What's new

Mold Resistant Sativas?

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
I'm looking for landrace sativas that are mold resistant or tough overall outdoor strains.

Non photoperiod responsive that won't mold and are heavy yielders. Does anything come to mind?

sso

Veteran
well, after having been there, i really couldnt imagine the strains of vietnam (and probably cambodia and thailand too)

not being mold resistant.

there is so much humidity in the air there,that, well, have been in greater heats, it was only 30c or something like that, though full sun.

but one time i barely moved, climbed a small tree and broke off a branch that was growing into some wires. 5 minute job, though with a bit of hacking in the beginning.

well, when i got down i was spraying sweat in dime and quarter sized drops all over, i was like a frigging shower. there literally was a puddle following me around :)

the flowers of the plants i saw in vietnam were tiny though and a long ass flowering time.
very potent flowers though and even the leaves smokable (humm, even on this male i grew out, not fantastically smokable (the male) but hey, it was a male)

not very big plants i saw, 2 meter tall , though in rather small pots.
the smoke is very nice, bit racy though, see colors and shit if you smoke much, seems to be no ceiling.

i wouldnt say its for everyone that smoke :) but i liked it :) very lousy batch of seeds i brought home though, 30 seeds and only 1 male came up, hoping the rest will give me a female but im almost afraid to try the rest lol (very frigging little chance of scoring more seeds for quite awhile lol unless i put some people into danger i wouldnt want to)

sso

Veteran
but there is a sativa thread here, loads of knowledgable people on this.

probably The place to be to learn about sativas (couldnt find anything better and this really was the only spot i found that mentioned sativas in any detail really (though i probably aint the worlds greatest internet browser :))

kamyo

Veteran
I think that most landrace sativas are naturally mold resistant. Kind of comes with the territory (airy, fluffy buds). Although there aren't a ton of reports on it, Cannabiogen's Caribe is said to be insanely mold resistant. It's Jamaican x (Jamaican x NL/Haze). I would head on over to the Ace or CBG forums and have a long look; I know I have. It's like a candy store for mold resistant sativas. There are also a few Colombians from other breeders on the Bay. Take super long to finish, but look great.

From what I've read (not from experience), Malawi is susceptible to a little mold, but take that with a grain of salt.

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
I'd say african sativas are probably a little less resistant, as they comefrom climates which are a bit less humid on average.. I've grown hazes in a fairly humid fall, rained every other freaking day, and they only got moldy where they were touching the greenhouse walls (where there was no room for air to circulate).

F

Fluffy Clouds

I'd say african sativas are probably a little less resistant, as they comefrom climates which are a bit less humid on average.. I've grown hazes in a fairly humid fall, rained every other freaking day, and they only got moldy where they were touching the greenhouse walls (where there was no room for air to circulate).

i agree with this:good::good: good point...

haze is great... as well as thai, i suggest black vietnam x thai or green haze x thai from ACE... also Sam the Skunkman´s thaihazeskunk is great too...:canabis: i would say its incredibly resistant to mold, but it can have problems with mites...

edit: i didnt read that about landraces... sorry guy... yeah there are ladraces from thailand and cambodia in gypsy nirvana collection....

misterD

misterD farmhouse
Veteran
Hi,

Many himalayan landraces are very good mold resistant! (even in worst climat) For sure the "high" as nothing to do with SE asian sativa. But it's something really enjoyable too imo!

Malana cream as example of himalayan with good mold/cold resistant!

bozga

Next year I'll grow some wicked sativas @ 45N so will tell ya which one is mold resistant ;)
Mostly hazes and some haze crosses with Vietnam Black, Malawi, Tom Hill's Haze, Swazi Rooibart..........

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
I found out that not all sativas are resistant.. they can be resistant to botrytis due to structure of buds.. but that doesn't mean they are resistant to powdery mildew for example - mekong genetics, oaxacan genetics, malawis have this problem here, heard about vanuatu sativa was also very prone to pm, swazi is moldy too. most of these sativas are chopped when it is sunny windy weather and no cold, no rain. exception can be charas sativas from Himalaya.. and some parts of Hawaii, report:

"I have been cropping the cripplers for almost 30 years now. 25 of those years I have been growing in Hawaii. I lived on Maui for 17 years, but now grow on the Big Island. I have been here for 10 years now. And I have pulled off some serious cobs over the years. I have been living in the Puna district for about 7 years now. And to be honest, it’s the toughest place to pull off ripe buds because of the mold. I had never even seen mold on my plants until I got setup out here. I have had my heart broken many times due to mold, and I am at constant battle with mold. It’s a real bummer that I have had to give up many strains I grew for years. I have found that it is mostly about the strain you are growing. The best herb I have ever seen, was some that I grew out in Hawaiian Acres. A strain called the “Death”. It is almost totally immune to mold problems. And the buds are as dense and killer….so potent that even an old school fool like me would be sweating, mumbling, too stoned to accomplish much. In people with a lower tolerance, they often go into panic attack mode, some people have even gone to the ER thinking that the herb was laced. lol I figure that is why they call it the death. Although it takes about 11 weeks to finish out. Anyway, I am having to start all over again thanks to some asshole who literally robbed every thing of value on my old property, when I had to go to the mainland for a family emergency. I am currently running the “Blue Dream”, and a few other strains that turned out to be molders. So I am scrapping them and giving the Blue Dream a shot at long season. However, I lost my contact for the Death….and I am wondering (hoping is more accurate) that someone else out there has a line on the Death? I think that it is not only the best strain in Puna, but the best I have ever seen."

Montuno

...como el Son...
I'd say african sativas are probably a little less resistant, as they comefrom climates which are a bit less humid on average... I've grown hazes in a fairly humid fall, rained every other freaking day, and they only got moldy where they were touching the greenhouse walls (where there was no room for air to circulate).

Africa is very big and diverse... You forget how humid the central and western equatorial Africa is: Equatorial Guinea, Congo, etc...

harvestreaper

Veteran
I'm looking for landrace sativas that are mold resistant or tough overall outdoor strains.

Non photoperiod responsive that won't mold and are heavy yielders. Does anything come to mind?

plenty to choose from most sativas fall in that category , a few ive tested to the extreme ,,nanda devi,,kuomani,rasoli,acapulco gold ,,,,acapulco x uhkkrul and many sativa crosses,, hazes also show good resistance ,,zambia comes with good report but ive not tested myself

Montuno

...como el Son...

Hi everybody.

Are there some of the varieties
recommended in this thread that meet the highlighted requirement?
...Of those, I only have hear about something like that among some varieties from the African islands of the Indian Ocean (like some Zamal), or from the Congo (like some Congo Point Noire, I think...) Apart from the Beldia or Moroccan Kiff plant...
Do you people know more cases?

Health.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing

Most Sativa's a great when it comes to mold resistance. Even the bushy ones.

Look for African strains that grow in the mountains. Swazi is a good one.

I harvested this one in November after many hard frosts and a couple freezing night. She didn't even blink in the stifling heat and humidity around here in the summer.
picture.php

Asian strains should be great because of the high humidity.

Ace Seeds would be a good place to look. Talk to Ace Seeds - Dubi

My BL never had mold, but it's not pure.

el mani

Veteran
Hello
I grow outdoors, my area has dry and hot summers, in October the deluge usually occurs and it rains a lot for days.
I have grown many that are mentioned here.
I advise prevention and choose what you like.
If you have caterpillars, your plants will have botrytis. I use natural repellants and pheromone traps. The bacillus works when they are small but if they are already running around leaving poop, if the right conditions are given ...
other insects, snails and slugs, even birds can leave behind fungal spores.
keep your plants away from shady and humid areas, powdery mildew loves them. Roots in waterlogged soils will cause problems too ...
There is no immune mold strain ....I think.

To mention some other ... ciskey or durban

hope it helps
salu2

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
yeah ciskey, lesotho, durban, congo are more resistant, than malawi or swazi. in Thailand there is humid weather during monsoon, but plants doesn't flower in time of monsoon, they flower and are harvested when there is strong sun and no rain. it is not Amazonian or Rebuplic of Congo, where the rain is everyday. also varieties from coastal areas seem to be resistant, but when you move them to continental climate not so much, because the air contains a lot of minerals from sea, which helps with mold. it is same with wine, at Santorini island they dont use any chemical treatment for mold. while here without chemical treatment they would not harvest single grape... I can recommend bangi haze for outdoors, it was bred in northern Spain, a lot of cold and rains from Atlantic.. but in greenhouse where is worse air circulation, it doesn't work for me. I am still looking for new ones, but haze works well for me in greenhouse. amnesia core is doing great, even it has dense buds, while super lemon haze is total mold magnet. it depends.. pure haze has no problem at all. neville´s haze and bandaid haze mold badly on me in greenhouse while mexican haze stayed untouched.. we had awful season this year. instant rains and cold...

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
swazi

swazi

here is report about swazi from Puna on Hawaii(rainforest):

This particular Swazi strain made it to the Big Island thru the local traveling surfer community in the 80s. Prior to the Dutch seedbanks, the seeds mainly came from veterans, hippies and surfers.
It's interesting you mention water fragility because this Swazi strain when first planted in upper puna did very poorly in the rain. It was originally inbred in more tropical and dryer lower Puna (Kalapana area) where the weather pattern is more passing showers and breezy. The rainy and colder environment in upper puna basically weeded out the plants most suceptible to mold, mildew, and disease. The first year, most plants were lost. The seeds from the ones that made it were replanted. It was typical of growers in a new environment with a new strain to plant alot more seed than would ever be harvested and cull along the way.

also my friends, sativa experts, heirloomgrower and numide grew swazi from africa seeds in northern Spain/France and reported mold problems too.. swazi is not really resistant.. would love to try it, but I am afraid :D I conclude that when swazi variety is harvested in Swaziland, there is sunny dry weather last weeks of flowering..

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
The right terpene profile plays an important role in mold resistancy.High in limonene, pinene or geraniol (Nanda Devi).