What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

good or bad Idea

got a 24hr MH going,

also have my LED light turning on for 15 mins every 45 mins so on for 15 mins, off for 45 mins, MH is non stop

been doing this for the last 5 days now,
if your wondering why, mainly because that little bit of heat the led gives out keeps my temps just over the minimum when its night, 280w led vs 600w
oil heater - works out cheaper

this isnt going to freak em out is it?

U

useless.gardens

i agree. the radiator type are fine. especially the type which are non-digital. on a timer rated for the appliance, no problem.

but what you're doing with the led. totally fine.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
got a 24hr MH going,

also have my LED light turning on for 15 mins every 45 mins so on for 15 mins, off for 45 mins, MH is non stop

been doing this for the last 5 days now,
if your wondering why, mainly because that little bit of heat the led gives out keeps my temps just over the minimum when its night, 280w led vs 600w
oil heater - works out cheaper

this isnt going to freak em out is it?

you are running your leds for heat?
the mh gives off way more heat
i would avoid the oil heater, too much risk of fire

what are your temps looking like?

Yeah i know pops, sounds weird, an led light to provide heat....?

we are just having a weird cold snap half way through winter
the MH does a pretty good job keeping things at anywhere from 19-22 degrees (66 - 71 farenheit)
but adding in the led helps warm the tent up, up to about 21-24 degrees (69-75 farenheit)
thats during a average cold day,
at night with both of them on it sometimes looks grim, lowest i recorded was
12 degrees (53 Farenheit) but like i said, the weather is not constant, most nights its good, out of no where its freezing

the oil fin heater i got now is a bit over powered and the thermostat doesnt go off, i used it once and it got up to 35 degrees in there, (over 100 farenheit)

and to tell you the truth, Ive just gotten over the fact that in order to grow indoors i need to leave a light on, after having it drilled into me that if im not in that room, that light should be turned off, it may take a ruined crop before i can permit myself to leave a heater on in there

i have ordered a smaller oil fin tho (300w) and a thermostat/heat controller to switch it on and off at set temps, but i could be waiting over a week for it to be delivered.

using a 1.45,1.45, 2 metre tent (145cm x145cm x 200cm) 49x49x79inch

RonSmooth

Veteran
you are running your leds for heat?
the mh gives off way more heat
i would avoid the oil heater, too much risk of fire

what are your temps looking like?

What is the risk of fire with an oil heater?

OP- Get a heater with a thermostat. it will only turn on when temps go below the set threshold.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
What is the risk of fire with an oil heater?

OP- Get a heater with a thermostat. it will only turn on when temps go below the set threshold.

you are right mr smooth!

for some reason i had an oil fed heater in mind
i was mistaken

how about closing the tent and letting the 600w heat the area
introduce c02 to really optimise the heat!

Last edited:

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
back to the op
i owuldent worry too much about a short cold spell
esp in the temps you are talking about (66^)
these cold might slow growth but wont really hurt the platns that much

kwikness

Agree. Think about plants growing outdoors. Clouds constantly pass overhead and change the level of light hitting them. Shouldn't be a big deal unless there are periods of NO light.

My thought was you need to invest in that blue styrafoam they use for insulating. I thinkt hey have r-34. You should be able to build walls around your grow for cheap. Then line it with black/white poly... that will make an incredible difference. Also add in the reflective mylar as that helps hold heat in. Here in Montana I have had my grow room drop to 40 degree Fahrenheit and have no issues other than a little lower on the production. However you have a good chance at getting PM when you have big fluctuations. space heaters work for smaller areas but a co2 burner is also a good way to go if you can plumb it into your white gas... bummer thing is that plants need lots of oxygen during the night cycle and these things eat up the oxygem making exchange rates much higher... ode the joy!!

packerfan79

Veteran
I know everyone thinks that cold rooms are not good, but my best crops have always been colder than what is considered best.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
cooler night temps also bring out teh best color

so has this cold spell passed paranoidnz?
what are the temps like now?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
LED won't hurt but neither will those low temps.

Now if your room drops below 50°F, growth slows significantly. Your plants are capable of taking a light freeze & still surviving. I've had plants come back from a sudden drop to 23°F. They lost a few leaves but it wasn't a big deal as far as harvest was concerned.

U

useless.gardens

my best nugz come in fall & winter with less effort in enviro control.

love cooler temps... i get to add a lamp too :)

Heya Pops, yeah nights have kinda settled, I made a bit of a change, was only using 300watts, just put it on full 600watts before I go to bed and back to 300 watts when I wake, that sorted it out,
to be honest ive made a bit of a mess of the plants,
watched about 5 hours of fimming on utube, did a lot of reading, fimmed 3 of them a bit longer then recommended and 2 of them a bit shorter thinking one of these batches are gonna work. I think I just stunted them for 2 weeks, then I topped them last night and as I lay there falling asleep I realized maybe those very little nodes turn into the new stems?
growing weed is actually quite difficult to do well, but I am learning from my mistakes,
humidity is hard to keep high, plants are at 1 month, thought I was doing well, but the more I grow, the more I need to learn.
I do have a strawberry plant in the tent also,that is doing awesome

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
haha rad
you are growing some smoke and a bit of muchies at teh same time

what is your humidity like? as long as its not some crazy desert in there you should be fine
keep them well watered and the should be ok
plus when the cold passes you can incorporate more ambient air, which should help
(lights dry the air)

how do you think youve made a mes of things?
over zealous wiht the plucking
topped them too short?
pruning is a bit stressful to the plant, but as long as she has time to recover you will be rewarded wiht a healthier yield

you are spot on when you say the more you grow the more you need to learn

anything is easy at first, but to do it well it takes practice and experience
weed is no different, it sounds like you want to do your best

keep it up man

Latest posts

Latest posts