What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mr. Greengenes Cherry Bomb??

cain23456

i have some cherry bommb 2 curing right now. i will put a pic up later. it's been two weeks and smell nothing like cherries, more like a lor ordor skunk. the yeild was above avg. flowered 10 weeks could have went another week. i ended up crossing 1 with rez's strawberry diesel.

KingRalph

ah the old cherry bomb. has always caught my attention since i discovered it on OG when i was doing to research to try and find the origin of the kona cherry i got from seeds from hawaii some years ago. GG's cherry bomb seemed practically identical. i thought would be perfect to cross with my kona cherry to keep the line going, as i have no males, but i could never get seed so i'll probably do it with hawaiian sativa males and try to bring the cherry back out.

cool to see you're working with it richard. keep some of it pure also, you never know what's coming from those clubs. is it very similar to the other females you have grown? do you have any pictures of that clone in flowering? also around when was it picked up from the club?

i only ask because my clone of kona cherry x nl made it out west and around a bit, to what real extent i don't know, but when i saw your pic there the leaves kind of reminded me of the plant. the pheno was very sativa and very cherry. so just curious ;)

and zamalito, awesome you've got it going also, man you sure have a couple projects going i'm dyin to see the release of :) keep up posted!

btw, either of you two that've grown GG's pure cherry bomb, does it give off an incense smell like haze when burned?

muddy, reeferman crossed it to an indica cherry from california. the result is cherry bomb II.

oh and a couple pics of my original kona cherry just for kicks. it was grown about 5 years ago. i found a good MH + HPS mix lets it shine it's natural structure a lot more.

and the sister plant that was less cherry

after a reveg, with only hps lighting. note the banana, i tried hard to stress it to make some seed.

don't mean to hijack, but i love Cherry! and GG's has always had me intrigued. peace n green thumbs folks. :joint:

muddy waters

Thanks a lot for that KingRalph... your first kona cherry pic shows some resemblance to one of the cherry malawis I have going. Very interesting.

I had read about the cb2 using the GG cherrybomb and a cherry indica... what i'm wondering now is, is that cherry indica available somewhere, or does anyone have more info on its origins?

similarly, I'd like anyone's thoughts on how common the cherry odor is in different strains of cannabis, and whether it's difficult to isolate in a breeding project.

kurlyq2g

These are Clones of Reeferman's Cherry Bomb II, three phenotypes. They were chopped at around 70-75 days

These plants were vegged for nearly eight months. Fed with Organic teas of guano, castings, and molassas....

Vegged under a four foot, 4 bulb T5 Sunleaves system, then flowered under two four bulb, 4 foot T5 sunleaves systems with (four) 42 watt CFLs on the side. (in a closet)

7 gallon pots each, first a two inch layer of silica rocks, then a half inch of hydroton pellets, then fill with dirt.

13,000 btu portable A.C.

Vaportek 4000

Cab with a four bulb 2 foot T5 sunleaves setup for mothers/ larger veg. Also with some(3) 24 watt CFLs just for shits 'n' giggles.

Ended up with about 9 jars full of herb (standard small mason jar, not the big ones) from 3 plants.

12810CB2edit.jpg

12810Cb2edit_2.jpg

12810CB2COLA.jpg

12810CB2_3.jpg

12810CB2.jpg

12810CRop.jpg

12810cb2_edit.jpg

12810cb3.jpg

12810CB5.jpg

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=57463&highlight=cherry+bomb+II

The last and smallest yielding pheno type, with the most bright red/pink (cherry looking) stems. Also the most fruity smelling, but the smell does not come through in the taste.

R

richardwilliams

cherrry

cherrry

Hi Muddy, Ralph.
The plant pictured here I have yet to bud out. As to its exact origins, I would have to see if I can get more info from the Club. Though it does remind me alot of the Greenjeans cherry bomb, I will certainly keep the greenjeans bomb genes separate too as I know that I got it straight from greenjeans. The trichome level was pretty good for a sativa and Ive always subscribed to the notion that has less to do with potency anyhow. I never kept exact track of the bud time last time out , it was something like into late October outdours then finsiing them up indoors for another 8 weeks or so. Ill post some pics next of my Greenjeans bombs from seed, though in this run there still pretty little ones. Cheers, Richard.

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so there was a newer thread about mr G's cherry bomb bu i cant find it. i know he recently donated a bunch of packs to the server fund, and i have some myself which i' itching to pop!

anyone running these yet? a link to the newer thread would also be good

cheers

VG

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
About 15 threads show Cherry Bomb in the title, but most are earlier than '06 and reference Reef-o-man rather than me, though his gear (s'posedly another 'strain' named Cherry Bomb) was crossed with mine. Here's one with some discussion, maybe worth checking;
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=27362&highlight=cherry+bomb
And a pic for VG, to keep you stoked as we say in Cali! ;)

picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looks nice Mr. G!

are those some very long leaf stems or is it just the camera angle??

would you say it was a pure sativa or do you think maui wowie had some indica in it ??

Mr. Greengenes

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, long petiols. Most CB plants are just plain big and grow aggressively. Some have shorter internodes, but are still big overall. A smaller percentage (maybe one in ten) are almost compact in an 'indica' kind of way.

My guess on the origin of the Maui Wowee that CB came from is that it was originally a pure sativa by way of Thailand and possibly crossed with an indica while in Hawaii. In the first generation, there were only two females, but some five or more males. All of CB is down from one of those females. I regret that I gave the all of the seeds of her sister to a friend who lost the line. That was back when I didn't know better. The sister was smaller, lower yielding, but with honey sweet oily resin that was quite 'Thai-ish'. Now I wish I'd kept her in the mix because, though she might have been a tad less potent, she had a sweeter more fruity smell and taste. The main CB female was also quite 'Thai-ish' and had a strong cherry lifesaver taste with a metallic finish and oily resin (the kind that creeps up the doobie and turns the paper brown). The kind of Thai weed I'm referring to is not the kind we used to get on sticks, but the very gourmet 'chocolate thai' of the early-mid seventies. Cherry Bomb still reminds me, and others who've smoked it, of that chocolate thai. Other smells and tastes sometimes associated with CB are coffee and tobacco. Due to my some times too ruthless selections, CB has got a bit more potent over the years, which may possibly mask some of the more subtle flavors and smells. I've noticed that there's a relationship between the red stems and petiols and the fruity metallic tastes, and also that those tastes are easier to detect in less potent plants.

Anyway, it's really great that CB is finally getting out in it's pure form and being grown by such conspicuously successful master growers as Verdant Green. I made the decision to spread CB as far and wide as I could back in '04 but made mistakes along the way. Now, with the ICMAG server fund I'm finally seeing my wish come true! It's a happy day for Mr. Greengenes. :)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
interesting stuff Mr G.
i hope i can do the CB some justice!. interestingly both the Deep Chunk and Herijuana (of afghan descent) that i have grown recently, have very long petioles too

WelderDan

Veteran
CB is some tasty candy. She's pretty well behaved for a predominately Sativa plant and does well indoors without much trouble (other than having to LST) Here she is crossed with C99. The CB traits were dominant, the C99 just added some bulk, cut the flowering time and kicked out a pineapple pheno in addition to CB's very Cherry pheno and a spicy, peppery pheno.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Highly recommended if you can find it!

Mr. Greengenes

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow those are amazing buds WelderDan. Not only genetics at work there. You certainly have some growchops. "Pretty well behaved for a predominantly sativa plant", is a great description of CB. I couldn't have said it better myself, in fact I probably will quote you from here on if you don't mind. I'm curious if you ever went to the F2 with that cross? Could be some good stuff in there.

The Phoenix

Risen From The Ashes
Veteran
The kind of Thai weed I'm referring to is not the kind we used to get on sticks, but the very gourmet 'chocolate thai' of the early-mid seventies. Cherry Bomb still reminds me, and others who've smoked it, of that chocolate thai. Other smells and tastes sometimes associated with CB are coffee and tobacco.

OK, you've got my attention Mr G.

How long is the flower period for these? I lost my cuttings for this type of plant many, many years ago. Flower room space is at a premium right now, so are these truly worthy to take space away from other proven winners? To find a 70's era chocolate thai quality plant is rare these days IMO.

Mr. Greengenes

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I still can't wrap my mind around the idea that 20 12 packs sold out so fast. Apparently, all went to people who don't post here on ICMAG, because I've got zero feedback which was my original motivation for donating them in the first place. Not getting a 'donor' tag doesn't bother me much, but I'd sure like to hear what happened to all those seeds. Maybe if I got more news, I'd be more motivated to donate more seeds. Of course, this ain't the only site on the internet, maybe I should be spending more time out and about.

The Pheonix; There are two cuts of CB in the hands of a few growers in SoCal right now. Both have classic red stems and petiols. One has pink pistils, the other is higher yielding and more aggressive growing. If you have to start from seeds, you'll get your own 'pheno' but CB is fairly stable for most taste, smell and high profile traits so a keeper is pretty much guaranteed. As to whether it's going to be what you're looking for, that I could never guess.

whodair

Veteran
i had a cut called Cherrybomb in NY 2008. at the very end of flower i found some seed pods near the bottom of the plant. little clusters of 5 or 6 seeds at the node where youd find presex flowers. is this a cb trait ?? never seen it before or since...

WelderDan

Veteran
Wow those are amazing buds WelderDan. Not only genetics at work there. You certainly have some growchops. "Pretty well behaved for a predominantly sativa plant", is a great description of CB. I couldn't have said it better myself, in fact I probably will quote you from here on if you don't mind. I'm curious if you ever went to the F2 with that cross? Could be some good stuff in there.

Quote away my friend, it was a pleasure to grow! And thanks for the compliment! I had intended on continuing the line, but bugger me, I got all females! So I used a C99 male that I was using for other crosses and hit the 3 most Cherry smelling ladies. I intended on going to F2 and beyond, but I got too ambitious and had too many irons in the fire. I gave away a lot of beans, and sadly lost my personal stash of beans due to poor storage. D'oh!

IMO, you've done a great job of selection over the generations. I had mostly cherry phenos in the first run (some more so than others) and one spicy, peppery pheno. All plants were very similar, some a little taller, some shorter, but not much variation. No hermies in the original run, or after crossing with C99. Like I said, well behaved.

I found (as you have also said) that the plants with the most red in the stems tended to be the most Cherry tasting. This trait also carried over to the C99 cross. So any of y'all growing it out, look out for the plants with the most red in the stems, they're the ones with that Cherry taste that reminds me of Ludens Cherry cough drops.

Latest posts

Latest posts