What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

terpenes and their effects (extract smoke reports)

qvapor

Don't be fooled by my post count. I've been a long-time member of ICMag and learned nearly everything I know about growing from you guys. Top-notch community here, full of knowledge. (I deleted my old account/grow logs years ago in a fit of paranoia.) Now living in CA/CO, I'm a bit more relaxed.

I've recently taken an interest in liquid extracts. Now that labs are paying special attention to terpenes, we have oils that precisely replicate the terpene profiles of different strains.

With terpene profiling becoming commonplace, consumers will become better-informed about exactly what they are consuming. Yet, we have very little knowledge of how these different terpenes affect the user's experience.

The old model is: grow a strain, harvest multiple phenos with different effects. Smoke the different strains, and notice the subtle differences in experience. Try to optimize for desired phenos. The new model is: formulate an extract that has the same composition, every time. Repeatable methods, repeatable effects, consistent user experiences.

Given the 100+ different terpenes present in cannabis, there are an enormous number of ways to tweak extract formulations, all while keeping base cannabinoid content constant. Essentially, this means designer-highs. Lower costs (time) to create a new 'liquid strain.'

But how do we figure out which terpene profiles elicit particular effects? For instance, a 'strain' for relieving anxiety or depression? A 'strain' for being active or social?

I think we will need extract smoke reports, in a big way, in order to figure out the different synergies between cannabinoids and terpenes.

Thoughts? Interest?

MostlyMe

Veteran
It's an intriguing concept, but it will not be easy. For all we know it's not as simple as "one terpene, one effect", as in: the effect is not the sum of it's parts. In any case it's a statistical nightmare to link 100+ compounds to a specific effect. Some minor constituents might have a big impact.

A good way to start, I suppose, would be vaping standard doses of THC with common terpenes, then perhaps moving on to simple mixtures and adding some CBD. With that as a base, you may be able to start predicting effects from extract analyses.

Also you have to keep in mind everyones body chemistry is different so one strain liquid or not wont have the same effects on everyone. But overall this in an a plus idea.

2dawgstar

This subject has been on my mind lately. For two reason. 1 found out that cannabinoid profiles change every like 14 - 21 days or something like that. And was wondering if terpenes do the same. And the second reason is harborside is selling 4 drops of terps for $100.

Heusinomics

And the second reason is harborside is selling 4 drops of terps for $100.

^damn!

It sounds crazy. But at the Denver 420CC concentrate seminar last year, don from DNA said in no uncertain terms that terps alone can get u high as fuck.

I also know that Sam skunk (I belive) said some can b very potent to the point of being unpleasant and nauseating to an extreme.

Experimentation is super tempting to say the least. But not entirely wo risk.
I do belive it will prove well worth it. But as stated there an eturage of effects all interactin w each other and effecting us uniquely

Profound stuf that will surly change the way we use canna and extracts in the future.
Test on my friends. Together we all stand on the shoulders of giants.

Big ups respect and happy growing.

Latest posts

Latest posts