Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Medicinal Cannabis Forum > ADD/ADHD anyone?

Thread Title Search
ADD/ADHD anyone? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2018, 04:08 AM #1
hard rain

hard rain is a splendid one to beholdhard rain is a splendid one to beholdhard rain is a splendid one to beholdhard rain is a splendid one to beholdhard rain is a splendid one to beholdhard rain is a splendid one to beholdhard rain is a splendid one to beholdhard rain is a splendid one to beholdhard rain is a splendid one to beholdhard rain is a splendid one to beholdhard rain is a splendid one to behold
ADD/ADHD anyone?

There's a few old threads on here about ADD but they are years old so I thought I'd start a new one.

I have recently been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD as an adult in my mid 50's. I had quite a disturbing visit with a psychiatrist. I am a nightly cannabis user and until 10 days ago, also drank alcohol nearly every night (about 5-6 drinks). Anyway I stupidly told the psych this info and he totally went over the top and wanted to send me to rehab? I said "no, no, no".

Anyway he said he wouldn't treat me with ADD medication unless I completely gave up cannabis and alcohol. The reason he gave me was that apparently this medication combined with cannabis can cause psychosis in a small number of people. I can't find any info on this and am wondering if he was lying? He wants me to do a urine drug test which at my age I just find the idea humiliating.

As I wanted to stop drinking anyway, I just stopped. No drama doing that at all. The thing is, I don't want to stop cannabis. I take breaks from it anyway every few months and have no issues going without. I just simply enjoy smoking in the evenings. I have an extremely stressful job. I also have back pain issues and that is one of the reasons I have started using cannabis again. Using cannabis for this has saved me from using opiates. I didn't smoke during my 30's at all, but started again at age 40.

Now, after reading about these ADD drugs, I am not sure if I want to take them anyway? I always found cannabis helped me focus and stop the head chatter.

Does anyone else have experience with this?
hard rain is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:53 AM #2
brown_thumb

brown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant future
huh??... i was watching the flight patterns of a dragonfly bouncing against the window... huh??... i was watching the texture change as the paint dries when suddenly... huh??... i mean it was... huh??... yeah that's me but i don't give a fff... huh??

Find things which interest you and focus on that/them. You know damn-well when something piques your interest you can concentrate like a mutherfucker. It's the boring shit you can't focus on. Fuck the boring shit. Focus on the interesting shit and jump forward. Don't let anyone tell you that you're limited in any way. They... do... not... know... your... intellect.
brown_thumb is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:23 PM #3
JustSumTomatoes
Senior Insomniac

JustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant future
Here's my ADD/ADHD story... When I was 7 years old my teacher told my family that I was unable to focus, be productive in school, was generally hyperactive and distracting of other students. In fairness my teacher was right because for me at the time, school was piss boring and if I had to be there I was certainly going to have a good time with it. They took me to the doctor and of course they diagnosed me with ADHD. They put me on Ritalin and I completely lost my appetite and interest in life. Switched to a different medication and within 2 weeks I started waking up in the middle of the night seeing bright lights and flashes. My family researched this and found that it was a symptom of an oncoming seizure. The doctor insisted we try more meds but my family had the sense to tell the doctor and school to fuck off. That was the end of me being medicated for ADHD.

Throughout my life I have found it very difficult to focus on things I had little interest in. Not sure if that is a disorder or a personality trait. Things I'm interested in I generally excel at. For me the risks of the medication outweighed the benefits (if there were any at all.)

Though I believe that ADHD/ADD is a real condition, I think it is over diagnosed. It's no surprise to me that many young boys who are full of energy and who want nothing other than to goof around are labeled as having a disorder that can conveniently be treated with a pill ($$$ for big pharma) that easily shuts them up and makes them behave without having to put fourth the time to discipline them. Then later on when little Johnny sits on his ass and doesn't want to go outside to play they wonder why.

Obviously the situation I speak of is different than yours. Also, I might mention that I don't think you are just imagining your condition, I just feel that I personally was misdiagnosed. Do you feel that you are unable to function unless you can take medication to correct the issue? Could the stress from your job be causing you to feel how you do? Might it be another health problem that you are not aware of?

It probably was a good idea to tell the doc about your alcohol and cannabis use just to be safe. It does seem a bit ridiculous that they want to send you to rehab and then piss test you to make sure you are not shitting them. One possibility would be that they think you may be a drug addict trying to get pills and want you to "clean up" a bit first as ridiculous as that may sound. They tested my blood when I was on medication regularly to make sure I was actually taking it. ADHD meds like Adderall are often sold on the street by people/parents of people claiming to have the disorder. I would be scared to touch it even on the slight chance it could lead to a serious mental illness.

My personal experience with cannabis is that it can make it hard for me to focus but greatly helps with my sleep disorder. Everyone reacts differently to substances. As with all drugs/alcohol/medications you have to weigh out the risks and benefits. It might not be a bad idea to get a second opinion. I would also discuss the stress you are having at work with them and the possibility of other health issues. Just my 2 cents on the situation.
JustSumTomatoes is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:07 PM #4
Douglas.Curtis
Autistic Diplomat in Training

Douglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond repute
Tell the doc you're not interested in big pharma's solution. Look for higher CBD content cannabis and look into making Canna-Caps. Work up a pill you're unable to 'feel' and take them 3 times a day. It can take a while to get the right combination and it's worth it.

Things get awesome around week 3.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:18 PM #5
WaxyTaxi
Baja Farms

WaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivor
Fuck the pills and alcohol, find the right strain and stay away from the doctors , they sit on a throne of lies.

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:53 PM #6
hard rain

hard rain is a splendid one to beholdhard rain is a splendid one to beholdhard rain is a splendid one to beholdhard rain is a splendid one to beholdhard rain is a splendid one to beholdhard rain is a splendid one to beholdhard rain is a splendid one to beholdhard rain is a splendid one to beholdhard rain is a splendid one to beholdhard rain is a splendid one to beholdhard rain is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the reply's everyone. It's given me a lot to think about.

I am very sure I do actually have ADD. Everything seems to fit.

I am feeling a lot better since giving away the alcohol. I am just smoking a bit at night. Been reading a lot and there are plenty of things I can do to make it a little easier to function like right diet, making lists, keeping things in the same place. All those boring things that I find it hard to focus on.

Brown thumb, yes I have great focus if it's something I like. You've hit the nail on the head. I need to start to look at the positives and how I can properly channel this.

JS Tomatoes, thanks for your story and perspective. I am pretty sure the doctor doesn't think I am after pills as I was there for another reason entirely and this diagnosis came as quite a shock. I also told him that I wasn't comfortable taking pills. I have a hard time sleeping. I can think of nothing worse than taking speed which is what they are offering.

Curtis, I had thought of trying a CBD variety or oil. Maybe I should give it a go. Bit of a long term solution as I have to grow my own.

I think I have decided not to take the drugs at least for now.
hard rain is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:17 PM #7
brown_thumb

brown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant future
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder link to genius

***Delete the "https://" from the web address after clicking the link, then press the Enter key.

A short list of individuals, past and present, who had/have ADD/ADHD...

Albert Einstein
Galileo
Mozart
Leonardo da Vinci
Cher
Bruce Jenner
Charles Schwab
Henry Winkler
Danny Glover
Walt Disney
John Lennon
Greg Louganis
Winston Churchill
Henry Ford
Stephen Hawkings
Jules Verne
Alexander Graham Bell
Woodrow Wilson
Hans Christian Anderson
Nelson Rockefeller
Thomas Edison
Gen. George Patton
Agatha Christie
John F. Kennedy
Whoopi Goldberg
Rodin
Thomas Thoreau
David H. Murdock
Dustin Hoffman
Pete Rose
Russell White
Jason Kidd
Russell Varian
Robin Williams
Louis Pasteur
Werner von Braun
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Robert Kennedy
Prince Charles
Gen. Westmoreland
Eddie Rickenbacker
Gregory Boyington
Harry Belafonte
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Mariel Hemingway
Steve McQueen
George C. Scott
Tom Smothers
Suzanne Somers
Lindsay Wagner
George Bernard Shaw
Joan Rivers
Beethoven
Jim Carey
Carl Lewis
Jackie Stewart
“Magic” Johnson
John Corcoran
Sylvester Stallone

Old 04-23-2018, 03:28 PM #8
Zeez

Zeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivor
ADHD is a two edged sword. On one side it may indicate to others an inability to focus, while on the other side it can be the ability to multitask. Generally ADHD people are more intelligent but learn in a slightly different way. This is shown when a teacher with ADHD teaches and the children with ADHD go way ahead and the 'normal' kids fall behind. I think that people who learn to turn it into an advantage can be very successful while the ones that go to meds can have some very mixed results.

Why at 50 did you decide to go with the sheik and possibly the meds?
Zeez is online now Quote

Old 04-23-2018, 03:39 PM #9
brown_thumb

Drink coffee and smoke or eat weed.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:45 PM #10
EasyGoing
Banned

EasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of light
Made up disease.
EasyGoing is offline Quote