Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Propagation > Sorting Through A Bunch Of Seeds In A Small Space

Thread Title Search
Sorting Through A Bunch Of Seeds In A Small Space Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2019, 06:50 AM #51
Frylock

Frylock has a brilliant futureFrylock has a brilliant futureFrylock has a brilliant futureFrylock has a brilliant futureFrylock has a brilliant futureFrylock has a brilliant futureFrylock has a brilliant futureFrylock has a brilliant futureFrylock has a brilliant futureFrylock has a brilliant futureFrylock has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellyfish View Post
Anyway, back to the topic o this thread. Anybody else have any methods for sorting through a bunch of beans?
Something i like to do, because i'm lazy and yield isn't usually that important for me, i put up to 10 seeds in one pot, let them show sex then cut the males, then re-veg the females a little in the same pot and then flower them to see if there is anything i want to clone and grow again.

Maybe it's unprofessional and obviously isn't ideal for yield but it's easy and helps me discard anything that doesn't interest me without the hassle of having many clones that will be ultimately discarded.

The only risk is if they don't re-veg or i can't take cuttings, but that's a risk i'm willing to take.... it's usually fine.
Frylock is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:27 PM #52
JustSumTomatoes
Senior Insomniac

JustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant future
Do any of you guys feel that fem seeds are inferior to regs? Would it be a negative to use a select plant that's been selfed to narrow down your search? I know many desirable plants have been found by selfing the pre-98 bubba and such.
JustSumTomatoes is offline Quote

Old 03-12-2019, 10:59 PM #53
Jammal

Jammal is just really niceJammal is just really niceJammal is just really niceJammal is just really niceJammal is just really niceJammal is just really niceJammal is just really niceJammal is just really niceJammal is just really niceJammal is just really niceJammal is just really nice
12/12 from seed, 2 gallon pots, be brutal when culling,,,the best ones are revedged after a smoke test.
Jammal is offline Quote

Old 03-12-2019, 11:15 PM #54
Jellyfish
Invertebrata Inebriata

Jellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivor
I have zero problem with feminized seeds. Some of my favorite strains, like Greenhouse Super Lemon Haze, are fem only.
Jellyfish is online now Quote

Old 03-12-2019, 11:23 PM #55
Dankwolf

Dankwolf has a brilliant futureDankwolf has a brilliant futureDankwolf has a brilliant futureDankwolf has a brilliant futureDankwolf has a brilliant futureDankwolf has a brilliant futureDankwolf has a brilliant futureDankwolf has a brilliant futureDankwolf has a brilliant futureDankwolf has a brilliant futureDankwolf has a brilliant future
Tree farm pots might be help full . its what I plan on using at some point for my rks project.

I used them years ago and worked great for space optimization.

Yes i know i cant spell for shit and my punctuation is just as bad . the plants dont seem to care nor should you.
Dankwolf is offline Quote

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:46 AM #56
GatorGumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSumTomatoes View Post
Do any of you guys feel that fem seeds are inferior to regs? Would it be a negative to use a select plant that's been selfed to narrow down your search? I know many desirable plants have been found by selfing the pre-98 bubba and such.
Used to be that female seeds tended to be less remarkable while carrying the threat of hermaphroditism. That's still the case with some breeders and strains, but it's become much less common. Some female seeds, like Ace's Golden Tiger, are supposed to be better than the regular seeds.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:15 AM #57
bushed

bushed will become famous soon enoughbushed will become famous soon enough
I used to grow 20 plants from seed in coco, small pots 1.5l pepsi bottles cut to top of label (so tall but thin). 5-7 males leaves you with 13-15 plants. Grow as a single cola. 12/12 once they put out first proper leaves. This is a good way of sorting through seeds and will keep you stocked.

Most plants will put out a few shoots to take a little cutting, the odd one wont but you can reveg if you like the plant.
bushed is offline Quote

Old 03-22-2019, 05:30 AM #58
Shmavis
Being-in-the-world

Shmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud of
How ever you go about it, I would advise against culling runts. Plenty of times I have found the runt(s) to be the winner in the end. Right now I have a plant that started as a runt but is now the tallest of four girls. And as the end of days get nearer she's distinguishing herself more and more from her sisters. But until she's smoked, who knows? She may come up short in comparison of effect... but I have a feeling that won't be the case.

Best of luck!
§467. I am sitting with a philosopher in the garden; he says again and again “I know that that’s a tree”, pointing to a tree that is near us. Someone else arrives and hears this, and I tell him: “This fellow isn’t insane. We are only doing philosophy.”

― Ludwig Wittgenstein, On Certainty
Shmavis is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:45 AM #59
JustSumTomatoes
Senior Insomniac

JustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant future
Does anyone else notice that seeds that turn out to be males often take off quicker and show more vigor than females?
JustSumTomatoes is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:20 AM #60
Frylock

Frylock has a brilliant futureFrylock has a brilliant futureFrylock has a brilliant futureFrylock has a brilliant futureFrylock has a brilliant futureFrylock has a brilliant futureFrylock has a brilliant futureFrylock has a brilliant futureFrylock has a brilliant futureFrylock has a brilliant futureFrylock has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSumTomatoes View Post
Does anyone else notice that seeds that turn out to be males often take off quicker and show more vigor than females?
Yes, i do but i still wait for balls to be sure.
My guess is that they go into stretch mode a bit sooner, maybe?
Frylock is online now Quote