soil. It was suggested to me that proximity stimulates SARS. I haven't done a side by side but I notice less problems / better expression when I maintain it as a practice.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Teaspoon to tablespoon (depending on pot size) in a ring where the plant meets the soil. It was suggested to me that proximity stimulates SARS. I haven't done a side by side but I notice less problems / better expression when I maintain it as a practice.

Okay certainly makes sense if bacillus subtilis is involved.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I had really good result using this frass in a veggie garden, I have yet to try it on cannabis.

It really is incredible how they manage to reduce volume of food source in such a short time, usually couple days. I have a burlap sack covering my bin it started disintegrating and decomposing, beautiful white mushrooms sprung up all over it.