What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pollen in flower room

Bewarned

Had a herm plant on my flower room last round ....this round all my plants were seeded......doing a complete cleaning of my room .... walls....ceiling ....lights...everything...... now for my question. .. do I need to replace my charcoal air filters. ..will pollen pass through a charcoal filter?

TDK

Veteran
Had a herm plant on my flower room last round ....this round all my plants were seeded......doing a complete cleaning of my room .... walls....ceiling ....lights...everything...... now for my question. .. do I need to replace my charcoal air filters. ..will pollen pass through a charcoal filter?

Can you spray them with some water and dry..

I have few small boxes for breeding.

regards
:tiphat:

GrowingHigher

I agree with TDK. Spray and wipe your room and equipment and you will be fine.

A charcoal filter will not filter pollen. If its just pollen from the last run, you probably have little to worry about, but there is a possibility there is some viable pollen still in the filter. Though shouldn't this be getting sucked out of the room anyway? I wouldn't worry about it.

GrowingHigher

No I just use the filters to filter the air it is a sealed room....not for cooling the lights

Sealed as in you don't ventilate at all? Are you using CO2?

If it was recirculating through the filter there is a chance there is pollen in the filter. Probably not a big deal. If you are still worried about it you could try something like putting the filter in an oven on low for a bit. Or if its too big and the weather is right, put in a black garbage bag and place in a hot sunny spot for a day.

I wood

A sealed room without added co2 makes about as much sense as cleaning the smell in a sealed room, at least the op is consistent.
Neither of those make any sense to me though.
A sealed room without added co2, will run out of available co2 pretty quickly after the lights come on, assuming there are sufficient light and nutrients, limiting growth.
What is the benefit in cleaning the air inside the room with a charcoal filter? A small hepa style filter makes sense if you are trying to catch pollen or dust/dirt.

Last edited:

Bewarned

I have a problem with pollen in one of my room....nothing else... I am a very successful grower...I have 3 flower rooms 16'x16'x12' with 6000 watts in each gavita pro E 1000....if you really need to know I am in the middle of a subdivision and i have a family. ..i really need to scrub the air..in the rooms.. as it is I can still smell it outside of my house....I don't care how sealed your rooms are you can't eliminate the smell 100% by just sealing the room...

Granger2

Veteran
If you spend much time in your sealed room daily, you yourself are a CO2 generator. If you can meter your CO2, you can keep an eye on the levels. -granger

GrowingHigher

You should look into some ventilation or CO2 enrichment. There is no way a room is living up to its potential with no ventilation.

if you have a sealed room, there is NO WAY you can smell it outside the room, its like saying there is air getting into a vacuum chamber...

Heusinomics

That is true in theory. But not nes in practice.
Perhaps if your room was made of glass..
But most construction materials are quite porous.
Just like typical plastic bags hav pores that let the funk slip through.
So will happen w typical building construction.

If u were to build a small box outa Sheetrock fill it w cronic and calk, mud tape or seal the seams. That box wd stink up any room you put it in.

A drywall box is your grow and the room is your neighborhood. Wich now smells like a skunk sex party.

Some sort of heavy recerc filter and/or utilizing neg pressure is still needed to keep I the funk.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's my 2cent.

Stay safe y'all.
Big ups respect and happy growing.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Agree with the above. Seepage will always occur unless hermetically sealed behind glass or the like. I've built and seen a few sealed rooms that run mild negative pressure. The difference is there if you're not acclimated to the smell.

GrowingHigher

Another reason to rig up some ventilation. Keep negative pressure on any leaks or seepage so that all exhausted air is being put through a carbon filter. If you really are worried about scent from your 'sealed room' that's the way to go; unseal it.

Bewarned

Wow..... Next question I ask will not be related to my problem then maybe I will get the answer to my problem ......