What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rogue Valley MKIII

Obsidian

Veteran
What would you do with a bunch 30gal trash bags stuffed with nug trim? I'm sitting on just over 10lbs of some quality nug trim.

This is what I asked my wife last week after I showed her what's left over from this years harvest after she saw me sitting here looking at MKIII plans and pics last week. She asked what it was, and after a long long 4 day discussion she gave me the go ahead to build a complete CLS over the next few months.
I'm a bit stoked to say the least. She always surprises me like this, and it's what I love about her, plus she loves Cannabis in all forms.

I just finished ordering all the parts a few moments ago. I used Glacier, Paramount, and Affordable Distillery Equipment.
Cost so far for all parts listed by Grey Wolf...$747.00US

I've purchased a 2.5 single stage 15 micron vacuum, and I'm looking at recovery pumps right now. so expensive.

Is there a way to get around not having to use a recovery unit until one can afford this tool?

will not having a recovery pump affect the overall quality of the oils?

I will post pics and more in the coming weeks.
this is going to be fun
Looking at vac chambers, a vac oven is later.

Grey Wolf, do you recommend a sight glass for the MKIII, if so what type, and place where?

Is it possible to install a pressure gauge into the system? I see pics of them on the t, is this possible or does this change the use of the MKIII when a pressure gauge is installed?

will post more questions if I can't find an answer.

Can't wait to get going here, so tired of non eco friendly tubes.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What would you do with a bunch 30gal trash bags stuffed with nug trim? I'm sitting on just over 10lbs of some quality nug trim.

This is what I asked my wife last week after I showed her what's left over from this years harvest after she saw me sitting here looking at MKIII plans and pics last week. She asked what it was, and after a long long 4 day discussion she gave me the go ahead to build a complete CLS over the next few months.
I'm a bit stoked to say the least. She always surprises me like this, and it's what I love about her, plus she loves Cannabis in all forms.

I just finished ordering all the parts a few moments ago. I used Glacier, Paramount, and Affordable Distillery Equipment.
Cost so far for all parts listed by Grey Wolf...$747.00US

I've purchased a 2.5 single stage 15 micron vacuum, and I'm looking at recovery pumps right now. so expensive.

Is there a way to get around not having to use a recovery unit until one can afford this tool?

You can run a Mk III passively.

Unlike the Lil Terp, you can't reflood the column by simply turning it upside down, because of the long dip tube, but you can run single passes and recover with it, just like the Lil Terp.

will not having a recovery pump affect the overall quality of the oils?

You can extract quality oil passively. You will need to finish it either way in vacuum chamber or oven.

I will post pics and more in the coming weeks.
this is going to be fun
Looking at vac chambers, a vac oven is later.

Grey Wolf, do you recommend a sight glass for the MKIII, if so what type, and place where?

I recommend only sight glasses that will meet ASME and NFPA-51 piping standards for the application.

I designed the WolfWurx Mk IV and V's to use a 730 psi John Ernst sight glass in the vent line, and LJ Star Metaglas 232 psi inserts in the lids. Alas the sum of the two is about what you already have in your Mk III.

There is no question that they are handy to tell when you've flooded long enough, and when to stop vacuuming making cotton candy, but one of the
biggest joy of the Mk III, is its small size, simplicity, and budget price.

Complicating matters, there isn't much available real estate on the lid for a sight glass big enough to see much. You could find a place in the vent line for a John Ernst unit, but they are apparently so expensive in part because they are sold by weight.

I developed the process without sight glasses at either location, so they aren't a necessity. All you really need is a good compound pressure gauge, coupled with time and experience, but it takes less time and experience if you can see what is going on, rather than have to infer it.

Is it possible to install a pressure gauge into the system? I see pics of them on the t, is this possible or does this change the use of the MKIII when a pressure gauge is installed?

You will definitely need a compound pressure gauge. They attach by hose to the cross in the top of the Mk III lid. I keep mine on a hose, rather than solidly mounted to the lid, to keep it out of the water baths.
will post more questions if I can't find an answer.

Can't wait to get going here, so tired of non eco friendly tubes.

Yeah, hard to not be tempted now that there are safer, eco-friendlier alternatives, that are not only more cost effective, but can produce higher quality concentrates, by first removing the mystery oil.

Obsidian

Veteran
Gray Wolf, can you explain the reasoning for the 2 different lid designs. I see them listed at Glacier under speciality end caps with the 1/4 and the 3/8 tubes set for different depths in the 6" ss.
why is this?

I bought the 1/4 as this is what it looked like in the assembly manual.
Was this the correct lid, if not I may have time to contact them and switch.

Last edited:

A6 Grower

Veteran
The longer one is for if your using a 6x12 collection pot, the 4" one is the one you want if your running a 6x6 collection pot

Obsidian

Veteran
damn, Thanks A6, I emailed and called, left msgs to switch, since both end caps cost the same.
Hopefully they receive my msgs and respond.

A6 Grower

Veteran
If you get the long one, just take a saw and chop 2" off the dip tubes, then your golden. Although ill say i love my 6x12 way more then the 6x6. The 12" tall allows for more room for error and bubbles while recovering

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gray Wolf, can you explain the reasoning for the 2 different lid designs. I see them listed at Glacier under speciality end caps with the 1/4 and the 3/8 tubes set for different depths in the 6" ss.
why is this?

I bought the 1/4 as this is what it looked like in the assembly manual.
Was this the correct lid, if not I may have time to contact them and switch.

What A6 said.

Obsidian

Veteran
Talked with Glacier and everything is set up correctly now.
Got a condenser, oiless recovery pump, storage tank, orange gott cooler for condenser, bunch of braided hose. kit from paramount.
lots of odds n ends...
confirmation emails from Glacier, and Affordable Distillary parts are on the way...
starting next week I build the unit.

Last edited:

Obsidian

Veteran
a little info on ordering parts...

Glacier has them but they are expensive. yet their delivery is quick. I received my order from Glacier yesterday, after I placed my order on the 27th.
Being the holidays I figured next week for delivery.
Glacier get good points for early delivery...cool

Want the best deal on Stainless, go to Affordable Distillery. Their prices are the best offered in the USA atm. Delivery is normal so far, through UPS. Ireceived my delivery confirmation notice from them on back on Monday. Affordable Distillary Parts is legit, only reason I split my order up is because Affordable did not have all the parts for a complete MKIII.
Affordable s cost would be in the 500-600US price range for parts, and Glaciers price is 850US+ for just the parts to build out a MKIII

just my observations atm.

A6 Grower

Veteran
You should check out Open source steel! Cheaper then both those places you mentioned. They are also out of renton washington.

Obsidian

Veteran
I do not buy foreign as much as possible, I buy local USA sourced materials.
We avoid all Chinese made products where possible, it's a known fact they add poisons to their products, even their own babies powdered milk, and China refuses to do anytihng.
The data is out there about Chinese crap.

China's metals use different alloy mixtures that are inherently weaker than our USA standards, FACT look it up. they also intentionally create their metals to be weaker in order to sell more junk around the world, plus most have poisonous by products.

If I can I avoid Chinese made anything like the plague. my choice forever.

Last edited:

A6 Grower

Veteran
You know glacier is all from china right?? Same with the other place your posted. Sorry to say you just bought ALL china metal lol. If you didnt want that then Ironfist or ETS are ones that are USA billet made parts.

China SS is just fine man, you've been misinformed by old wise tails.

Obsidian

Veteran
so...never having worked with stainless, how soft or hard is it when tightening the fixtures?
I have a tendency to tighten things a bit more then others due to my strength, and have in the past ruined threads on pipes etc, broken valves shutting them.

How easy is it to strip the threads is what I'm wondering, even when I watch my work I still sometimes overdo it a little.

Obsidian

Veteran
well here it is...
had a few minutes to put it together a couple days ago.

delivery took forever.

pressure/vacuum test tomorrow or monday

picture.php

Obsidian

Veteran
man, sourcing the small parts for this has been a pain in the fucking ass.
still waiting on a few things, the compound gauge I received was a piece of plastic junk that was worthless in keeping correct pressure, just glad there was a immediate response to replace it, finding fittings etc
now my n-butane delivery and the stainless braided hoses have been set back a week due to weather, holiday season sucks for package delivery.

Last edited: