What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Search for Trip Weed

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Unfortunately, there are still a lot of buds that don't look ripe yet.

20240317_085524.jpg
20240318_071045.jpg

Cheers!

Maria Sanchez

Greetings Tripsters,
The good news is that I am situated in the tropics in an area I like. I'm at about 5,000 feet altitude, just below cloud level. I mean less than 100 feet below the bottoms of thunderheads that drift by daily during the wet season. It is clear and intensely sunny nearly every morning for about 6 hours, then all hell breaks loose. I mean some SERIOUS lightning and heavy rain. The lightning is so frequent and intense, I had to research about it. Guess what? As prolific as it is here, I read that Thailand is like the number one or two most lightning struck country in the world. I'm taking that as a good omen, given my choice of genetics. LOL!
...Best Vibes,
ThaiBliss
This is where you are now?
Nice.
I'm at about 1,000 ft altitude, and often just below the cloud line, haha.
I've lived in Thailand before, but probably no where near where you are now.
Now I'm somewhere slightly further north in latitude.
Wish I had the Thai 'dry season' though, as we don't have one here.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
This is where you are now?
Nice.
Hi Maria,

Glad to see you following. I didn't post much or grow at all during the last few years. Now I'm posting a crazy amount, so you couldn't miss me.
:D
Just to be clear, I'm in the western hemisphere at about 10° from the equator. I'm glad to be here because I'm having a hard enough time learning Spanish. Speaking Thai would likely be too much for me, though I'd love be be around the SE Asian genetics and Northern Thai climate.

The indigenous cannabis strain here is Talamanca, probably Panama Red. Not one of my favorites from back in the day, too stupifying. I'm lazy enough naturally. If I stumble across it, I'll certainly try it and grab some seed.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
puttng a dead toad in your tea is pushing the limit in my opinion!
:LOL::ROFLMAO:
That's why I used that example. The fact is, almost anything can be used. Pulling local weeds and soaking them in a tank of water gives plants a lot of nutrients. Just about anything carbon based can be used. I grew indoor hydroponic for 20 years and never had any nutrient problems without using commercial hydroponic mixes. It was all organic.

I forgot to mention the compost tea I used outdoors. Best fertilizer ever. I regularly achieved 16 foot tall plants at 42° north.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

"Very high UV" today. The weather has been scaring me. It drizzled for about 15 minutes the other day, with very threatening dark clouds and thunder in the distance. Today it got back to being very hot and dry which I am grateful for. I'm likely to cut in a day or three. If it was going to rain tomorrow, I'd take it down today.

My plant is so close to looking done, barely any white pistils left. It has started smelling like tobacco. The stalks are even turning yellow. Except for some stunted white pistils, it looks and smells past it's peak, but I know that El Duck and other Aussies with experience with S.E. Asian genetics emphasize letting them get fully ripe. I'm just happy it looks like these genetics do get ripe outside here, at the best time of year. I tried indoors and in a greenhouse up north, and failed in both attempts.
:giggle:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

It's time. Suddenly, it just feels right. I don't smell fresh resins anymore. The plant as a whole looks nearly dead. Stalks are getting floppy. Yes, I can find fresh pistils on some of the buds, but all the buds look nearly or fully played out. The resins don't really sparkle like they used to. Almost all of the resin glands are cloudy, and very few are clear. That resin change happened very quickly and relatively uniformly, in contrast to all the other agonizingly slowly changing signs. Ripe calxyes with seed are rapidly turning from a gorgeous golden to brown. I need those seeds. I don't want them dropping outside. I probably should have harvested the first day I noticed it stopped smelling like mint and started smelling like tobacco. The lack of fresh smelling resin is what is pushing me to harvesting the most. It does still smell minty, but only when buds are physically touched.

12 hours 9 minutes from sunrise to sunset today. I think I'll cut it tomorrow morning. I didn't think I'd get this far given the horrible start, and from the never ending flowing indoors continuing even after nine months. The pungent aroma disapeared after seven months during that run. I don't want to repeat that mistake.

20240322_110342.jpg

20240322_110448.jpg

20240322_110458.jpg

20240322_110530.jpg

20240322_110620.jpg

20240322_110638.jpg
20240322_110647.jpg

This bud is the freshest looking one. It has the most fresh pistils. It's a lower bud that gets the most shade. If all the buds looked like this, I'd wait longer.

20240322_110404.jpg
20240322_110407.jpg

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

I'm trimming bud from plant#2. The tobacco like smell has morphed into a spicy wierd almost rubbery smell. I also smell the dry woody thing. I feel it as much as smell it. It makes my lungs feel asthmatic. But the bigger changed is the mango tangerine aroma that I haven't smelled for quite a while on it.

The real reason for posting today is my joy that plant #1 is showing reveg. From a few feet away it looks to be dying. I was thinking that I cut the plant back too much. I knelt down close to yank some weeds that started growing in the pot, and I noticed a couple regrowth locations. I'm so happy about it!
:p(y):jump::bigeye::dance::dance013:

I wasn't sure this would happen because of an acquaintance who lives a little farther south very near the equator. He says his plants won't regrow there unless he uses lights. I was going to let plant #1 play out however it would. I was thinking I'd bring in plant #2 inside to regrow it because it seems to have more S.E. Asian traits, and I'm hoping that it has a high closer to what I'm looking for. Now I think I can leave it outside.

I am afraid that leaving plants outside all year will allow them to flower too early. From the three seasons I have been here, I think Februrary is the best weather of the year. It is the dryest and highest UV of the year, consistently. My future goal is to finish plants in February. The thing for me to learn is how different strains might regrow at different times from the shortest day of the year. I'll gain some info because plant #1 and plant #2 got done or very close to done about a month apart. It will be very interesting to see how long it takes plant #2 to show regrowth compared to plant #1.

Best vibes your way for your searches.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Buds are shrinking up but still wet to touch. I don't think I've ever grown a plant that expressed so many aromas. It's giving off a metalic smell now. I take this as a very good sign, but I'm walking around my house with my teeth hurting all day. My mouth is full of fillings, and I've learned to cringe from this essence.
😁

Latest posts

Latest posts