What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spongy brown mass on top of fan leaf

ClownKiller

I have no idea what this is. Spidey Sense tells me it's not good. Its a spongy brown mass lightly attached to tops of fan leaves. I see what looks like small white eggs or something on it, and they swell and melt when you put a flame to it, then the whole thing smells pretty bad burnt, like hair or plastic does.
I've found a couple in veg and some after flower, when there are multiple instances it seems localized to a single plant out of the room.
Not even knowing what it is makes it hard to Google.
Thanks for any help to a new icmagger

Attachments

• 20160329_154312.jpg
    20160329_154312.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20160403_135257.jpg
    20160403_135257.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 4

DONAJTHEIII

Oh man bro I wish I could help I dont think ive ever heard of anything like that sounds fungal to me.

I would up your circulation and spray a fungicide asap after trimming the leaves infected. dispose of them asap and stay on top of the fungicide sprays. get on something asap though like a neem or serenade mix.

Heusinomics

Looks like a part of the ceiling...

Agreed. Sure looks lika piece of debris and not some type of fungus or pathogen. Was it actually stuc/formed to leaf?
Had you been spraying or foliar, what about the general cleanliness of the room? Could you b transferring those chunks off of somthing else in the room?

What bout the chance it's old junk/insulation blasted outa an home air duct?..
I'd still b looking for stuff other than weird fungi's or blights....

Mor info is needed. But I hope it's nothing to serious.
As mushrooms are not known to grow outa living leafs. Ha

Anyways
Big ups respect and happy growing.

ClownKiller

I thought it was just dirt or debris the first time seeing it in my veg a few crops ago. I haven't seen anything like it when cleaning/changing ventilation or in other areas. It stays on the leaf with air movement and lightly trying to brush it off, you have to 'pick' it off, but isn't growing off of it. I hadn't thought of it being a fungus, compost teas are foliared weekly with the occasional eagle20 (trying to wean us off the stuff so my grandkids don't have mushrooms growing out the bottom of their feets) I had assumed it was a pest/bug of some sort because fungus gnats are heavy and I get a lot of outside clowns. Its an old building too so even freshly scrubbed the place feels dirty. Noticing it in a different building than before is what started the thought.
Thanks for the quick replies guys! Hopefully it is just dirt

Heusinomics

Next/ 1st step.
Get out your magnifiers..
You shd hav 16x loop & 30x already.. N 60-100x are needed for some things like broad mite identification. So they are super useful if U haven't gottem.

But I'd collect multiple samples/sizes of the prob, n really inspect closely. As well as observing the spot/way there attached to the leaf serfice.
Look closely at what you've got it may reveal somthing your not considering.

Again press on and don't freek out as it seems your still finishing grows.
N best of luck getting off the E20. If you stick around the forums here you will get all the advise you need to push into the organics long term.

Big ups respect and happy growing.

Last edited:

ClownKiller

Great tips Heusinomics. Unfortunatley after poking it a bit and taking pics I set it on fire and ground it up under my shoe haha. I've got some old lady bug cups around that I'll put the next one in.

I'm more of a serf than a farmer, and E20 is still a job requirement until I can fix it with something else, but the Compost Tea Party is gaining ground thanks to immediate feedback from foliar attacks against PM. Drench feeding tea I've still got some reservations on, namely I'm not sure about it's high pH with rockwool wanting a low 5.5-6.2. I hear lemon is short-lived on the pH effect and I worry it'll rise within the cube, that and I can't imagine how many lemons it would take to drop a 50gal rez. I know most people say tea ph doesn't matter but I assume they're working with soil.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I vote a piece of brownie or hash. Either which, you could have eaten it.

You've let down science.