What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Feminized Seeds worth it?

Badfishy1

Thank you. Will be first to admit not knowledgeable on the process to feminize a seed and didn’t know if it somehow affected the reversal process. Thank you

G

I’m trying regular seeds again at the moment. My very first grow I listened to the snobs against fem seeds. I’m a closet grower and time and space is at a premium. So for listening to the snobs after 8 weeks of veg I got 2 males in my tent. Fuck. Lucky for me while vegging those I bought a couple packs of fem seeds.
Immediately tossed out the dudes and planted fem seeds. Turned out kind of shitty but I blame myself as a new grower. Next run of some GHS white widow turned out not to bad. Never bought regular seeds since until a couple months ago. Last run of fem seeds from Relentless turned out to be my best so far. I credit the breeder more and I just didn’t love my plants too much as they say.
Now that we have enough in the cupboard of multiple flavors for a while I decided to try some regular seeds of a strain from Dark Horse. They only do reg seeds so I figure I will take a chance and see.
I started 4 seeds, after a few weeks had to pick two to grow out and toss the other two. My only other option would have been to only veg a few weeks and have small plants. So in the last few days I discovered both plants I kept are male :cuss::cuss:oh well. Culled them and yesterday threw just two beans in water and on a paper plate today.
I’m determined to grow out at least one female of this strain but my luck has been shit in the male female odds.
I lost 8 plus weeks of growing time so there’s that.
If I had room to grow out 4 plus average size plants like say a 4X4 tent I wouldn’t care. If we were not sitting on enough other smoke to last us 6 months plus I’d have to grow a couple fem seeds. Which I have and these fem seeds are E Gluy and is ass kicking weed.
I just want to grow a particular strain though that’s not available in fem seeds.
I never understood why more breeders don’t take the time to make fem versions of their regular seeds because the demand would be through the roof. IMO.

Last edited:
I started 4 seeds, after a few weeks had to pick two to grow out and toss the other two. My only other option would have been to only veg a few weeks and have small plants. So in the last few days I discovered both plants I kept are male :cuss::cuss:oh well.
Often the biggest plants when in veg turn out to be the males, as males which are taller than the females have a reproductive advantage.

I never understood why more breeders don’t take the time to make fem versions of their regular seeds because the demand would be through the roof. IMO.
Seeds are much easier to produce from a breeding male than a reversed female. That being said, it seems like most seed companies are moving towards more feminized offerings. Also, the potential female phenotypes produced from a feminized cross will be different than the regular cross, as a different "father" is used.

G

Often the biggest plants when in veg turn out to be the males, as males which are taller than the females have a reproductive advantage.

Seeds are much easier to produce from a breeding male than a reversed female. That being said, it seems like most seed companies are moving towards more feminized offerings. Also, the potential female phenotypes produced from a feminized cross will be different than the regular cross, as a different "father" is used.
I get what you’re saying about the father and how it impacts the female strain and it seems some purists who breeds the strains doesn’t want to contaminate their strain so to speak but some feminization of a strain seems to be complimentary to the original strain. I have read on these forums posts from the guy who discovered by accident more or less original gorilla glue and has commented positively about several of the female crosses including Elmer’s.
I don’t have the experience to make a definitive stand on it.
It’s just that for us in non friendly states growing in secret choices are limited obviously.
If I’m not mistaken DH Genetics is starting to offer verified clones through sellers in legal states which would be the ideal solution for personal growers like me. Someday,,,
I get a kick out of growing female seeds and still seeing a phenotypes that reflects on parent more than the other plus how different the smoke can be from different seeds from the same pack.
But if I had my choice I’d buy clones verified as to be from a breeders particular strain. And grow something different every time.
If I had room I would actually try being a backyard pollen chucker even if I tossed a lot of what I grew.

I get a kick out of growing female seeds and still seeing a phenotypes that reflects on parent more than the other plus how different the smoke can be from different seeds from the same pack.

If I had room I would actually try being a backyard pollen chucker even if I tossed a lot of what I grew.
I only have a small setup as well and flower only two plants at a time indoors. I have made my own female seeds with STS and it is much easier than most think. Every seeds turns out to be different and I found one of my best keepers from a feminized cross of old school Jack Herer x Cookies Kush. :)