What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NoSocSlic's Thread for Growing and Learning

N

NoSocSlic

Harvested Day 67 Flower!

Harvested Day 67 Flower!

I have officially chopped, at day 67 of flower. I sacrificed another small bud to sample, and I really enjoyed it. I have the rest hanging to dry. I chopped at the two main branches and I'm letting each half of the plant dry for approximately 48 hours with all the remaining leaves and branches intact. After 48 hours I am going to trim and hang on single branches.

I can say I definitely didn't hit my original goal of 2 ounces, but I can also say I did get more than one off of her. The buds are fluffy. I can't do much about that until I switch away from CFL's, but I have a decent amount of bud and I love the taste of it. It's only going to get better!

I took a picture of a piece of my sampler bud. I will probably take more after I trim tomorrow, but here is a small nug waiting to be smoked.

I use the slotted toaster quick dry method, that I picked up in my reading somewhere along the way. It's not the quickest way, but the quality of the quick dry far surpasses any other methods I've used. Its pretty simple. Put foil over one of the slots, chop up some bud. Put it in the foil, then run the toaster on its lowest setting. Then let it sit while the residual heat dries it out. Once its cooled off just pop it again. This method takes maybe 45 minutes at the quickest to preferably a couple hours.

Preliminary Smoke Report:

The bud still tastes very sweet, and I expect that flavor to really develop during the cure. Another good quality is that the flavor lingers in the back of your throat and sinuses for a long time. It has a noticeable head high that you feel in your forehead and eyes a lot. It also makes my eyes really red. The high itself isn't over powering, but it gets me pretty high, it's really not too bad. It is definitely good enough bud that I am proud of it. It shows off the characteristics that made me want to grow this particular strain so much... Great flavor with a very pleasant high. I could smoke it all day.

N

NoSocSlic

More pictures!

More pictures!

Awesome sample man! Those amber trichomes are really long. Did they bring much of a couch-lock?

I think you're mistaken. The hairs are called pistils. Trichomes are the crystals. :biggrin: but no not really, it is more of a head high, it's a good mix in my opinion. It is stronger than I thought it would be lol.

I can't keep my sticky fingers out of it. There would be more if I didn't take so many "samples", but I'm happy about it. I'm glad its over and I can finally enjoy some damn decent smoke that I grew!

Here are some more pictures.

BudBongJovi

Lol! Just one of those things you learn early on and just assume is right... Thanks for the correction. Enjoy your earnings man. Well deserved

Cheers,

BBJ

N

NoSocSlic

I am still enjoying it. Everything on that paper plate in the picture is hanging still, but I also took a little stash of really fresh stuff. Enough to fill up my grinder. I am smoking on it now, and I just have to say again how much I love this smoke. It really took on the traits of the buds I got the seeds from, unlike the last plant I grew.

Also, after I trimmed, I got to scrape off the shears. I put the bit of kief I scraped on top of a bowl, and when I smoked that I got more high than I have been in months... that tasted amazing. I have all the trimmings in the freezer. I am gonna shake it of inside some aluminum window screen to collect a little more.

BudBongJovi

Reminds me of the time I christened my new friends bong with a layer of jack heurer followed by a layer of kief followed by a layer of white lightning followed by kief. Basically a birthday cake. I sat in my car gone blind for probably 20 minutes before I could see again and drive home. Oh I miss those days.

BBJ

N

NoSocSlic

I just barely got the nugs into a jar in time! When I first dropped them in the initial rh reading was 50%. 24 hours later it was 55% and 24 hours after that it was 58% and now it seems stabilized there. So, it is curing... but I probably should have gotten them in the jar a bit sooner. The plant dried in 5 days. I think the next run I do, I will try letting the whole plant dry for 5 days instead of 2. Then I'll trim it down into individual branches after that to stretch out the dry a bit longer.

BudBongJovi

That's a shame man! But yeah definitely try that out next time around. I've never heard of that way but it sounds like it has its benefits.

N

NoSocSlic

Just a quick update on the harvest. Everything is done and over. I have a stash of weed in a small mason jar put away to store for 2 months. Whats left I have been and will be smoking on. I can't really give an accurate weight on this grow. I would low ball it at an ounce even, but I can't be positive. I was too excited to smoke some. I really enjoy the bud itself. It has a good flavor and a pleasant high. I do know I want to try something different next time though. I have a stash of seeds I've collected. Actually I have way more seeds than I really need. I would like to get some real genetics soon.

I am thinking about what I am going to do next. I want to bump that ounce up to two or three next time. I don't know how exactly I plan on doing it but that's the goal. I am thinking of trying a 12/12 from seed grow with 12 small plants SOG style. That assumes that the plants will cooperate and stay small though. I think if I limit the container sizes I could pull it off. I don't know if that's what I am going to do yet, but it is one of my thoughts. Regardless, I want to run more than one plant next time. I envy people who are set up for HID lighting. Its what I want to do, but I need a better place to do it IMO. Maybe I'm just being a pussy, but enough said. I will be starting something up soon.

N

NoSocSlic

Up next....

Up next....

So its a sad day in the sense that I have very little left from my last run. I had a nice little smoke session last night and thought I would share some cheesy coloring I did while high as a kite last night. I think it accurately portrays the wonderfulness of the weed I grew! =))
WARNING: I am no artist lol.

I am starting up another kind of bullshit grow in light of this. I am getting my head right for what I am going to do this winter, but for now I have some seedlings going for an experiment with recycled soil from last run and more bagseed I have collected. Three different strains included and hopefully a cross coming soon. One strain I didn't care for, but the other two include some sativa dominant brick weed, and a nice kushy hybrid that I loved. I am not taking this one very seriously because I am pretty busy with a new job and a couple other projects. Here's the first picture though.

The main goal of this is to show new growers how little it takes to grow SOME weed of your own.

N

NoSocSlic

and now...

and now...

I threw the young seedlings into 24 oz cups tonight, and changed to a 12/12 schedule. The females will take at least a few weeks to show, if not 4 or 5. Hopefully, and ideally, the males will show well before and I can collect their pollen before the ladies get started. If not I have a make shift cabinet on the lower portion of my closet where I can isolate them for pollen collection. The males are going to be staying in their 24 oz containers, and the females are going into 2 liter containers I think, we'll see a few weeks from now. Only 1 male will be making the cut. I have high hopes for one specific seedling to be my father. It was the best of the 3 different strains, but hope in one hand, shit in another and see which one fills up faster right?

Last edited:
N

NoSocSlic

Day 1 of Flower for the Three of the Ladies

Day 1 of Flower for the Three of the Ladies

Three of the plants showed pistils today. Two have yet to show. I have had two males show and culled one. The chosen male for pollination is the tallest one in the front at the moment. There are still two plants I'm waiting on. If one of them turns male it will likely be my choice for the father. I don't know if I want the sat dom strain to be my male, but if its my only choice then so be it.

At this point the other two would have probably show male if they were going to. They are the two runts of the litter. One of them is my favorite, of the three strains. The sat dom strain definitely got me the highest so having it as the father isn't so bad. In about 10 days everything should be well distinguished.

N

NoSocSlic

Alright so sex is determined all around now. There are 5 ladies and 3 strains. The sat-dom is going to be the father, I'll talk about that in a second because a problem arose there. Three ladies are of the same strain, It was a very leafy indica bud. I didn't like it much, but they are the dankest smelling plants in the room. One lady is the sat-dom strain. So there will be a pure mix of that. The last one and my favorite was a very kushy strain that I really liked. So 4 Indica heavy strain are in the works and one very sativa strain. All are going to get the sativa genes mixed in for the next round.

Now my problem is with the male that showed sex on the 15th. I though I would at least have 3 or 4 days if not a couple weeks to separate my male, but I looked this morning and a couple sacs have already opened and released pollen. The girls have barely gotten going. Is that going to cause problems? Should I remove the male now or wait until a little more pollen is released? The females might have between 4 and 10 sets of pistils. Its my first time screwing with males and seeds so this is all a learning experience for me.

N

NoSocSlic

I think I found the answer to my question. there shouldn't be any problem with the male opening up so early. It may not be ideal but it is fine. I am going to leave him up with the ladies for about a week then pull him out. That will give the seeds more than ample time to develop. I don't want premature seeds so I am happy that pollination occurred now as opposed to too late. A week or 2 from now would've been best but its okay.

So I have three strains. My plan is to breed the kush strain with the lesser of the three that smells the dankest. That will be my next run. I think I may cull the runt of that strain this go around. Since I am making seeds the genetics of that plant aren't desirable. It flowered last, is the shortest, and doesn't have the dank smell.

Anyway, after breeding those two, I will need at least 3 more runs to stabilize the genetics to get the short stature from the kush strain and the dankness of the other strain. After I am satisfied with the result, I will be breeding it with the sativa strain that I am keeping intact now. Then another several runs to stabilize those genetics. Finally, I will back cross with the kush/sat strain that is seeding now and stabilize again before I will have the strain I am attempting to make. It sounds like I am going to be doing this for a good long while lol. It is really fun though, and plans do change over time.

N

NoSocSlic

About 2 Weeks In

About 2 Weeks In

The ladies are pollinated and seeding. I'm about 2 weeks in now and have removed the father. Now its just a waiting game.

N

NoSocSlic

I got everything repotted to the final pots tonight. I ran a little late on the final repot. The lowest leaves yellowed and died off on a couple plants. I'm hoping some of these are done in about 5 weeks. Some should be done in 6 weeks for sure though. I am guessing the sativa dom will go 12 weeks. This is all learning for me. This is the first time I've ran multiple plants, and the first time with different seeds. All of my previous experience was with my Chicago bagseed.

I was originally thinking of 12/12 from seed but I instead vegged about a week and a half then switched. Everything flowered right around the same time exactly 30 days after the sprouts popped their heads out. Flowering started between 10/20 and 10/25. I have done well to keep things labeled and organized so far. After this I will technically have 3 new strains of weed. I have about 10 seeds of something I really want to try also. I'll be starting up a second grow to find parents as soon as this one is done.

pics soon

N

NoSocSlic

Day 25 Flower

Day 25 Flower

I've got some pictures. They are not great photos but they'll do for now. I have them labeled according to the batch of seeds they came from. Sh1 was originally my favorite batch, but the plant is kind of runtish. The bud is lacking calyxes and not standing out really. I may scrap the seeds. The J 1 and 2 surprised me. They are skunky and showing good resin production. J3 is the runt of that litter and has much less odor. R1 is being the star of the show. It is the tallest plant (and also the stretchiest), but it has a sour aroma and is packing on resin pretty quickly. That should give this girl flavor. The father plant came from that batch as well, so the seeds from that should be pretty great for back crossing later.

N

NoSocSlic

Well I guess shit happens... I was rushing to get my plants watered today before work and one of them dumped over. Soil all over the floor, snap on the main stem means shes done for.... bummer. J2 is no longer with us and I doubt any of the seeds are mature enough. Its unfortunate but I can be glad that it was only one and not my favorite one of the bunch or of that strain. Ill get some pictures up soon of the 4 ladies I have left.

N

NoSocSlic

Man! Sorry for not getting pictures up yet. I am on an upside down schedule right now and working a ton. There is nothing really impressive about the plants anyway. They are small and have seeds lol. That is about it. 6 weeks and some change into flower now. The lower fans have died off on most of them, and honestly they look a bit disheveled. Nitrogen deficiency mostly, but cal/mag and PK as well. They would love to be fed something. I am just riding things out as long as I can. The seeds should be mature now and I am just going to let them go a week or two more most likely.

It was a sad day when I dropped the one plant. Not a single mature seed in the entire bunch. That's the first plant I ever lost. Lesson learned and I have moved on. I am really looking forward to growing out some of these seeds I've made though. R1 is still my favorite and is technically the same strain as it started. Sh1 is actually looking better to me now. Its packed on more resin. I expect that one to have the best taste if its at all like its mom, and R1 to have the most effect (and still good flavor). I know its a bit of a misnomer but R1 came from some killer brick weed. It got me so high that I thought I was gonna have an anxiety attack whenever I smoked it. The cross between R1 and Sh1 should be interesting and hopefully awesome. J1 and J3 are the lesser in my mind. I did smoke the bud off the lost plant. It got me high but mostly just made me sleepy. I think the crosses from those are going to lack luster IMO. On a side note J3 was the runt and last to flower but she is really packing on some resin as well. Overall the bud is wispy though and I still am not a huge fan. J1 is the worst looking plant. Very leafy and short thin pistils. I don't think the J family are going to work out very well. I guess I will find out eventually.

I am off work Wed and Thur so I will do my best to get some bud pics. Again there is not much to see. They are small and seedy, that's about it. I am looking forward to closing this one up, and starting fresh with new dirt and pot sizes that are more suitable. The cannabis plant really is amazing with its ability to tolerate harsh conditions. Man, old dirt and small pots, the plants are short on nutes and rootbound, but still very much alive and kicking. Their misery will be over soon. I will still be chucking some pollen this next run, but I am excited to start up round 2 of this experiment in just a few short weeks.