What's new

What to do with old weed?

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

I have about 2 lbs of weed ranging in age from 3 years 1 plus years old.

It is jarred but has turned brown and of course the nose has changed....does not smell like cat piss or ammonia...does not smell great either.

So, should I just toss it as I have more buds then I can use anyway at this time or process it with like an iso wash or another method?

minds_I

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I wish I could answer that, but I've wondered about the same thing myself....
Various jars of old stuff around, all vacuum sealed, yet I have plenty of new stuff to smoke...The old stuff is certainly not bad, but I doubt if I'll need to smoke it...
Hard to just throw it away tho....

WelderDan

Veteran
You should just give it to me and I will, uh, "dispose" of it for you. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Heusinomics

In situations like that I usually find someone to DONATE it to a friend or associate. Or offer for obviously reduced price.

If it's not worth your time to process- because it will not make the quality product you and your poticular ad clients want. And you can't see an obvious product stream like eatables or topicals.

It could b an incredible oppertunity to others with more time to put into its processing and put it to a valued use.

Like the native Americans taught us. Use every piece and leave no waists to trace.

Dnt stress it's a good prob to have. If u feel like it's a pain to process or don't want to do the work for b grade product. There is someone you kno who NEEDS that work/meds

Please don't throw it out
Good luck w all your projects
And oc
Big ups respect and happy growing.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Make an arthritis balm with coconut oil (or olive), beeswax, essential oil for scent. It'll still work.

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
Hello all,

It is jarred but has turned brown and of course the nose has changed....does not smell like cat piss or ammonia...does not smell great either.

So, should I just toss it as I have more buds then I can use anyway at this time or process it with like an iso wash or another method?

minds_I

I vote iso wash - warmed evap & you've got a pile of gooey fun.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
I recently had some 15 year old nevilles haze dry sift... it was freaky strong ;)

Last edited:

Roji

the thc is probably all degraded to cbn by now. You could make edibles for night time.

JamieShoes

Veteran
I'm curious to hear from the guys who think its trash.. do you have some experiences with something thats been stored this long. I'd be interested to hear about the time you kept weed for over a year and how it degraded and I'd like to hear how you stored it.

are you sharing experience here or opinions ?

Last edited:

RaggedButRight

Hello all,

minds_I

Rosin
I had 2 year old tangerine haze jarred up, about a pound. I just started squishing the hell out of it. And I am enjoying it quite a bit.
Hey gl wherever ya go :tiphat:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello all,

minds_I

If the nose and visual doesn't include mold, ostensibly what you are now missing is the mono and sesquiterpenes. The cannabinoids should still be present.

Some of the older stuff may prove to be heavy in CBN, but you don't have to mix the oldest and newest stuff together.

Certainly it would be good for topicals.

It would also be good for medibles that lose monoterpenes during decarboxylation anyway.

Depending on what you started with, it might or might not lean toward couch lock when vaporized, because of the lower THC and higher CBN. It should tast hashy, rather than aromatic.

Ostensibly the best thing to do, is try small samples of each, and answer your own questions with precise data, which will trump our best guesses.

Just as an aside, in the decade or so that I've been making concentrates, I've never made anything that "someone" wasn't really glad to get, cause its all good, just some gooder!

G.O. Joe

Veteran
There was a High Times feature one month in the early 90's I think where the crew visited The Collector and his jar collection. He had a lot of jars with labels, they took photos and it must be the most impressive museum of buds in existence anywhere. Because of the special occasion the most primo tiny jar was opened and it was hay. So they opened more jars and then decided it was a bad idea to collect buds even if you can afford to do so.

The question remains of the stability in the plant matter of terpenes and the odor molecules that represent smell other than myrcene, limonene, and pinene. Terpenes in general are not exactly stable.

This UNODC forensic (Bull Narc) article has it all except it's only room temperature and not also deep freezed, and they did not use modern genetics high test pot.

CBN and D9-THC concentration ratio as an indicator of the age of stored marijuana samples

ABSTRACT

The concentration of D9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabinol (CBN) in cannabis plant material (marijuana) of different varieties stored at room temperature (20-22 Celsius (C)) over a four-year period was determined. The percentage loss of THC was proportional to the storage time. On average, the concentration of THC in the plant material decreased by 16.6% ±7.4 of its original value after one year and 26.8% ±7.3, 34.5% ±7.6 and 41.4% ±6.5 after two, three and four years, respectively. A relationship between the concentration ratio of CBN to THC and the storage time was developed and could serve as a guide in determining the approximate age of a given marijuana sample stored at room temperature.

JamieShoes

Veteran
I'm sure those old Sadhus and Babbas don't have access to such awesome information, but here's an interesting thing which they seem to come up with over the many centuries that they've been making and smoking hash... they wont smoke anything that is not at least one year old.

Latest posts

Latest posts