What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Guide to Fishsticks

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:tumbleweed:mornin campers...

so far so good with the new workshop swamp cooler...today i get to go up on the roof and swap in the blue pads for the cheap aspen pads it came with,that will take a few degrees off...and get the inline de-scaler installed....need to get some kool-aide lemon flavor since its basically citric acid...just add it to the water in the cooler and it keeps the calcium scale from building up...that and going up and oiling the bearings and the coolers should be good...

anyway...got up to 97 yesterday,stayed around 73 in the flower room during the day,got up to around 80 lights on...i think the shop cooler draws about 400w on the current setting so i think that would be about 6kwh of juice per day...works out to 70 bucks a month to run the cooler 24/7....so im guessing 600 dollars a month over the summer...

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree 84.5 is not to terribly bad ..... but it was only 80 degrees outside yesterday ..... what happens when it hits the 90's everyday ??? then i'm fucked !!!
i can't afford to be spending all this money to maintain a garden thats going to produce shit weed because of the heat stress !!!
& throwing gobs of money at my problems just isn't in the cards !!! i need a real world solution !

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you're using the a/c to cool a lung room right? is it constant draw from that room? if so maybe you need to put the fans on a timer to give the a/c a chance to cool the air off,if you're just sucking fresh air through the room constantly then the a/c will just run all the time and not cool things off much...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:tumbleweed:awesome...both hot and windy today!

got the new pads installed on the shop cooler,oiled the pillow bearings...i still wonder why they didnt just put a sealed bearing in these things,i guess because theres you know,water involved...

and somehow i need to go to wallyworld again...and i need to swap the stuff i'm keeping off the krampus and get that ready to go...

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
you're using the a/c to cool a lung room right? is it constant draw from that room? if so maybe you need to put the fans on a timer to give the a/c a chance to cool the air off,if you're just sucking fresh air through the room constantly then the a/c will just run all the time and not cool things off much...

i'm thinking its the storage room above my rooms , theres no ventilation up there & the heat is just penetrating through the ceiling . i'm thinking about going up & opening a window on each side so the air can circulate . i ran my wires for the mini through there & it was seriously hot up there . if i can cool that off a little with some fresh air blowing through ..... it will have to help cool off my rooms a little ...... i hope !!!
plus my HVAC guy is going to come recheck everything to make sure its running right . we didn't have the book yesterday to see what the high side charge should be .

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been having ac problems all month too man, my veg room portable is doin the same shit and I think it needs freon or the unit is gonna just kick the bucket

i've got a brand new Delonghi 13.5k btu unit i'll give to ya cheap !!! :biggrin:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
i'm thinking its the storage room above my rooms , theres no ventilation up there & the heat is just penetrating through the ceiling . i'm thinking about going up & opening a window on each side so the air can circulate . i ran my wires for the mini through there & it was seriously hot up there . if i can cool that off a little with some fresh air blowing through ..... it will have to help cool off my rooms a little ...... i hope !!!
plus my HVAC guy is going to come recheck everything to make sure its running right . we didn't have the book yesterday to see what the high side charge should be .

Maybe put some foam sheets down on the storage room floor to keep the heat up there. Or even some rolled insulation on the floor.

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran

The only way I have found to accurately check the charge on a mini is to pull it all out and weigh in a new charge. The charge is critical on em down to the oz.
But I bet it is the heat building from above. Put a box fan in 1 of those windows to pull the air out.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
What about a gable fan up there Dans? If smell is an issue, pretty sure they make them small enough where you could have a scrubber hooked up to it too.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
unless there's hot air coming down from the storage area than it shouldn't matter how hot it is up there since it would have to be hot enough to heat the flooring to a point where it was radiating enough heat to then heat the ceiling up and the ceiling would have to be hot to the touch for it to have any heating effect...

a/c only works in sealed rooms effectively,remember they work by recirculating the air already in a room,if you're just sucking fresh air through constantly they don't work,and in order for an a/c to cool a lung room you have to give it time recirculating the same air to cool it down....like i said,try a timer on the fans pulling air from the lung room...

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The only way I have found to accurately check the charge on a mini is to pull it all out and weigh in a new charge. The charge is critical on em down to the oz.
But I bet it is the heat building from above. Put a box fan in 1 of those windows to pull the air out.

my plan exactly Joe !!! :tiphat:

plus my guy is meeting me there in about an hour just to recheck everything .

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
unless there's hot air coming down from the storage area than it shouldn't matter how hot it is up there since it would have to be hot enough to heat the flooring to a point where it was radiating enough heat to then heat the ceiling up and the ceiling would have to be hot to the touch for it to have any heating effect...

a/c only works in sealed rooms effectively,remember they work by recirculating the air already in a room,if you're just sucking fresh air through constantly they don't work,and in order for an a/c to cool a lung room you have to give it time recirculating the same air to cool it down....like i said,try a timer on the fans pulling air from the lung room...

it is noticably hotter up near the ceiling compared to head height ! i noticed that last night sitting trimming , i couldn't reach the ceiling to touch it , but it was seriously hot compared to rest of the room .

does a mini split even recirculate the air ??? the condensor unit is outside ..... i'm cluless when it comes to this shit .

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Yeah that's about what I thought, but then Tree said he kept his flower room at 64* I think he said it was.
Nope. I said it is (currently) set to 64. That is only for the last week of flower to simulate cool fall temps.
First three weeks I keep it 83ish and I keep my veg room about the same year round.
Basically with the flower room I start out hot and humid and back it down throughout the cycle.
Oh the joy of not running perpetual in this spot. Love it.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it is noticably hotter up near the ceiling compared to head height ! i noticed that last night sitting trimming , i couldn't reach the ceiling to touch it , but it was seriously hot compared to rest of the room .

does a mini split even recirculate the air ??? the condensor unit is outside ..... i'm cluless when it comes to this shit .

well,one thing could be your filter is on the floor so its not sucking the hot air out which is going to tend to rise to the top of the room while the cold air coming from your lung room is going to sink so unless you have strong top/bottom air circulation its going to tend to form into layers of different temperature...so,maybe a box fan mounted horizontally from the ceiling pointing down towards the filter would help move the hot air out of the flower room...

and like i said about the attic heat,as long as theres no direct air leak from up there it doesn't really matter how hot it is up there,it's not helping anything,but so long as there's a reasonably sealed air space between the two areas plywood and drywall just don't transfer heat that well...but if you're still concerned about it then even a well taped layer of panda would stop any hot air movement

Stupid birds. I was watering the garden when a baby bird flew into my back. WTF I aint no damn airport.

mistook your back hair for a nest!

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Going outside...

Going outside...

I got a FREEBEE “Lemon Thia O.G.” Seeds some time ago. As I was getting my GSC seeds going, I popped them. I vegged them under 400 w/MH and they are around 2 feet tall. I put them in a 5 gallon (drilled holes) with FFOF and some perlite.

I will get someone to get it up by my spa :plant grow:

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Dan, go up there and open those windows. Thats the way you will find out. I have 2 attics here. One for each story. When my attics get hot( they can get up well over 120 degrees), the heat radiates down from the ceiling. The AC has to run constantly to keep up.
Think of it like the radiating floor heaters. You know, where the steam pipes are in the concrete floors. Yeah heat rises, but it also radiates down.
I have a small window/box fan that cost 30 bucks that has a built in thermostat. That would be great for drawing in fresh ambient air into that upper room

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got a gift pack of Zurple Punch BX(Zkittlez x Purple Punch) x Purple Punch coming in. I get curious what seeds priced @$300 produce.

Latest posts

Latest posts