What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Peak Seeds Northern Lights

H G Griffin

why he wouldn't sell through major global retailer? realgorilla seeds, 'tude, whatever.. with cash in envelope and covid complications at the moment it will take however long even if someone wanna buy seeds.

He went on record after he was approached years back by at least one European seed company. They wanted his name and his genetics for their seed bank. The whole situation was sketchy as hell and he turned them down.

Mike's made it clear that he's doing it his way, controlling his own name and genetics. It may not be convenient for everyone and he may be leaving dollars on the table, but I admire that he is doing business in the manner he chooses.

Nirrity

ok, i m not sure i'm getting what are saying.. i don't propose him to sell his business if that's what you mean. i mean karma, dynasty, lots of reputable breeders and basically everyone else sells their seeds through retailers. i don't see why Mike can not do the same in case it will become canada-only seeds shipping.

H G Griffin

ok, i m not sure i'm getting what are saying.. i don't propose him to sell his business if that's what you mean. i mean karma, dynasty, lots of reputable breeders and basically everyone else sells their seeds through retailers. i don't see why Mike can not do the same in case it will become canada-only seeds shipping.

From my previous post:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Mike's made it clear that he's doing it his way, controlling his own name and genetics. It may not be convenient for everyone and he may be leaving dollars on the table... "

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You may not see why he does it, I may not either, but the man has chosen his path, as is his right.[/FONT]

Tynehead Tom

are you aware of the extreme penalties (for canada) that have been imposed by king trudeau in his new Cannabis Act?

maybe take a gander before complaining about canadian breeders making the decision to keep things close to home. Cannabis might be legal here but the government that did that also added over 150 new criminal offenses with 14 year sentences in federal prison for many of them..... including selling or distributing seeds.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
are you aware of the extreme penalties (for canada) that have been imposed by king trudeau in his new Cannabis Act?

maybe take a gander before complaining about canadian breeders making the decision to keep things close to home. Cannabis might be legal here but the government that did that also added over 150 new criminal offenses with 14 year sentences in federal prison for many of them..... including selling or distributing seeds.

Seeds used to be legal. Now 1 seed is equal to 1 gram.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I had no idea that laws around seeds (and other things) regarding cannabis had tightened after "legalization" became active in 2018 for you snow birds. Cannabis laws seem to be heading the same direction here in the states in the method of 1 step forward, 2 steps back. I guess that would explain his shift to the clone business.

Dude's been breeding longer than I've been a stoner, much less growing. I remember back around 2005 I became interested in growing. Hadn't even smoked yet but I was curious of the plant. Had no clue where to get seeds or what they even looked like. I hit the search bar and clicked on a site that popped up along with a close buddy of mine. I didn't remember seeing the name, but the site was pretty much identical to how it is now. The instructions on the site said you could put money in an envelope and send it to him, in return you'd get your selection. We thought it was too dodgy and later got seeds from a skateboarding buddy (which that grow failed.) I actually ran into that old friend last Christmas and gifted him some of Peaks Nl that I grew.

Years later I said what the hell, and dropped some money in the envelope. Seeds came a month later. Any issues I've ever had were always corrected without question. Dude is zero hype, no fancy photos or names. Strains have never changed either so you know he knows them inside and out. Whenever I've had questions about the strain's background or breeding qualities I was always answered within 48 hours right to the point. Real humble and just keeps to himself. Could have easily sold out by now but hasn't. Gotta have respect for that. It's a real shame that he'll be gone (for abroad customers.)

WelderDan

Veteran
Peak was my first go at a seedbank after growing nothing but bagseed my entire life. I grew Blueberry and NL X Blueberry. The BB was very nute sensitive, but gave me a very BB tasting plant the very first seed I popped. To this day, the best BB I've grown, and i've grown DJ's BB a few times. The NL x BB was a Beast. More of a musky BB, but it could take the nutes and grew like a monster. I keep meaning to order more. It was a beast of a plant and it was GOOD. A keeper for sure.

icon

ICMag Donor
Veteran

has this law already taken effect? or do we still have a little window of time?

H G Griffin

Any issues I've ever had were always corrected without question. Dude is zero hype, no fancy photos or names. Strains have never changed either so you know he knows them inside and out. Whenever I've had questions about the strain's background or breeding qualities I was always answered within 48 hours right to the point. Real humble and just keeps to himself. Could have easily sold out by now but hasn't. Gotta have respect for that. It's a real shame that he'll be gone (for abroad customers.)

I've corresponded with other breeders but I've never had a back and forth give and take conversation on a range of topics over an extended period like I have with Mike James. Because of those conversations, I have great respect for him as a person as well as a businessman and a breeder of fine cannabis genetics.

It really is too bad for international customers if he is leaving that market. There's not many around like him.

icon

ICMag Donor
Veteran
well that sucks balls!! luckily i have several of his strains but wanted to get the C99 & another pack of Blueberry looks like now i'll have to start a few F2 projects with the few F1 seeds i got left in the near future so i dont lose them.

JustSumTomatoes

150 grams of fresh cannbis is easily surpassed by even a small-scale grower. The edibles part is also ridiculous, guess you better be careful not to use too much water when baking brownies. The whole seed thing is really sketchy, so if you get caught with seed and can't prove it's from a licensed producer then what? And you can only have one seed? WTF. Basicly they are trying to pave the road for big business, while stomping out the little guy or taxing him to death.

I'm tight on money at the moment but snagged a pack of Nl in case I want to preserve the line.

Tynehead Tom

The government uses 1 gram of dried flower as the scale not fresh wet flower.
for recreational purposes:
All adults in canada can possess in public, up to 30 grams of dried cannabis or it's equivalent
All adults in canada can gift another adult up to 30 grams of dried cannabis or it's equivalent

I read that to mean I can be in posession of 30 seeds at any given time, in public.
** not sure how to prove where they came from as there is no law that says seeds "must" be stored in government licensed containers.
basically leaves a big gray area there.

Licensed personal medical growers are forbidden from sharing thier cannabis as per the regulations and conditions of the license. A licensee however, can be in possession , in public, of up to 150 grams of dried marijauna or its equivalent

on another hand, any adult may be in possession , in public , with up to 4 non flowering cannabis plants and may gift up to 4 cannabis plants to another adult.
** another big grey area is formed here as there is no track and trace on cannabis plants or seeds in canada

JustSumTomatoes

Ok, yeah I didn't quite do the math there. Thanks for the references btw. So basicly if you get some seedy bud with 31 seeds in it you're in violation. Or if there's any seeds in it at all you're in illegal seed production territory? Not trying to stray off the thread topic too much, just had no idea Canadian legalization was that restrictive. I knew about the 4 plant limit which stinks, but I'd gladly be in that situation over what I'm in now not being allowed any.

H G Griffin

It is very easy to get a medical cannabis prescription in Canada and that lets a personal grower sidestep a lot of the various limits.

Amount on person, number of plants, source of seeds, are all affected by having a prescription.

I grew before legalization and wasn't very worried, but had some concerns. With a prescription, in a post-rec-legalization Canada, I have no fear of the cops. My prescription lets me grow far more weed than I can consume and even do some pollen chucking and still stay within my allowable limits.

Nirrity

so just to make it clear what kind of limitations all these restrictions impose on Mike or any other canadian breeders (visc, joti, dr.atomic, chimera, bcbd, what have you)?

does that mean Mike can only send 30 seeds per envelope abroad? no seeds at all? can not produce seeds? can produce seeds but can send them within canada only?

Hopefull Stoner

i hope he stays in budness cause yall got me worried. worry isn't good as it causes anxiety which can lead to depression.

heck still wanted a couple peak strains :cathug:

H G Griffin

so just to make it clear what kind of limitations all these restrictions impose on Mike or any other canadian breeders (visc, joti, dr.atomic, chimera, bcbd, what have you)?

does that mean Mike can only send 30 seeds per envelope abroad? no seeds at all? can not produce seeds? can produce seeds but can send them within canada only?

My assumption is that he's cautious about cross border stuff because he doesn't want to end up like Marc Emery.

Re concerns about going out of business: Peak just became a sponsor on another well known forum, so I don't think he's planning on going anywhere. He's got a sale on his site right now too, first I've ever seen from him.

Fitzera

My assumption is that he's cautious about cross border stuff because he doesn't want to end up like Marc Emery.

Re concerns about going out of business: Peak just became a sponsor on another well known forum, so I don't think he's planning on going anywhere. He's got a sale on his site right now too, first I've ever seen from him.

I also don't believe he has any plans on leaving the business anytime soon. He's working on some new crosses including a Haze as well as shipping clones across the country.

Has anyone asked him for info on this Haze he's working? I'm curious the pedigree as he's stated his Sweet Skunk x Haze cross has a shortened flowering time due to the Haze. This seems strange, except when you take into account his Sweet Skunk may actually be a nlhaze.

Latest posts

Latest posts